Recommend A Movie Thread....

I'm not referring to 80% of the great, thoughtful posts. I'm referring to people mentioning Lord of the Rings or Spiderman 2. Don't tell me that there's people here who either haven't seen them or need to see them posted on here to be aware of their reputation and/or significance.

ANYHOO... Here's a few: Tim Burton's Ed Wood. Most people here love Burton, and hold a number of his films in high regard, but this one is definitely underseen and rarely mentioned.

Others: Chris Nolan's Following (a great trial run for Memento), Stanley Kubrick's Paths Of Glory, The Lookout, Maria Full of Grace, The Woodsman and Bringing Up Baby.

Fair enough for those, but I wouldn't assume people know about Fight Club, Se7en or movies along those lines regardless of cult following and instant classic.

Hell I work with people who have not seen Fight Club or Pulp Fiction.

isn't it the point of this thread to recommend movies other than really well known movies?

Reccomending Spider-man in a board dedicated to superhero movies is kinda silly.

I've met some people who haven't seen Fight Club and thanked me afterwards after reccomending it to them. It's funny that after all these years, Fight Club is still misunderstood as just a 'fighting movie' to people who haven't seen it. Sometimes, it's a struggle to get them to see it because of that.

Last edited:
For so long I've been recommending this movie: 'Glengarry Glen Ross'

Love GlenGary GlenRoss. One of my favorite quotes of all time:
"Coffee's for closers"

Ill watch anything written by Mamet.He never disappoints. So I'm going to recommend one.One good Mamet deserves another.
"Edmond" with William H Macy.
By the end of the movie you'll be saying to yourself "What the hell Am I watching here??!"
Always a good effect.

Wonder Woman
The best of the DCU direct-to-video movies so far. Great voice cast, strong action sequences, and clever writing. If only Joel Silver and co. could get their act together and pull the same thing off in live action.

Once
Charming, moving musical romance from Ireland. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova are perfectly natural and the soundtrack (including the Oscar-winning "Falling Slowly") is top-notch.

In Bruges
Very sharp, very funny, very surprising hitman comedy/drama/thriller with excellent performances from Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes. Martin McDonagh's script in particular was robbed at Oscar time.

SLC Punk
Free Enterprise (I think a lot of people here will relate to the movie geekness of the characters.)
Wonder Boys

Oh, Sling Blade is a film I absolutely love. Billy Bob Thornton is stunning.

...and the same can be said for Sam Raimi's A Simple Plan which is also a little-seen modern masterpiece.

The Soloist. Just saw this movie last night. It is not the typical feel good Hollywood movie. If you have read the book you may be a little disappointed, but that doesn't mean it is bad. It is basically just a story about life, and how it can and does often suck. But it does contain moments of very bright spots.

Some ones that are underrated, forgotten, or otherwise not talked about that much:

Miller's Crossing
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Quiz Show
Gattaca
Pleasantville
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Lookout
Layer Cake
Big Trouble

Ed Wood was mentioned as well. I don't know if it falls under this category, but it's a great movie and Burton's best.

Spy Game : Tony Scott's best film to date and simply a great film. Brad Pitt does some good work but it is Robert Redford's Nathan Muir who truly elevates the film into the realm of the greatest spy flicks ever made.

American Beauty : I saw it a couple of days ago, yes, shame on me for being 10 years late but still better than never. Kevin Spacey really knocks it out of the ballpark in this masterpiece that switches between laugh-out-loud hilarious and thought-provoking in the blink of an eye. Do. No. Miss. It.

The Insider : Heat and Collateral seem to get the most press when it comes to Michael Mann films but few pay attention to The Insider - his most mature work to date. It is thrilling, sophisticated and incredibly well-made. One of the understated performances of Al Pacino's career and arguably Russell Crowe's best work to date.

All The President's Men : It's a shame that so few people know of this incredibly underrated classic. To me, it is the genre-defining detective movie. The film has very little music and absolutely no action but will grab you by the balls and won't let go until the end credits as Woodward and Bernstein come under fire from the Nixon camp for their penetrating investigation into the Watergate scandal.

Gandhi : Again, another one of those highly-acclaimed films that very few people are familiar with (I don't get why this film almost never makes any Top 10 lists even though it is every bit as deserving, if not more), even though it is an 8-Oscar winning biographical account of one of the greatest revolutionaries in human history. This is a massive epic along the lines of Lawrence of Arabia (don't forget to watch this one too!) the heart of which is as big as its ambitious scope. And yes, that is SIR Ben Kingsley playing the role of the little man in loincloth.

I'll post more later...

Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of fleet street-
I absolutely hate musicals but Burton has presented it such a way that it's impossible to hate.
It is a sad, twisted tale of revenge.

Coraline. - If you like Gaimen, well then you will probably like this. The visuals took about 5-10 minutes to get used to. They animation was off at first and seemed a bit strange. But it didn't take too long to get used to and the story was enjoyable.

I absolutely hate musicals but Burton has presented it such a way that it's impossible to hate.

I really enjoyed this movie. It was quite refreshing.

American Beauty

One of Spacey's best performances. Love it.

Sweeney Todd is among my favorite movies, there's nothing quite like it. It's hilarious that, although he says he generally hates musicals, Burton's responsible for my two favorites, Sweeney and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Some great films I've watched recently which I would recommend
Crank
A Scanner Darkly
Out for Justice
Total Recall
RoboCop
Wall Street
Flatliners
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and 2
Apollo 13

Spy Game : Tony Scott's best film to date and simply a great film. Brad Pitt does some good work but it is Robert Redford's Nathan Muir who truly elevates the film into the realm of the greatest spy flicks ever made.

American Beauty : I saw it a couple of days ago, yes, shame on me for being 10 years late but still better than never. Kevin Spacey really knocks it out of the ballpark in this masterpiece that switches between laugh-out-loud hilarious and thought-provoking in the blink of an eye. Do. No. Miss. It.

The Insider : Heat and Collateral seem to get the most press when it comes to Michael Mann films but few pay attention to The Insider - his most mature work to date. It is thrilling, sophisticated and incredibly well-made. One of the understated performances of Al Pacino's career and arguably Russell Crowe's best work to date.

All The President's Men : It's a shame that so few people know of this incredibly underrated classic. To me, it is the genre-defining detective movie. The film has very little music and absolutely no action but will grab you by the balls and won't let go until the end credits as Woodward and Bernstein come under fire from the Nixon camp for their penetrating investigation into the Watergate scandal.

Gandhi : Again, another one of those highly-acclaimed films that very few people are familiar with (I don't get why this film almost never makes any Top 10 lists even though it is every bit as deserving, if not more), even though it is an 8-Oscar winning biographical account of one of the greatest revolutionaries in human history. This is a massive epic along the lines of Lawrence of Arabia (don't forget to watch this one too!) the heart of which is as big as its ambitious scope. And yes, that is SIR Ben Kingsley playing the role of the little man in loincloth.

I'll post more later...
I haven't seen the rest but these two are excellent. Highly recommended.

Bigger Stronger Faster
bigger_stronger_faster_ver6.jpg

If you have any questions that professional athletes in this country or others use PED, Performance Enhancing Drugs, then look no further. This movie is very well done, but not just to bash the idea of PED (commonly known as Steroids, HGH and others) but also to help enlighten those that choose to watch this moving. This movie also attempts to debunk the negativity commonly associated with PEDs.

Can steroids have a long lasting positive effect for the sick? I highly recommend this movie. If you are in denial about professional athletes "cheating" or think that anyone is clean that smashes records that were once thought unapproachable then you have to watch this movie. :up: :up:

Avatar. I went in thinking, well I hope this isn't as bad as it seems. Came out and the movie total over delivered. Very awesome, for the nay sayers the visuals in the movie alone are worth 3-D.

I saw it both in IMAX and regular 3-D and unless you are at a full fledged IMAX theatre (not one that has been converted) it didn't make much difference.

Very good movie I highly recommend :up:

A film I watched recently that I would recommend is Kim Tae-yong and Min Kyu-dong's Memento Mori, the second of the underrated Whispering Corridors trilogy, and am particularly looking forward to watching the uncut version.

Also, Lucky McKee's The Woods. I don't know if this is less well-known than May and Angela Bettis's Roman, but I found it very effective.

Everyone watch Memento as soon as possible. That is all.

Boy A

Really great character study. Powerful movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"