Red Sonja

I know she's a very predictable choice, but

7f9303bb93032af101ad148948774032--dragon-rider-retelling.jpg

Unfortunately she's probably too old by Hollywood standards.
Honestly, I think she'd be great.

Eiza Gonzalez with red hair or Christina Hendricks. I won't accept any other casting choice.

:o

She's supposed to be 6'0 in the books so they may go with an unknown unless there's somebody that height the fanboys like.

She's supposed to be 6'0 in the books so they may go with an unknown unless there's somebody that height the fanboys like.

Well, I suppose the tall blonde lady knight from GoT can be hnnngh with the right material. I'll give her a shot.

If you start with an origin story and are planning for a franchise, you probably want someone youngish. Christie is 40; Hendricks is 44.

She could still be 5'10" - 5'11". Those heights are not far off. As long as she looks tall and everyone else is not towering over her.

I'd rather they go with a relative unknown anyway. I want her to be a better actress than Brigitte Nielsen though.

Honestly as long as the actress actually looks like a warrior I don't care about her height. Unlike Wonder Woman, Sonja is just a regular woman who's really good with weapons and her body needs to reflect that. I want a muscular, ripped Sonja.

648e65f6db8e5aa66e790ea0ebf5165d.jpg

Oh who am I kidding. This is Hollywood we're talking about, we're not getting that.

Honestly, I think she'd be great.
She would but as I already said they'll probably go with a younger (and lesser known) actress.

How red should her hair be? Like Ariel in the Little Mermaid or Mera in Aquaman? Or more of a natural shade of red like Jean Grey in Dark Phoenix?

I personally want it a dark red, almost auburn.

Also can a mod change the name of this thread? Bryan Singer is clearly not directing this anymore.

She's old by Hollywood female standards, let's be real about it. They'll cast them to play supporting characters or villains but leads....it's a crapshoot. Though to this day I still have to applaud the dude from Super Troopers actually managing to get her. That was a win for us all lol.

Age aside, Hendricks was never exactly a movie star, despite coming up plenty on the internet. But, I mean, fancast away.

If you want someone who looks vaguely like Hendricks but is younger, then there's always Elena Satine:

d846a1d5de54af8330d10c5c8b906332.jpg

140e83bdbe0de60c.jpg

But I wouldn't really want her in the role and think she'd make it too TV-ish. But then, so would Hendricks.

She does have the kind of red hair I'd want for Red Sonja though.

Last edited:
Young Joanna Cassidy would have made a pretty good Sonja. Statuesque (see her 'exotic dancer' get-up in Blade Runner) and a very good actress.

Can’t say I know this character well… or, actually, at all. I did see the Nielsen movie (back in the Pleistocene age). But beyond thinking it was worse than Conan the Destroyer, I (mercifully?) have no clear memory of it. :cwink:

Anyhoo… one wonders whether these pulp fiction-y, sword-and-sorcery stories are still viable. Conan the Barbarian (almost 40 years ago) is arguably the apex of this genre. But methinks it’s been downhill ever since.

Moreover, Millennium Films (under Avi Lerner - known for its somewhat schlocky output) and Soloway (progressive “non-binary and gender non-conforming” feminist) strikes me as an odd - though interesting :word: - pairing. Presumably, Soloway is prepared to deliver on the genre requirements and expectations (action, adventure, violence, etc.). But will “they” (Soloway) also subvert the subject/character in order to explore a more “political” agenda? If so, I can’t see that going over well with the audience that this material is usually aimed at.

:thf:

Depends on how much people are attached to the chain mail bikini.

That's so iconic that if they don't at least have a nod to that, she'll just be a generic barbarian.

I definitely don't want a black leather jumpsuit.

This flick needs to be the proper amount of sexist. Yes, I do believe there is a good amount of balance of that in movies. I know there is a director already attached, but I was kinda hoping for Coralie Fargeat (directed REVENGE). She has the proper amount of sexiness with badass, just brutal relentless in the way she shoots violence, but still does so with care.

Hendricks in her Firefly days would have been perfect, now I could maybe see someone like Karen Gillan in the role.

In an interview, Soloway talks very briefly about Red Sonja. First, she mentions her interest in stories and themes that attempt to “heal the divided feminine” - and that this will be her approach to RS. More concretely: “I can really have so much fun with Red Sonja. I see her a little bit more like the first kind of bad girl superhero. Sort of like the Batman of The Dark Knight or Deadpool…”

:thf: :shrug:

‘Transparent’s Jill Soloway On Finale Musical. Jeffrey Tambor’s Exit + More – Deadline

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"