The Avengers Renner Talks Hawkeye, Suit, and Black Widow

I remember him talking about it and it came off as him recounting how Marvel presented it to him. Like, "This is the character and here's how we're going to portray him." I didn't get the sense that he was trying to dictate how the costumes were designed.
All he thinks that he knows is that it;s not gonna be a "big, purple comics sort of thing" and I don't think anyone is expecting it to be a carbon copy of the comics. But unlike many of the negative views on the comic costumes, I, along with others, don't see Marvel Studios deviating so far away from the design where it doesn't look like Hawkeye.
he did a good job. i just don't like howard, his eyes always look watery, like he wants to cry. but he did a good job.
Agreed, I found him decent, but compared to the rest of the actors and their roles, he really wasn't as passionate about his roles as his costars have been.

Thor isnt really wearing a costume its his armor and same goes for iron man. Cap really is wearing a costume. yes he is wearing it to inspire but its still a costume. all im saying is that if u dont have someone else wearing an actual mask like cap is he is going to look like the odd one out (im not saying cap wouldnt fit in but he would be the only one that is trying to be a masked superhero). im guessing shield give cap a new costume so if they would give him one why not someone else. like say hawkeye. I think hawkeyes Ultimates three costume could pass as a shield issued outfit.
I know they said hawkeyes costume will be more like a uniform but even still they could make it work. Why would it be so unrealistic. Mute the colors and the mask would be something that could easily slide up and down his face

Last edited:
Ultimates 3 is one of his worst costumes to date. No inspiration should be taken from it.

I thought it made alot more sense then having a wolverine nock off mask but what do i know. I loved the original costume dont get me wrong but i liked the assassin vibe the new one gave off.

And Spider-man mask with hair is better? Along with a purple-hued Punisher costume? No thanks. It's ugly. :whatever:

Thor isnt really wearing a costume its his armor and same goes for iron man. Cap really is wearing a costume. yes he is wearing it to inspire but its still a costume. all im saying is that if u dont have someone else wearing an actual mask like cap is he is going to look like the odd one out (im not saying cap wouldnt fit in but he would be the only one that is trying to be a masked superhero).

Like I said, Cap had a specific set of circumstances to give him that look. Unless they have a specific set of circumstances of Hawkeye, then he shouldn't be going for that look. They gave reasons for every other character, they're not going to have one character just randomly dress up as a super hero. They didn't spend all that time to give Cap a reason for his red, white, and blue get up just to have a guy in purple tights come out of nowhere for no reason. I would be fine with the Ultimates costume because it looks like something a SHIELD soldier would wear and won't need much explanation.

Last edited:
i say just give him the Ultimates 2 costume with purple detail instead of red

what's wrong with this

108917-138190-hawkeye_super.jpg

with purple replacing the red?

First his mask is a Wolverine "knock off", his Ultimate 3 is a Spidey Punisher knock off, and now you want a movie costume of the X-Uniform of Colossus with a purple arrow pointing downward.

It's boring, plain, and not Hawkeye. Well, not good Hawkeye at least.

First his mask is a Wolverine "knock off", his Ultimate 3 is a Spidey Punisher knock off, and now you want a movie costume of the X-Uniform of Colossus with a purple arrow pointing downward.

It's boring, plain, and not Hawkeye. Well, not good Hawkeye at least.

i didn't say any of those things. i'm looking at this as Hawkeye being a SHIELD agent that becomes an Avenger, so like Black Widow he has a more basic uniform with a bit of personal flair.

He really should be a superhero who becomes an Avenger.

Even in the new cartoon (where he's wearing his costume) he's a former agent of SHIELD. I'd say this will soon be the interpretation of Hawkeye in all forms of media other than the comics, like it is for Widow

It's stupid. What government agency would let one of their agents (one with impeccable aim at that) use as primitive a weapon as a bow and arrow? Having him be an archery using superhero and/or circus perfomer makes far more sense, since those professions emphasize more outlandish and unique styles.

It's stupid. What government agency would let one of their agents (one with impeccable aim at that) use as primitive a weapon as a bow and arrow? Having him be an archery using superhero and/or circus perfomer makes far more sense, since those professions emphasize more outlandish and unique styles.

It really doesn't make any sense for a person who is good with a bow to think he should go fight crime. Everyone in the movieverse is either a really good SHIELD agent or a superhero because they got a unique power. Iron Man has a extremely powerful suit that the military would love to have. Hawkeye has a weapon that has been outclassed centuries ago.

If an agent is super effective with a bow and arrow, I don't think the agency is going to complain. It's more plausible that Hawkeye as an agent is allowed a specialty weapon. Especially in spy thriller movie logic where agents are often given a gimmick weapon. Hawkeye is insanely accurate with a bow, and if he's able to out perform a regular gun-wielding soldier with a bow then Fury isn't going to tell him to put it away. And a soldier that good is probably going to have enough clout to use his weapon of choice anyway.

Last edited:
i figure the arrow is so he can extract them later. so he will never leave a trace behind just bodies. also the bow is quiet and good for covert ops. it's not like he will use an old bow, it's gonna be a compound bow probably.

i figure the arrow is so he can extract them later. so he will never leave a trace behind just bodies. also the bow is quiet and good for covert ops. it's not like he will use an old bow, it's gonna be a compound bow probably.

That's a good point. A lot of stealthy agents in fiction (particularly in video games) use cross bows or mini crossbows. It's not too much of a stretch to have one that uses a bow. That would be a good way to introduce him.

Last edited:
If an agent is super effective with a bow and arrow, I don't think the agency is going to complain. It's more plausible that Hawkeye as an agent is allowed a specialty weapon. Especially in spy thriller movie logic where agents are often given a gimmick weapon. Hawkeye is insanely accurate with a bow, and if he's able to out perform a regular gun-wielding soldier with a bow then Fury isn't going to tell him to put it away. And a soldier that good is probably going to have enough clout to use his weapon of choice anyway.

One might compare this to an NBA coach who knows a player is shooting free throws all wrong....but the guy is hitting 90% of them....so what the heck...go for it man!

I'd prefer some variation of the first Ultimates suit with various shades of purple. Not necessarily with the big arrow pointing at his crotch, but something like that.

Me too. I would give him sort of mask/night vision goggles that kind of plays off of his original mask. Not as extreme but takes cues from it. Maybe by the end of the movie Steve or Tony can come up to Clint and tell him, we spoke to Fury and its cool with him for you to join as a member of the Avengers. This way he no longer has to abide by SHIELD' s strict rules and he could do whatever he wants as far as what he wears. Come Avengers 2 people know him as a hero now and he could wear something more costumey.

Last edited:
Or he can just be a superhero agent and wear his costume.

Yes, the first character in the movies to just wear a costume and become a superhero for the heck of it. No one in the general audience is going to bat an eye about that and it's not going to make all the build up they did for the other characters seem pointless.

Again, I love how the anti-comic based costume posters keep speaking for the general audience. :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"