The Avengers Renner Talks Hawkeye, Suit, and Black Widow

I'm not anti costume. For me, I want Hawkeye to fit in to this film universe and make sense. So far every hero's look has great reasoning for wearing costumes. If they already stated that he is a SHIELD operative possibly BW's partner then I understand him not wearing a "hero" costume but once he does become one, then go for it.

Again, I love how the anti-comic based costume posters keep speaking for the general audience. :whatever:

Again, I love how pro-comic based costume posters refuse to realize there is a reason they built up everyone else's motivations to becoming a hero and putting on a costume in the films so far. And how they still want heroes to just put on a costume because that's how it is in the comics and everyone knows that films where heroes' motivations aren't really established do better then ones where they are. But of course, the general audience want exactly what hardcore comic fans want. A world filled with superheroes everywhere right off the bat where wearing tights is as normal as can be. No build up, no development, no nothing. They totally wasted their time with those solo films, they should have just made Avengers with everyone like "hey, here's my costume and I'm a superhero." Marvel is sooo dumb.

Last edited:
I'm not anti costume. For me, I want Hawkeye to fit in to this film universe and make sense. So far every hero's look has great reasoning for wearing costumes. If they already stated that he is a SHIELD operative possibly BW's partner then I understand him not wearing a "hero" costume but once he does become one, then go for it.
Agreed, but what I'm not sure of from others is why they think they need to have a full movie about it before it happens; especially considering there are plenty of ways of telling his origin story without having it drawn out to take place before the Avengers movie. There's condensed ways of portraying it, flashbacks, etc/
Again, I love how pro-comic based costume posters refuse to realize there is a reason they built up everyone else's motivations to becoming a hero and putting on a costume in the films so far. And how they still want heroes to just put on a costume because that's how it is in the comics and everyone knows that films where heroes' motivations aren't really established do better then ones where they are. But of course, the general audience want exactly what hardcore comic fans want. A world filled with superheroes everywhere right off the bat where wearing tights is as normal as can be. No build up, no development, no nothing. They totally wasted their time with those solo films, they should have just made Avengers with everyone like "hey, here's my costume and I'm a superhero." Marvel is sooo dumb.
I've never mentioned a direct translation from one of his comic costumes, NEVER mentioned tights, and I never said have no build up or development. He can have his solo story/film after the Avengers. Prequels are still made, even by Marvel Studios. I don't recall Iron Man 2 focusing so much as to why Black Widow wears a catsuit or her wrist cartridges.

I don't see how you can compare Black Widow to anyone other then SHIELD Hawkeye with an Ultimate Hawkeye costume. She isn't a superhero either. So you're basically arguing yes, do what they did with Black Widow and make him a SHIELD agent. The reason they didn't have to explain Black Widow is because she doesn't need any immediate and crucial explanation at the moment. SHIELD Hawkeye fits more her example then superhero Hawkeye. And you're basically agreeing with me by saying they can clarify more on him later in a solo film. But about that solo film being a prequel film, they might make a prequel for SHIELD Hawkeye like they might do for Black Widow but they're not going to put super hero Hawkeye in this film without an explanation probably for the same reason they're not using superheroes Giant Man and Wasp. Some things can be accepted off the bat and then clarified later but some things NEED development and built up at the moment. Why a guy would put on a purple costume and fight crime just because he is good with a bow is the latter.

As for them having time in the film, I don't think so. And devoting too much time to explaining Hawkeye in the first film is going to upset general audiences who have to watch this new comer with a bow and purple costume instead of Robert Downey Jr or whatever. Save it for a sequel when the team is more established or for a solo film.

Last edited:
what's wrong with this

108917-138190-hawkeye_super.jpg

with purple replacing the red?

The fact that it sucks? :oldrazz:

I don't see how you can compare Black Widow to anyone other then SHIELD Hawkeye with an Ultimate Hawkeye costume. She isn't a superhero either. So you're basically arguing yes, do what they did with Black Widow and make him a SHIELD agent. The reason they didn't have to explain Black Widow is because she doesn't need any immediate and crucial explanation at the moment.
And neither would Hawkeye if the costume is designed and made right.
There is hope for us all

And neither would Hawkeye if the costume is designed and made right.

Yes, as a SHIELD agent. A superhero would require some explanation no matter how you slice it. There has to be a reason this guy decided to put on a costume and go out and fight crime with a bow and a costume. If they had enough time then I would say go ahead but I think if they had enough time they would have planned to use Hank Pym and Janet instead of Black Widow and Hawkeye. I think the reason they're using those two characters is specifically because they are easy to explain as just being SHIELD agentss.

Yes, the first character in the movies to just wear a costume and become a superhero for the heck of it. No one in the general audience is going to bat an eye about that and it's not going to make all the build up they did for the other characters seem pointless.

No. It's not. I don't see why it would. The point of the build up in Iron Man wasn't to justify his having a flashy costume. That was justified by him wanting "hot rod red" for the hell of it. The build up was his decision to start doing something to make the world better.

But we got to see Tony's personality through out the movie and his choice to paint his armor red and gold was no big deal. The audience got to understand his flare for the dramatic and being the center of attention. Plus the fact that he didn't even get that colorful suit until layer in the film.

Last edited:
No. It's not. I don't see why it would. The point of the build up in Iron Man wasn't to justify his having a flashy costume. That was justified by him wanting "hot rod red" for the hell of it. The build up was his decision to start doing something to make the world better.

The point of Iron Man was to explain why he would put on a suit of armor and fight crime so yes it was to justify the flashy costume because his armor is the flashy costume. And even if you were to argue just the aesthetic look of it that Tony's ultimately settled on... as marcvader said, the way they built up Tony's personality made his comment of "put a little hot red in there" fit perfectly with how we had seen him thus far. He always was flashy with everything he did and he thought the suit looked boring with one color. They already explained the suit by that point and now Tony's personality convinced him to add a second color to spice it up. There was no huge leap in logic between the gold suit to the red and gold suit.

Last edited:

I agree. Lets ignore that the stubbly head makes him look like someone recovering from chemotherapy. His costume is in the area Matrix wannabe and most superheroes shouldn't look like they just came from a leather fetish shop.

I'm all for an adaption or different take on his costume, but the Ultimates didn't really do it.

Something like a black stealth ops suit (with kevlar, bullet-proof vest etc) and the odd flash of dark blue and dark purple on it. Then maybe do something like make his bow purple and purple feathers on his arrows are a must.

The point of Iron Man was to explain why he would put on a suit of armor and fight crime so yes it was to justify the flashy costume because his armor is the flashy costume. And even if you were to argue just the aesthetic look of it that Tony's ultimately settled on... as marcvader said, the way they built up Tony's personality made his comment of "put a little hot red in there" fit perfectly with how we had seen him thus far. He always was flashy with everything he did and he thought the suit looked boring with one color. They already explained the suit by that point and now Tony's personality convinced him to add a second color to spice it up. There was no huge leap in logic between the gold suit to the red and gold suit.

Where can I find a decent size picture of the image from spider-man 2 that your avy is taken from?

I'm wondering if any of the other SHIELD agents get uniforms like in the comics; or is it just special agents like Black Widow and, in this case, Hawkeye.

Seeing as Coulson and his team only seem to wear suits, I'm guessing it's only special agents.

i think those are their undercover suits. then when they are on the helicarrier they might get geared up. so far as i could tell shield wasn't public knowledge yet, just a branch of the government that dealt with homeland security. i'm sure no one knows about the heli carrier(if it's built yet). so in the avengers we might get a more battle ready suit with the gear and harnesses. maybe kinda like swat team gear or something.

The outfits the SHIELD troops wore inside that military instillation in the Thor comic con trailer will probably be their combat gear.

forgot about those, you're probably right. they were all black, hope they have a shield logo though, couldn't really see them that good.

just watched The Hurt Locker. needless to say i am PUMPED to see Renner play Hawkeye. hes damn near perfect.

just watched The Hurt Locker. needless to say i am PUMPED to see Renner play Hawkeye. hes damn near perfect.

I saw 'The Town' on Wednesday night, he was very good in that. Even if his character was a complete psycho, he did a good job. Just borrowed Hurt Locker from a friend, looking forward to watching that over the weekend.

Also, why are we arguing so much about Hawkeye's costume? Surely the real question is how they're gonna get Agent Romanoff into an even tighter catsuit with more cleavage on show? :p

just curious if you guys ever seen renner sing? saw him on jimmy fallon and he sang really great.

[YT]D59UmrawGh0[/YT]

I agree. Lets ignore that the stubbly head makes him look like someone recovering from chemotherapy. His costume is in the area Matrix wannabe and most superheroes shouldn't look like they just came from a leather fetish shop.

I'm all for an adaption or different take on his costume, but the Ultimates didn't really do it.

oh excellent, we're bringing an extra layer of poor taste to our reasonings.

The Ultimates volume 1 & 2 uniforms do look a bit Matrixy, but to be fair the first scene that introduced us to Natasha and Clint was pretty much the lobby scene from matrix.

I would rather not have that uniform. But I do want him in costume. I think some semblance of his Ultimates Vol 3 uniform combined with elements of his current (Hawkeye and Mockingbird - NOT Bendis Avengers) 616 costume would work well. Those who think purple, or spandex(ish), or a mask, or the loincloth thingie would look ridiculous and ill-fitting for a military man/SHIELD agent are entitled to their opinions, and have a point, to a degree. But if we use this spin on Clint, then those parts of his uniform not only will look fine, but will also fit with his status as a SHIELD special agent, and with his personality and the nature of change to create a superhero team - not a superpowered special forces team.

Backstory starts off as in 616 - Clint Barton raised with his brother in the circus, and mentored in archery, sword fighting, and acrobatics by the Swordsman and Trickshot. Switch it up a little, and years later, after finding out his mentors are in fact criminals using the circus as a means of moving from town to town and them having brought his brother on board, Clint joins the Marines and becomes a sniper. He serves several tours before finding killing is getting to him and decides to retire. SHIELD however doesn't want to lose such a phenomenal skill, so offers him a position with them, where he takes up the bow again as a means of using his skill, but with more room for incapacitating, wounding and disarming without killing (except when absolutely necessary of course). He becomes comfortable in this role, and the performer side of him starts to come out again, acrobatics and bravado becoming more and more a part of his approach. Perfect candidate for the Avenger Initiative.

Brighter colours, tighter fitting clothes, and even the loin cloth and mask would therefore suit his performer/soldier/acrobat/archer/ more.

The Ultimates volume 1 & 2 uniforms do look a bit Matrixy, but to be fair the first scene that introduced us to Natasha and Clint was pretty much the lobby scene from matrix.

I would rather not have that uniform. But I do want him in costume. I think some semblance of his Ultimates Vol 3 uniform combined with elements of his current (Hawkeye and Mockingbird - NOT Bendis Avengers) 616 costume would work well. Those who think purple, or spandex(ish), or a mask, or the loincloth thingie would look ridiculous and ill-fitting for a military man/SHIELD agent are entitled to their opinions, and have a point, to a degree. But if we use this spin on Clint, then those parts of his uniform not only will look fine, but will also fit with his status as a SHIELD special agent, and with his personality and the nature of change to create a superhero team - not a superpowered special forces team.

Backstory starts off as in 616 - Clint Barton raised with his brother in the circus, and mentored in archery, sword fighting, and acrobatics by the Swordsman and Trickshot. Switch it up a little, and years later, after finding out his mentors are in fact criminals using the circus as a means of moving from town to town and them having brought his brother on board, Clint joins the Marines and becomes a sniper. He serves several tours before finding killing is getting to him and decides to retire. SHIELD however doesn't want to lose such a phenomenal skill, so offers him a position with them, where he takes up the bow again as a means of using his skill, but with more room for incapacitating, wounding and disarming without killing (except when absolutely necessary of course). He becomes comfortable in this role, and the performer side of him starts to come out again, acrobatics and bravado becoming more and more a part of his approach. Perfect candidate for the Avenger Initiative.

Brighter colours, tighter fitting clothes, and even the loin cloth and mask would therefore suit his performer/soldier/acrobat/archer/ more.

I'd include even more of his 616 backstory, honestly. Becoming a vigilante outlaw after his circus days, running across Black Widow while she's on a mission, and he's recruited into SHIELD on her recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"