Revenge of the Sith Revenge of the Sith Apreciation Thread

"Failed, I have."

I always felt there was a lot more regret behind that line than it simply referring to how he lost the battle with the Emperor. Yoda knows he and the Jedi lost the larger game and shoulders his share of the blame. That's why he opens himself to Qui-Gon's ways, he knows it's time to unlearn what he has learned.

I think Yoda going into exile after the events of III works better than him deserting in the middle of the war.

I think Yoda going into exile after the events of III works better than him deserting in the middle of the war.

That's not what I was alluding to, more that he was never very involved in the war in the first place. More of a counseling observer than a hands-on military presence.

I was referring to Snow Queen's suggestion of him going to Dagobah earlier in the timeline.

That's a fair point, BLR. Regarding him deserting in the middle of the war especially. Perhaps Lucas could have had him be more of a voice of reason, not taking part in the war in a physical sense as a general and opposing it morally instead. I don't know, personally speaking I'm just not fond of General Yoda. It just doesn't work for me right down to the concept.

Last edited:
I was overall fine with Yoda's role in the prequels and TCW. I like the idea that living through the wars is what makes him jaded about them in the OT.

Yeah, the line "Wars make not one great" takes on a new resonance for sure.

That's not what I was alluding to, more that he was never very involved in the war in the first place. More of a counseling observer than a hands-on military presence.

My issue is that Yoda should have been through wars, but a long time ago. He was 900 when he died. He should have gone off long, long ago to find the real answers in life- to seek reason in solitude, in the force. By the time the Clone Wars happen, he and many other more scholarly Jedi just sit it out, because they know war is hell and that there are no victors.

My issue is that Yoda should have been through wars, but a long time ago. He was 900 when he died. He should have gone off long, long ago to find the real answers in life- to seek reason in solitude, in the force. By the time the Clone Wars happen, he and many other more scholarly Jedi just sit it out, because they know war is hell and that there are no victors.

I would have taken issue with Yoda running to chill on dagobah while other brave Jedi fought to save the Republic.

Yoda is hardly the same character from the OT. They shouldn't have even shown him until Empire.

I wonder if it's ever been brought up so according to the SW timeline EP IV takes place 19 years after EP III, so did it take 19 years for the Death Star to be complete and funtional? I mean damn talk about slacking off.

I wonder if it's ever been brought up so according to the SW timeline EP IV takes place 19 years after EP III, so did it take 19 years for the Death Star to be complete and funtional? I mean damn talk about slacking off.

It was discussed and argued about to death after ROTS came out. It wasn't that they were slacking off. It was the first death star so there were some hiccups. The empire was trying to consolidate its power at the time. And no doubt there were labor issues. Specifically issues capturing enough slaves to use as a work force. These are just a few things that could have slowed the construction of the first death star. I'm not sure whether the new canon novel "Tarkin" explained why it took so long.

I don't even think it's terribly surprising that it would take a really long time to construct a superweapon that's literally the size of a moon. The bigger surprise is that they were able to get the second Death Star as far along as they did over the course of a few years, although the Empire was more firmly established by then and was probably focusing a lot of resource to fast-tracking it in order to make up for the setback of losing the first one to the Rebels.

Ah, I'll miss coming up with theories to fill all the cracks in the canon once Disney/Lucasfilm has explained everything. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
That epilogue with vader in the death star might also be set a year or two after the rest of the events in that film, then you have the fact that a lot of things were probably not going completely well and that they still hadn't perfected the technology to blow up planets.

Maybe there statements that point to the contrary, but what if the Empire had already started work on Death Star II before the Yavin battle? Would make sence for the Emperor to want the Empire to be as overpowered as possible.

Another theory i liked was that the Emperor was weaponizing the Empire because he knew of the eminent Yuzan Vong (was that how they were called?) threat. I never liked those aliens much, but i do like the idea behind them, and it was a sort of interesting twist where the Rebels ended up weakening the galaxy before a bigger threat came.

I would have taken issue with Yoda running to chill on dagobah while other brave Jedi fought to save the Republic.
Yeah, that would have been crappy. I like how it plays out in the movies, because when we finally see him in ESB we can see how he's learned from past mistakes.

That epilogue with vader in the death star might also be set a year or two after the rest of the events in that film, then you have the fact that a lot of things were probably not going completely well and that they still hadn't perfected the technology to blow up planets.

Maybe there statements that point to the contrary, but what if the Empire had already started work on Death Star II before the Yavin battle? Would make sence for the Emperor to want the Empire to be as overpowered as possible.

Another theory i liked was that the Emperor was weaponizing the Empire because he knew of the eminent Yuzan Vong (was that how they were called?) threat. I never liked those aliens much, but i do like the idea behind them, and it was a sort of interesting twist where the Rebels ended up weakening the galaxy before a bigger threat came.

The Vong always felt too much like the BOrg, but surprisingly Filoni had ideas to introduce them in CW. Again thanks for that one Disney, you really couldn't put a few extra bucks from all those Frozen revenues and finish the series properly. I like that they show animatics, but i want fully realized episodes to give closure to those scripts.

As for the second death star, Maquarrie did concept art with tons of death stars, it was always the plan from the very beginning to have this things as an instrument of power. And if you can build 1 death star , why the hell wouldn't you build more? even though i would have fixed that little exhaust port in the second one. And im sure they started working on II years and years before, those things take years to construct

They did a poll in the site for fans to vote on their favorite movie in the saga, Revenge of the Sith is in 2nd place right now

http://www.starwars.com/news/poll-which-star-wars-movie-is-your-favorite
I'd definitely rank ROTS along with ANH and TESB over ROTJ, but this poll is a very pleasant surprise. It nearly matches the consensus of the fans and general audience. ANH and ROTS has been constantly switching back and forth for years in terms of the fans' second favorite Star Wars movie, with TESB always in the lead and ROTJ not trailing too far behind those three. The only two odd ones out really are TPM and AOTC, but it's nice to see them get even a little love.

Last edited:
My top two definitely are:
1. A New Hope
2. Revenge of the Sith.

The others can move around a bit, but those two are always my top 2. I'm surprised ROTJ ranks higher than ANH though.

It's always great to see ROTS get ranked high, I find it very underrated because of the hate the prequels get.

My top two favorite SW films are ESB and ROTS!

I'd definitely rank ROTS along with ANH and TESB over ROTJ, but this poll is a very pleasant surprise. It nearly matches the consensus of the fans and general audience. ANH and ROTS has been constantly switching back and forth for years in terms of the fans' second favorite Star Wars movie, with TESB always in the lead and ROTJ not trailing too far behind those three. The only two odd ones out really are TPM and AOTC, but it's nice to see them get even a little love.
It actually surprises me, due to the hate some vent towards it, to see AOTC ranked slightly higher than TPM. And to me, with all due respect, seeing ROTJ ranked higher than ANH is almost blasphemy lol. That's the magic of movies: one person's hell is another's heaven :woot:

ROTS is easily my favourite of the prequels for several reasons. It contains the most important story - the fall of Anakin and the Jedi, and the rise of the Sith and the Empire. If there had to be just one prequel era story, everyone would choose this hands down. And secondly, I love the darker, doomed atmosphere the film has. It's also quite sad in places, namely the Order 66 sequence. The duel on Mustafar hit all the right notes for me, too, more or less. John Williams also nailed it again with the music. The film had more of an epic feel because we all knew the end was coming. It all came to a head here. Palpatine killing Mace Windu, the Jedi Temple being razed, Anakin killing younglings, etc. It's pretty powerful stuff. And I think ROTS's closer proximity to the classic trilogy also lifts my appreciation.

ROTS is easily my favourite of the prequels for several reasons. It contains the most important story - the fall of Anakin and the Jedi, and the rise of the Sith and the Empire. If there had to be just one prequel era story, everyone would choose this hands down. And secondly, I love the darker, doomed atmosphere the film has. It's also quite sad in places, namely the Order 66 sequence. The duel on Mustafar hit all the right notes for me, too, more or less. John Williams also nailed it again with the music. The film had more of an epic feel because we all knew the end was coming. It all came to a head here. Palpatine killing Mace Windu, the Jedi Temple being razed, Anakin killing younglings, etc. It's pretty powerful stuff. And I think ROTS's closer proximity to the classic trilogy also lifts my appreciation.
Indeed!

For me, one of the most powerful moments is also, of course, the lowering of Vader's helmet and his first breath. Like order 66, that scene just didnt need words lol. The visuals and score to hammer it even deeper are pure magic.

Saw bits and pieces of this on TV the other night. Underrated moment (first line paraphrased because I can't remember)--

"You're asking me to commit treason".
"The Council is asking you".

The reason scenes like Order 66 and Vader being masked were so well handled was due to it being clear that these were the reasons Lucas wanted to make the Prequels in the first place, it seems like telling the tale of the fall of the republic and the jedi was always the story he realy wanted to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"