Revenge of the Sith Apreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episodes I - III' started by Lord, May 19, 2014.

1. PЯOVOSҬ Registered

True.

Whilst it's labelled "PT bashing" I maintain that ROTS with some parts of AOTC is all the fans needed to see re: the backstory.

The rest is tedious and just Lucas doing it "cause he can"

2. titansupes Registered

3. Lord All Mighty

There were some great ideas in there, but i don't believe the final product was as good as it could have been, Lucas should have made a better structure for the Prequel Trilogy than he did and hired better people to rewrite his treatments. If he wanted to Direct, he should have tried Directing other passion projects in order to prepare himself.

While Episodes II and III are the ones with the more important information, i would say that Episode I's the least problematic. Lucas should have had the clone wars start in Episode I or even start before that, that film would be Obi wan meeting Anakin for the first time and the development of their friendship, II would be the middle of the Clone Wars, and III would be the rise of the Emperor and Anakin's fall. As it is, it seems like there are large chunks of plot left between I, II and III, while the original trilogy flows more naturaly, even though it also has years of events that happened in between.

That said, i think Episode III had the right structure:
    Starting with Obi and Anakin's final adventure before the Jedi fall, then going with every main character having to deal with some problem (Anakin is being seduced and trying to help his wife, Obi-Wan is having stuff from the clone wars to deal with, while Palpatine is slowly taking over), finaly culminating with the betrayal of the Jedi and Anakin vs Obi-Wan. The film does do a decent job at letting people know what's happening, you could put this film without having watched Episode II and you don't miss much.

4. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I will say, one of the benefits of starting the saga earlier is you get to really see Palpatine's grand plan in its very earliest of stages. And you get to see how things work in the Republic, without going into full blown war. I appreciated getting to see that stuff. That said, it does feel like a story that could've been told via a novel. It is truly a prologue to the rest of the saga (although the Darth Plagueis novel is even more of a prologue).

I think at the end of the day Lucas was just adamant that he wanted to show Anakin as an innocent little boy and illustrate that he was not born as some bad egg. Ultimately I really don't think the structure is the big flaw of the movies. It's conceivable that you could've kept the same exact structure, just with more polished scripts, better directing...and gotten better movies.

Also, if the whole trilogy had encompassed the Clone Wars, it would've have given them less room to do the fantastic animated series and tell so many great stories without being too tied down by existing canon. So I consider that a blessing in disguise. That series is an important part of SW history, as it kept the flame alive for a lot of fans during a period that was otherwise dormant, and we certainly never expected to see any more movies.

#104 BatLobster, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

[YT]CBgF8Zs4yG4[/YT]

6. brothersthre3 Registered

The scene where Palpatine revealed he was the sith lord was really good. Quite intense for so little actually going on.

The scene where Anakin beheads Dooku was excellent too. Both scenes you can really feel the inner conflict with the character.

There is just enough good in the prequels to make me mad about how much potential was lost.

7. GuestStar2004 Registered

Personally i think revenge of the sith is under appreciated

[​IMG]

8. AnneFan Hathaway #1

An epic moment I waited so long to see.

"I am the senate."

However the Jedi other than Mace went down way too quickly.

9. GuestStar2004 Registered

You could tell Ian McDiarmid was having fun in the role and he is great in it

10. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

That fight sucked. Palpatine should not have had a lightsaber, same as Yoda.

McDiarmid was good, probably the best performance in the movie. But he took it too over the top once he's revealed as evil. I mean, he was over the top in Return of the Jedi but it was scary rather than goofy as it was here.

11. Havok83 Registered

I just saw the film for the first time and absolutely loved it! Definitely the best of the prequels and I enjoyed it more than Revenge of the Jedi. I had my reservations bc I hated Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones wasnt much better. I really enjoyed Anakin's story arc and like how everything came together. Obviously this felt more tied to the OT and as a result came across stronger. The final battle sequence between Anakin and Obi Wan was very well done. Overall great film. and has me pumped to go watch Episode I now

What I didnt get though was why the twins were separated. Didnt make sense to me why Organa didnt take both babies. Vader didnt know that there were two kids so if Sidious ever came looking for his child, it would be more effective to keep the twins together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Real powerful stuff here

12. ImOctavius Registered

I really like the movie. I even think is better than "Return of the Jedi".

I need to see that movie :funny:

13. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I have to say, Mustafar is definitely one of my favorite planets visually in the SW Universe. I think it really found a sweet spot between visual effects, miniatures and footage of Mount Etna's eruption to create a landscape that was absolutely stunning, but there's a sense of credibility to it all despite how impossible and otherwordly it is. You can practically feel the heat coming off the screen.

Definitely exceeded what I imagined when I used to wonder about Anakin and Obi-Wan's fight near the volcano.

14. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

Too bad they spend most of the fight doing gymnastics, platforming on CG structures, and surfing on lava. Also sabre spins.

15. Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

Outside of a couple of awkward moments ("You're breaking my heart!") I thought RotS was fantastic. I really loved it.

16. Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

I agree. I really liked the movie overall but it bugged the loving p!ss out of me how easily Palpatine dispatched the other Jedi. Particularly Kit Fisto, who was built up to be a supposed super bad ass.

17. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

Not of that looked nearly as awkward as a villain beating on his side during a lightsaber duel.

18. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I've been watching the marathon on FX. I forgot how much I really liked the last fight between Anakin and Obi Wan (minus Hayden's acting, of course)

Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels, IMO. That sequence was really well done. I just wish Padme would've actually died in that scene and not "died of a broken heart" later on. It would've been more powerful. The scene of her giving birth and naming her children was kind of corny.

19. GuestStar2004 Registered

I always enjoy watching ROTS.

20. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

I know a lot of people hate this one but I'm among those that really enjoy it. I know the SW clan is gonna come for me after this but believe it or not, ROTS was the first SW DVD I ever bought. :D

21. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Definitely the best of the prequels, and by some way. It’s also held up by far the best of the prequels also. Despite some unavoidably terrible line deliveries (though I blame the lines themselves), I thought Christensen gave a really good performance here also.

Next up in my SW Marathon is Rogue One.

22. Webhead38 Registered

I was part of that original generation that discovered Star Wars in 1977 and I LOVE Revenge of the Sith. I did when it came out and even more so today. It's a timeless classic and belongs next to the best in the series. I hope Ewan McGregor gets his own movie as Obi-Wan. What a great film series that could be.

23. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

I watched this again for Star Wars Day. It's still my favorite of the 11 films. The Mustafar sequence never gets old.

24. Bobber Registered

Can you explain to me what about this film makes it your favourite?
    I've noticed there's been a huge turnaround in the perception of this film, and I just... don't get it.

25. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Personally I have liked ROTS since it was released, its easily the best of the prequels. And I would take it over TLJ any day.