Ridiculous plot hole: am i missing something?

That one been's beaten to death, fortuantely.

OK. Sorry 'bout that. This film made such a minor impression on me that I stopped coming to the GR threads after seeing it. So I"m sure MUCH has been discussed that I simply haven't had any interest in checking up on.

I was very surprised at Ghost Rider; SMJ tried very hard to tell the story of Daredevil seriously and create a 3D central character. With Ghost Rider, I think he realised the central premise is so ridiculous that it could only work as an overblown, cartoonish B-movie. We're talking about a biker with a flaming skull here, riding around judging evil-doers. Played by Nicolas Cage. It's never going to be taken seriously by the audience, so SMJ doesn't either. Ghost Rider is the most tongue-in-cheek superhero movie since....I was going to say Catwoman, but Catwoman takes itself more seriously.

Now, I know many fans will read that paragraph, and think that because I said Ghost Rider is not 100% po-faced seriousness, and compare it to Catwoman, that I'm saying Ghost Rider sucks for these reasons. I'm not.

It does suck, but that's because the script is lazy, the acting is awful (Mendes and Bentley especially), the direction is by-the-numbers....and because Ghost Rider is simply not cinematic material. It barely works in comicbooks, it doesn't work at all in a movie.

I think GR is totally cinematic material, visually the movie was very good IMO, and simply the image of GR was obviously enough to 'get bums in seat's' so to speak. Its just that the story could have been handled better.

well i know its all a " plot hole " movie if u may say that but i didnt give a damn coz i loved it for what it is and those plots didnt bother me at all i mean saying " how come this and that bla bla " makes u sound very real and realistic ok if ur realistic then does GR even exist?? lol

i mean come on u have to chill out and enjoy it coz its GR !!!!

First of all, your writing is atrocious. If English isn't your first language, I can sort of forgive you. Second of all, I'm not just going to enjoy a film on general principle. It still needs to be a good film, and GR wasn't. There has to be a firm establishment of his powers and how they function. This crap where the sun's rising, but he can still use his powers if he's in the shadows, it really doesn't fly with me. Basically, it can be high noon, and as long as he's in a shadow, he can use his powers.

The bottom line is, if you're going to establish that harm inflicted upon him as Ghost Rider carries over to his human body, you have to follow through with that.

Not to mention all the other flawed aspects of the film.

Second of all, I'm not just going to enjoy a film on general principle. It still needs to be a good film, and GR wasn't. There has to be a firm establishment of his powers and how they function. This crap where the sun's rising, but he can still use his powers if he's in the shadows, it really doesn't fly with me. Basically, it can be high noon, and as long as he's in a shadow, he can use his powers.

The bottom line is, if you're going to establish that harm inflicted upon him as Ghost Rider carries over to his human body, you have to follow through with that.

Not to mention all the other flawed aspects of the film.

In terms of when he could use his powers...at first the film generally established that every night in the presence of evil he would transform.
Then, as he gained control over his powers, it was also established he could transform at will as long as he is in darkness.

In terms of the wound being carried over, that is indeed, a plothole really. While the audience on their own can invent answers for it...nothing about it was established in the film.

Superman Returns for instance managed to create plotholes with Kryptonite that you can drive a semi through...and this is with a rather simple weakness that most everyone knows about already.

Both GR and SR for example have a similar plothole like this...and the difference between GR and SR to me is that I enjoyed GR while I didn't hugely enjoy SR.

My understanding was that if Johhny had stayed as the Ghost Rider for longer after getting the knife wound it would've healed. So because he was running around as Ghost Rider, killing demons after the cops riddled him with bullets he was OK, but if the cops had shot him a couple of minutes before daylight he would've been screwed.

My understanding was that if Johhny had stayed as the Ghost Rider for longer after getting the knife wound it would've healed. So because he was running around as Ghost Rider, killing demons after the cops riddled him with bullets he was OK, but if the cops had shot him a couple of minutes before daylight he would've been screwed.

I think the reason why he was wounded was because was that the 1st posession was not complete and Johnny was fighting for control until the end, you could see that when GR is screaming at the cemetary when he is giving posession back to Johnny.

When they work together and JB gives himself up to the Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider protects him from bodily injury.

from all these possible reasons for the plotholes, it sounds like you guys should have written the script. b/c i bet msj didnt even think of reasons why things happened or didnt happen.

Well thats how i saw it also, but it could have been explained better in the movie.

It does suck, but that's because the script is lazy, the acting is awful (Mendes and Bentley especially), the direction is by-the-numbers....and because Ghost Rider is simply not cinematic material. It barely works in comicbooks, it doesn't work at all in a movie.

The reason this thread exists isn't just because this is a lazy script... It's a script that was beaten into submission by the action co-ordinator's story boards... which were also lazy.

And the direction was beyond by-the-numbers... It was as cliched as a 80's anti-drug commercial. "How's my driving" jokes are SO old. uncreative, and unfunny that, given the 4 hours it takes to set up a shot, everyone involved with the film should never be hired again. 4 hours and nobody onset was either bothered or convincing enough to get that scene changed.

A lot of people tear Cage up, but actually, I dig him in this movie. But Mendez? W...T...F...

And the reason I'm writing this is because I really disagree with your last statement - I agree that he doesn't work as a comic too well. But that's for the same reason that Holden Caufeild wouldn't make a great comic. That's because the character's struggle doesn't go much beyond two or three major themes. GR's has had those three beaten to death over the course of 30 years. This franchise had the potential to be an AMAZING two or three movies. It could have been jam-packed with 6 hours of depth, action and tragedy. GR, in my mind, should have been a post-modern Dr. Faust, with all the epic and misery that Goethe and Marlowe described. But no... We got magic 8-Balls and middle fingers and a hundred plot holes. We got MSJ. And that's depressing.

Not really a plot hole, but did anyone else catch this? Field-goal to field-goal is NOT 300 feet. Goal line to goal line is 300 feet. Field-goal to field-goal is actually 360 feet (given the 10-yards per endzone).

Once again, I'm sure this has been discussed to disgusting degrees somewhere else on these boards, but I hadn't seen it.

Field-goal to field-goal is NOT 300 feet. Goal line to goal line is 300 feet. Field-goal to field-goal is actually 360 feet (given the 10-yards per endzone).
Well, I didn't know that, and it's a 10-to-1 probability, in my opinion, that the difference between "field goal" and "goal line" isn't really common knowledge, except to diehard football fans. The majority of viewers probably just thought, "Yeah it's 300; 100 yard x 3 feet, makes sense." I know I did. At best, it's a minor technicality that most wouldn't even blink over.

I'm not sure whether this has been asked before, but i dont see anything on the front page so i'm gonna ask it anyways.

On Ghost Rider's first night out, that punk that's attacking that fat goth chick stabs Ghost Rider in the shoulder with a knife, and he seems unaffected by it. However, the next day, we see the Caretaker sewing up a knife wound in his back. So from that, we can assume that while Ghost Rider is unaffected by mortal weapons, Johnny Blaze will feel the effects when he powers down.

So... didn't Ghost Rider get shot the f*** up? Shoulnd't he have powered down only to be ridden with bullet holes? I mean, it seems he cant even die in normal form, so how would that work? Would he just have to pick a bunch of bullets out of him or what?
I'mwatching it again now, and I was just about to ask the same thing. I thought that made no sense about the knife wound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"