Robert Pattinson IS The Batman

He also gushed over Christian Bale in another interview. I wouldn't think too much on it.
Oh I'm not. I just think Pattinson has the same natural intensity as Keaton. The other actors didn't have it, imo. Though Affleck rose to the occasion and acted it well enough.

Nah man, Bale ain’t half as intense as Affleck ‘cuz Affleck punches faster and stuff.

In terms of intensity though, I'd rather see Pattinson emulate how Conroy does intensity in interrogations and the like, in the Animated Series and Arkham City especially. Where rather than just being Mr Angry Man, there's just that slight threatening yet completely calm tone in his voice that just says to you this man could make you wish for death. I'd argue that is way more intimidating than Bale's Mr Angry Man version. Not to say that Bale was a bad Batman, but...let's be real, he was hardly perfect

Eh. Intensity is dependent on the situation. Bale has displayed moments of intensity without being angry or over-the-top like that scene with Flass. To name a few examples are his first meeting with Rachel as Batman and the interrogation of Maroni.

Eh. Intensity is dependent on the situation. Bale has displayed moments of intensity without being angry or over-the-top like that scene with Flass. To name a few examples are his first meeting with Rachel as Batman and the interrogation of Maroni.

The Rachel meeting's the only one I agree with. The interrogation of Maroni had Bale practically yelling every line once he dropped Maroni. Then you compare that to how Kevin Conroy does a similar interrogation, where he wants the location of someone

It's night and day.

The Rachel meeting's the only one I agree with. The interrogation of Maroni had Bale practically yelling every line once he dropped Maroni. Then you compare that to how Kevin Conroy does a similar interrogation, where he wants the location of someone

It's night and day.

Nah. That's yelling, man. Maybe subdued in a kind of way but still yelling.

Nah. That's yelling, man. Maybe subdued in a kind of way but still yelling.

In the sense that hes raising his voice, sure. But Bale's full blown screaming out of rage. Conroy's just raising his voice while maintaining a calm tone.

Kevin conroy is the best batman. Watching the animated series fully again and playing the arkham games. Like its not even close anymore for me.

His voice. His bruce wayne and batman characters. His silent intimidation. He perfectly captures batman and bruce wayne.

Yeah, he seems pretty chill here.

Dude cool it with the sarcasm. I'm not as keen on your favourite Batman or whatever. It happens...

And anyways I should think it was obvious that I was referring to the idea of intensity as something more abstract and dispositional a quality than just mere yelling. If you were to sum up intensity as just mere yelling, then Keaton's Batman would hardly meet such a qualification, as he never yelled during his time in the role. Yet few would argue that Keaton was ever anything short of intense in the part.

Likewise with Affleck: his moments of intensity do not stem from those embarrassing moments of wayward anger and shouting ('WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!'), they stem from the scenes where Bruce is staring at the Robin costume with a haunted look in his eyes or when he's at Luthor's party and just barely able to mask his contempt for Superman.

Both Keaton and Affleck possessed a haunted quality and an air of simmering rage that threatened to boil over at any minute. That's what I was personally referring to when I said 'intensity'.

So yeah, a video clip of Bale yelling at some guy has not had the slam dunk effect on me that you perhaps thought it would.

Last edited:
Bale comes across as too try-hard for my tastes. I love the Nolan films but Bale's Batman has aged terribly for me. I'd comfortably put Keaton and Affleck above him.

Bale was always at his best out of the cowl. He seamlessly weaved between being charismatic and intense. He was the perfect portrayal of a classic Bruce Wayne.

In the cowl, all that personality seemed to be evaporate. I blame that on Nolan more than Bale.

Keaton can be intense, but I can't help but feel he still is goofy-looking.

I put Bale over Affleck because frankly Bale is just a better actor than Affleck. Also "intense" is not a word I'd use to ever describe Ben Affleck.

Bingo. Affleck’s attempts at intensity (as Batman/Bruce) are laughable. Like that “1% certainty” speech. It sounds so forced. Like, “Gee, if I say this line really fast, people will think I mean it.” He does better with intensity when he’s playing a character he has a handle on, like in The Town.

Last edited:
The most insanely super intense moment in Batman history, is in TDK, when Batman strung up Joker, and intensely shouted, “DIZZZ CITY....JUST SHOWED URRRR.....DATZZ ITZZZ FURLLL OF PURPLE.....READY TO BURWEVE IN GURRRRD!!!!!!”.

Peak Batman :brucebat:

The most insanely super intense moment in Batman history, is in TDK, when Batman strung up Joker, and intensely shouted, “DIZZZ CITY....JUST SHOWED URRRR.....DATZZ ITZZZ FURLLL OF PURPLE.....READY TO BURWEVE IN GURRRRD!!!!!!”.

Peak Batman :brucebat:

I know you're being sarcastic, but no, that was probably the most cringey Bale sounded the whole trilogy.

Bale was always at his best out of the cowl. He seamlessly weaved between being charismatic and intense. He was the perfect portrayal of a classic Bruce Wayne.

In the cowl, all that personality seemed to be evaporate. I blame that on Nolan more than Bale.

Bale went over-the-top with the voice, especially in TDK (I don't think it was bad for the most part in Begins).

Both Keaton and Affleck possessed a haunted quality and an air of simmering rage that threatened to boil over at any minute.

This is exactly how I felt about Robert's role in High Life. That kind of subdued and silent anger just waiting to burst. I was even afraid of him at times, his silence just felt unnerving. I think he'll do a great job as a calmer and less yelling Batman.

tumblr_prvg6yrHIe1r9ulgpo1_540.gif

I agree. He was way more subtle and believable than Affleck as Bruce Wayne. His Batman was too over the top unfortunately.

Affleck's Bruce Wayne and Batman on the other hand never really felt natural to me. There was always something off about it. But he still kinda did a good job.

Yes, he was a great Bruce Wayne, but laughably terrible Batman.

I do think Pattinson can play a Bruce more in a Keaton-ish vein, that kind of quiet introverted simmer and the sense that he's a little "off" himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"