Robert Pattinson IS The Batman

Best Batman ever!

I’m excited for the sequel cause I feel like there is so much growth that can take place with his Bruce abs relationship with Alfred

Pattinson gave a bad place of a performance as a year two very girty Batman. However I can't say he's the best Batman. In my opinion that's still Christian Bale in Batman Begins & The Dark Knight.

Pattinson Batman is raw and very much inexperienced but he's also hollow in that his Bruce Wayne is non existent. It's a shell not even a mask. He has no disguise of yet to the public. Hopefully in the sequel. He grows to develop an image of the persona .

In Batman Begins Christian gave multiple layers of Bruce Wayne that is the closest thing to the comics and especially Batman: The Animated Series.

Pattinson Batman is raw and very much inexperienced but he's also hollow in that his Bruce Wayne is non existent. It's a shell not even a mask. He has no disguise of yet to the public. Hopefully in the sequel. He grows to develop an image of the persona .

Yeah, I felt like that was deliberate and by design. I think the events of the film will push him to explore the good he can do for Gotham as Bruce Wayne as well as Batman.

I don't think we ever really had the perfect Batman. For awhile my favorite was Bale but it had more to do with how Nolan adapted the character than Bale himself.

Pattinson I feel is the closest we ever got and makes the strongest impression amongst all the actors as Batman.
The verdict on his Bruce Wayne is still out though as he's portraying Bruce at a different stage in his life and we see very little of this alter ego, so future films will determine this. That said Pattinson's Bruce feels EXACTLY like the bitter and moody Bruce that we saw for for a year or two after Jason Todd died in the comics.

Last edited:
I think I am just a bit weary of going into sequels with expectations of "he's going to be the fully formed Bruce Wayne we know". Unless there's a big time jump it feels like it would be a big leap to all of a sudden see him with a more colorful personality and whatnot.

They could do it, I'm just not sure. I'm in this really weird position of thinking Pattinson could potentially be the best Batman yet but also my least favorite Bruce Wayne. Yes, even below Clooney. Strange dichotomy.

I respect the emo take as a way to differentiate this version. But the sooner we can get away from that hair and the goth rock star vibes, the better for me. I suspect we won't though, at least not immediately. We'll see.

The funny thing was the reviews making MCR jokes… if anything he was looking like Trent Reznor from the mid-90’s; Downward Spiral vibes.

The funny thing was the reviews making MCR jokes… if anything he was looking like Trent Reznor from the mid-90’s; Downward Spiral vibes.

I could see that too.

emo.... jesus, find new words to describe things

Would you prefer if I said grunge or goth or post-punk? Matt Reeves explicitly talks about his take on Bruce Wayne as a rock star. Regardless of what genre you want to put it in, I think that general 80s/90s music scene is a fair reference point based solely on what Reeves himself has said was his inspiration.

I'm a music geek. I didn't mean it as the pejorative that people sometimes throw thet terms around as. I think it actually applies here to the aesthetic they went with. In terms of I get a touch of Robert Smith vibes from his appearance in the film. I also said I respect the choice and the room it gives Bruce to grow, but it's just not my favorite take.

Emo is so post-2000. Yes, bands like Braid, My Bloody Valentine, and The Promise Ring had emo vibes, but they were more post-grunge meets alternative.

Emo didn't really kick in until Brand New, Thursday, Say Anything. And even more so with the larger more anthemic second wave of Emo... which I didn't truly care, for like Panic At The Disco!, My Chemical Romance [they do have two great LPs], and Fall Out Boy.

Matt is pulling more from 1991 through 1995; Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NIN.

FNAa-_HXIAQZsob

...hot.

Emo is so post-2000. Yes bands like Braid, My Bloody Valentine, and The Promise Ring had emo vibes, but they were more post-grunge meets alternative.

Emo didn't really kick in until Brand New, Thursday, Say Anything. And even more so with the larger more anthemic second wave of Emo... which I didn't truly care, for like Panic At The Disco!, My Chemical Romance [they do have two great LPs], and Fall Out Boy.

Not to turn this thread into a total music nerd out, but technically "emo" as a term did originate in the 80s. Granted, I think generally people throw the term around in terms of the aesthetic of the 00s wave and the look of MCR, Panic, etc. But you kind of had the seeds of planted in the 80s hardcore punk scene, and then you had bands like Fugazi in the 90s. There's a lineage there. And I think how massive Nirvana was and the explosion of the punk and indie scene has to be noted, they're pretty much like the Beatles to so much of what came after IMO. And obviously, Nirvana is a key piece when it comes to this film.

So when I use the term I'm really using it to represent a larger stew of influences that I sense, not like "LOL his hair is floppy he looks emoooo"

Nirvana was definitely "emotional" but the term grunge was around for a reason. And yes, emo has been around since Punk started. But, Punk is punk. bad place, R.E.M. could be Emo - yet we don't do that as music fans. They were alternative/college rock.

@antsman41 Let me say that I think there are lot of superhero nerds who don't know enough about music and use the term 'emo' in a blanket way, and I totally get the gripe with that. Didn't mean to play into that, especially since I'm a musician and music fan myself (more of a metal guy though).

Put it this way....if I had to imagine a playlist for this Bruce, I would imagine there's (obviously) Nirvana, maybe NIN, The Cure, The Smiths, etc. It would probably be a lot sad, dreary stuff. At least that's how imagine it. I don't think he listens to MCR or Panic at the Disco, lol.

But the larger point is that I can kind of imagine the music he listens to. That's not something I ever felt about previous Batmen although it is my head canon that Bale listened to Pantera with his "FIVE MINUTES ALONE" growl at Gordon LOL.

Last edited:
The embrace of emo/goth imagery, usually considered feminine to some degree (the way the term "Emo" was used as a pejorative in the 2000s always felt like it had a layer of veiled homophobia under it), for a character as hyper-masculine as Batman is so good. It's also just absurdly fitting.

Not so much anymore but the hair, eyeliner, etc. would have been downright trollishly provocative like ten years ago.

Pattinson was forking great. He had this immensity to him. A Robert Mitchum meets Boris Karloff presence as Bruce and Batman. It helped Pattinson was shot where it took advantage of his height. He feels huge in the frame.

It's apples and oranges, if we're talking heroic Batman, Bale has that in spades and just as great in his own way. But Pattinson is more in line with how I see Batman. A scary guy. Haven't seen that since Keaton.

As usual, it really comes down to preference. Which is a testament to Pattinson for carving a place for himself among everyone.

Pattinson definitely had the most 'creepily imposing' and haunted presence on screen as Batman since Keaton.

He's really only competing with nostalgia for me. I adore and draw inspiration from Bale's heroic, yet 'primal rage' Batman, and it's hard to understate just how massive a shift it was to go from Adam West to what Keaton brought to life in an extremely restrictive suit in 1989. Pattinson immediately catapulted himself into the top-tier for sure.

I think you can say Rob had a lot of the best qualities of all the best in his portrayal. The mystique of Keaton. The rage and intensity that Bale had. The brutality of Affleck when it came to the fights. He was obviously gifted an enormous amount of screentime in the suit, as well as the cowl that gave him the most room to act and a suit that let him act with his body. But he definitely stepped up to the plate and made Batman fans proud.

Also, I'm sorry....no offense to anyone who loves Batfleck, but performance-wise, I don't understand how anyone could say that's anywhere in the same league as what Rob does in the suit, with his eyes. I could never get past how it just feels like Ben Affleck with a voice modulator. Say what you will about Bale's voice, but he at least committed to something, and I feel he was an entirely different creature when he was in the suit vs. when he was Bruce Wayne.

I think we're due for a come to Jesus moment about how Affleck gets mainly gets praised because of the comics accurate suit, the Martha rescue sequence, and the fact that Ben admittedly got jacked as bad place for the role. I think Affleck was a very solid Bruce Wayne in BvS, but his Batman was nothing special for me unless we're strictly talking that one action sequence...which is not Affleck doing the stunts.

Last edited:
Pattinson definitely had the most 'creepily imposing' and haunted presence on screen as Batman since Keaton.

He's really only competing with nostalgia for me. I adore and draw inspiration from Bale's heroic, yet 'primal rage' Batman, and it's hard to understate just how massive a shift it was to go from Adam West to what Keaton brought to life in an extremely restrictive suit in 1989. Pattinson immediately catapulted himself into the top-tier for sure.

I think you can say Rob had a lot of the best qualities of all the best in his portrayal. The mystique of Keaton. The rage and intensity that Bale had. The brutality of Affleck when it came to the fights. He was obviously gifted an enormous amount of screentime in the suit, as well as the cowl that gave him the most room to act and a suit that let him act with his body. But he definitely stepped up to the plate and made Batman fans proud.

Also, I'm sorry....no offense to anyone who loves Batfleck, but performance-wise, I don't understand how anyone could say that's anywhere in the same league as what Rob does in the suit, with his eyes. I could never get past how it just feels like Ben Affleck with a voice modulator. Say what you will about Bale's voice, but he at least committed to something, and I feel he was an entirely different creature when he was in the suit vs. when he was Bruce Wayne.

I think we're due for a come to Jesus moment about how Affleck gets mainly gets praised because of the comics accurate suit, the Martha rescue sequence, and the fact that Ben admittedly got jacked as bad place for the role. I think Affleck was a very solid Bruce Wayne in BvS, but his Batman was nothing special for me unless we're strictly talking that one action sequence...which is not Affleck doing the stunts.
thor-really.gif

Did he though?

In all honesty, while Ben did get in better shape, it was far from one of the most impressive superhero transformations we've seen. It was half CGI. If you compare the infamous t-shirt paparazzi shots from casting to filming, Ben doesn't look that different. It's not a Bale Begins situation, or close to any of the big MCU stars.

Yeah, I felt like that was deliberate and by design. I think the events of the film will push him to explore the good he can do for Gotham as Bruce Wayne as well as Batman.

I think a completely separate subplot about Bruce helping the city in the 2nd movie would be interesting.

It could be Bruce trying get approval to build a new apartment complex in a rundown area.

The Batman part could be him fighting there and then a big explosion levels it.

I feel like this movie setup an interesting dynamic we haven't seen before for a sequel where the Batman becomes a city beloved hero and symbol and Bruce Wayne and his family name becomes the hatred and untrusting magnet.

I liked his Batman but his Bruce Wayne needs to be more distinct. I don’t expect him to be another Bale-like dumb playboy but hopefully not as emo next time.

I imagine he'll realize that he has to do more as both Batman and Bruce since the arc points to him realizing using solely fear and vengeance won't cut it.

Pattinson was a revelation in the suit. He's up there with Bale for me. Both Bale and Pattinson are leagues ahead of Affleck's mess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"