Robin or no Robin?

The answer is, obviously, Robin. The answer has always been Robin.

I'm glad that the climate has changed such that we can actually have this conversation. "Back in my day," if you mentioned Robin out loud you were a goddamn heretic and they burned you at the stake. I spent years arguing about the matter with internet grubs who became mysteriously silent when Robin's costume appeared in BVS.

The truth, which is abundantly clear to anyone who actually reads Batman, is that Robin is the single most important supporting figure in his history. It's not even a debate. So the entire attitude that Batman "can't work" with Robin is inconceivable. The opposite is true: no version of Batman can be complete with Robin.

I'd love to see a Robin origin story. Tim Drake's origin fits in nicely with the frustratingly brutal (and oafish) Batman seen in BVS; at this stage he very much needs someone to pull him out of his Donald Trump funk.

It won't happen, but it would be cool.

Bah, no Robin. If there's one hero that should be as lonely as possible is Batman.

No Robin. At least not in this movie.

I wanted Robin (and a Bat Family in general) in this universe. I don't think we're getting one, which is a huge misstep.

I suppose it's not impossible. Reveal that Dick and Barbara are living in Bludhaven, having been estranged from Bruce because of how violent and angry he had become after Jason's death. If this Batman's character arc is about redemption, then that can include making amends with his former partners.

But such is the problem with starting out with an older Batman. Affleck will only play this character so many times, and it's impossible to do justice to the Bat Family as a whole at this point.

Maybe someday we'll get that high-end Batman television series.

Last edited:
I personally want them to go all out with the Bat Family, and at this point why not? Dick could be retired as Robin and eventually transition into Nightwing, Jason could be "dead" and return as Red Hood, and the movies could introduce either Tim or Damian as the current Robin. Throw in Batgirl and Batwoman into the fray eventually too. I don't know why there's a stigma around a cinematic Bat Family. Batman and Robin was a bad movie because it was a bad movie.

http://www.newsarama.com/30941-marvel-actor-wants-to-play-ben-affleck-s-robin.html

I hope Dick Grayson is around, and will eventually go on to have a rivalry with Deathstroke.

Why not Tim? I think he's a little too old to play Damian anyway.

I'd love for Nightwing to appear and for us to see Jason Todd's Robin in a flashback or two but personally I don't care to ever see Robin in the DCEU otherwise.

I'm impressed with Ryan Potter's test fight video. If I were Affleck, I'd at least have a talk with him.

Since Johns cowrote the script with Affleck, I wonder if he advocated for the inclusion of Robin in the solo film.

I suppose we will find out.

After watching that I may have changed my mind, still maybe Ryan Potter could be Nightwing

I wanted Robin (and a Bat Family in general) in this universe. I don't think we're getting one, which is a huge misstep.

I suppose it's not impossible. Reveal that Dick and Barbara are living in Bludhaven, having been estranged from Bruce because of how violent and angry he had become after Jason's death. If this Batman's character arc is about redemption, then that can include making amends with his former partners.

But such is the problem with starting out with an older Batman. Affleck will only play this character so many times, and it's impossible to do justice to the Bat Family as a whole at this point.

Maybe someday we'll get that high-end Batman television series.

I tend to think an older Batman is actually more likely to have a Batfamily; if an executive doubts the viability of a classic kid/teenager Robin as a sidekick, you've got a scenario to deploy an adult Nightwing right off the bat. Not to mention that this Batman has had a Robin in the form of Jason Todd. To me, that says that Snyder and others want to have Nightwing exist, and may just be trying to get WB to approve it.
http://www.newsarama.com/30941-marvel-actor-wants-to-play-ben-affleck-s-robin.html

I don't get this. Why Tim Drake? Damien Wayne is Arab/Asian-American. Why not Damien?

Tim's older and would have an American accent, not to mention he already resembles characters the actor has already made his name portraying. Damian gets a lot of appeal from being a dimunitive brat with a posh accent and having an alien view of life.

Yeah, wouldn't an older Bruce just make it easier for them to include the entire Bat family as adults? We've had a Robin, Nightwing can be out there, Barbara can also be Oracle at this point. Would be a great way to differentiate from the Nolan films.

The point I was trying to make is that with Affleck, we could very well end up only getting one solo film for his Batman. So it begs the question as to why they would even bring a new Robin (Tim or Damian) into the fold at this point. And considering how traumatic Robin's death was for him in BvS, what's the likelihood that he would bring in another child to take up the mantle?

Yes, can still bring Dick and Barbara into the DCEU as Nightwing and Batgirl/Oracle respectively (which I'd love), but we'd still only be getting a small chapter of their storied careers as crimefighters.

When you've got an actor who's only contracted for two JL films and one Batman film, there's only so much you can accomplish with the Bat Family on screen. That's what I was trying to get at.

I'd like a couple Nightwing scenes, like a brief introduction to the character with him also helping Batman in the main boss fight. No living Robin, but flashbacks to Jason Todd.

Penn Badgley for Nightwing
Jack O'Connell for younger Jason Todd (Obviously Jensen Ackles for adult Todd/Red Hood)

I am totally into this.

The point I was trying to make is that with Affleck, we could very well end up only getting one solo film for his Batman. So it begs the question as to why they would even bring a new Robin (Tim or Damian) into the fold at this point. And considering how traumatic Robin's death was for him in BvS, what's the likelihood that he would bring in another child to take up the mantle?
I think that's why it makes more sense to do Robin, really.

Yes, can still bring Dick and Barbara into the DCEU as Nightwing and Batgirl/Oracle respectively (which I'd love), but we'd still only be getting a small chapter of their storied careers as crimefighters.

When you've got an actor who's only contracted for two JL films and one Batman film, there's only so much you can accomplish with the Bat Family on screen. That's what I was trying to get at.
I think you may be approaching this from the viewpoint of a Bat-family that will largely share the screen, while others of us are thinking of the members as individual properties that should eventually operate seperately from Bruce. Nightwing's the most obvious. People have been bandying about the idea of having Nightwing show up and lead the Titans in the Cyborg movie since that thing was announced, and I'm not alone in thinking Dick could both hold down a solo film himself or go the Grant Morrison route and don the cowl as Batman with Damian as Robin.

There's the classic Batfamily setup, which I'd want to see, and then there's the post-90's style Batbrand setup, which I'd love to see. I mean, while I'm interested in seeing the Dynamic Duo, I'm not as infatuated with that idea as I am with Nightwing being portrayed as Batman's equal in all ways and Robins and Batgirls who frequently act as solo operatives, perhaps with some strategic oversight. And while classic Batfamily does require Batfleck for multiple movies, the Batbrand doesn't; it's preferable to have Bruce there, but not necessary.

Edit: To clarify, I think that you could introduce Dick and Babs in the Batman solo, then have them as the nucleus for the family's expansion with any of the other characters. Both have teams they lead and a history of mentoring other characters, and I could easily see Dick partnering with any of the other Robins, not just Damian, and we know that Oracle can operate with both Steoh and Cass while cooperating with Batwoman and Huntress. And Affleck seems like the type of practical fan who would produce such films or maybe do some light acting in them if they were profitable.

Last edited:
I see. Excellent points all around. :up:

I think it'd be cool if a Robin shows up. Other than that little nod in The Dark Knight Rises, there hasn't been one on the big screen yet so it'd be bringing something new to the table.

I think it'd be cool if a Robin shows up. Other than that little nod in The Dark Knight Rises, there hasn't been one on the big screen yet so it'd be bringing something new to the table.

In the modern era yes but we have had one on the big screen

Robin_Batman_Forever.jpg

It is high time they start embracing the Bat family, so I want to see Robin/Nightwing/Batgirl all in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"