Rolling Stones thread(and 'new' unreleased song)

david icke

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ok, i looked over all 18 pages and there is no Stones thread surprisingly, so in celebration that they have released a previously unreleased song from the 'Exile on Main Street' sessions, 'Plundered my soul', I am kicking off this thread.
Yes, I have some selfish personal reasons for doing this too, as I am having problems with youtube, and want to try and imbed the new song so I can hear it again, I have only heard it once in passing on the radio, lol.

But, the Stones were the 1st band I fell in love with when I was first getting into music, thanks to an old vinyl copy of Beggars Banquet left behind by one of my siblings. I soon got other albums, when i got my first stereo(I had played BB on an old decrepit stereo with only one working speaker), Goats Head Soup and 'Exile'.
Exile on Main Street is still one of fav albums of all time, definitely my fav album by a band, as opposed to a solo artist or bird/whale sounds etc

I would say that their best albums are in the period covering BB, Sticky fingers, Let it Bleed and Exile, i think this is a pretty common opinion to have as they are very strong works.
The two albums that bookend that period, 'Satanic Majesties' and 'Goat's Head soup' are underrated I think, even though they are not as good as the 4 between.
but , they started going downhill once they lost Mick Taylor and brought in Ronnie Wood. 'Black and Blue' is not a good album i would say, although it has two great songs, 'Fool to Cry' and 'Waiting on a Friend'.
'It's only Rock and Roll' has like one classic song, the title track, i don't recall much of the rest of the album tbh.
I have never owned a copy of 'Some Girls', but have heard it round my mates house a few times. Richard's 'Before they make me run', and 'Miss You', being highlights I recall.

'Aftermath' in '65 was a pretty good album, i have not heard it in yeeeeeears, as my copy was stolen(the only Christmas present i got that year as well, lol), but it had plenty of classics on it, 'Stupid Girl', 'Out of time', can't recall offhand the others, but i did not think they did too well with the 10min tracvk they attempted, 'Leaving Home', i think it was called, they were right to leave the long epics to the Doors, lol, as they never attempted anything like that again.

Of their later records, I am only familiar with 'Steel Wheels', I thought it had some very good songs on there, 'Before you hear me sigh' sounds like classic Stones, and Richard's 'Slipping Away' as well, brilliant. 'continental Drift ' had some great sounds going on iin it too, 'Mixed Emotions' was pretty good, and there's one other I can't recall the name of that was pretty damn cool.
Oh, and I liked the anti-war single they did not long after, 'Live Wire'.

but the last Stones song that I feel measures up to anything they ever did in the 60s and 70s was 'Undercover of the Night' , which came out in about '83 I think. Inspired by the novel 'Cities of the Red Night' by William Burroughs(a book i started to read but never finished so i cant tell you what it was about, think i sold it for booze money, lol), it was a suitably dark exciting song that combined the Stones trademark sounds with a more modern touches.

anyway, hopefully this unreleased song from 'Exile on Main Street' will embed, and I can get another listen to form an opinion on it.
and if anyone has any thoughts on it or the Stones in general, they can always throw in a thought, cheers.

[YT]nS2jNueeoeg[/YT]

Last edited:
Plundered My Soul is an awesome song! Heres the music video for it, made up of clips from the Exile era. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6KA4QILUc

i will have to embed that vid to watch it as I am having trouble with youtube vids coming up, cheers for the link.
Yeah, I am really liking it, I might buy the re-released 'Exile' they are bringing out, just so I have it on CD, that will be my 3rd time buying 'Exile'. My first Cd got split in two when I was fighting over it in a tug-of-war with a friend, as I wanted to play it at a party he was having and he did not want it on, lol.
I wish I still had that Cd actually, as the mix is different to the re-mastered version they put out. the re-mastered one being more of a natural sound all round, any tracks that used any sfx now have the natural sound of the original performance.
There was one I kind of preferred having the sfx mix on, but i forget which song it was right now.

[YT]CK6KA4QILUc[/YT]

and here are a couple of lesser known Stones tracks i think are superb...

Jigsaw Puzzle

[YT]rWFxBqiZya0[/YT]

Citadel

[YT]0sHFgaeMVgk[/YT]

2000 Man

[YT]En_rqdv1PHg[/YT]

Winter

[YT]PfTBzspRlDQ[/YT]

i've always respected the stones, but its only been in the last year that i really started digging into them and its great. the early brian jones era is my favorite stuff.

Honestly, much of their stuff after Mick Taylor left never really interested me, save for the 'Miss You' album, which I thought was brilliant. December's Children is a fantastic early album of theirs, with some crazy rocking blues.:up:

But my personal favorite might have to be Sticky Fingers. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is just one of those perfect guitar songs.:awesome:

Honestly, much of their stuff after Mick Taylor left never really interested me, save for the 'Miss You' album, which I thought was brilliant. December's Children is a fantastic early album of theirs, with some crazy rocking blues.:up:

But my personal favorite might have to be Sticky Fingers. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is just one of those perfect guitar songs.:awesome:

I personally think that the Mick Taylor era was the best for the Stones as Sticky Fingers and Exile are their two best.

But I must say that some of their songs fromt he Brian Jones era are better than most their stuff from Mick Taylor. Satisfaction, Paint it Black, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Honkey Tonk Women, and Sympathy for the Devil. But the two albums with Mick Taylor as a whole were much stronger.

Agreed. They were more consistent, I feel.

"Under my Thumb" ftw! :up:

i seem to recall reading that brian jones had a lot to do with how that particular recording sounded, bringing in the xylophones etc.
yeah, although they did not make any truly great consistent albums during this time, their run of singles were as good as any bands, and up there with the beatles.
i think 'under my thumb' and '19th nervous breakdown' are the two most interesting sounding singles from the brian jones period. 'we love you' was pretty damn good as well at having a right good sound that was beyond the usual rock thing.

Last edited:
i seem to recall reading that brian jones had a lot to do with how that particular recording sounded, bringing in the xylophones etc.
yeah, although they did not make any truly great consistent albums during this time, their run of singles were as good as any bands, and up there with the beatles.
i think 'under my thumb' and '19th nervous breakdown' are the two most interesting sounding singles from the brian jones period. 'we love you' was pretty damn good as well at having a right good sound that was beyond the usual rock thing.

I love the piano introduction to We Love You. Like I said, the Jones era had many great singles that I love listening to. Anyone ever heard She Said Yeah? It's a fun short song off of December's Children. Get Off of My Cloud was another great song, along with Let's Spend the Night Together. And who can forget about Gimme Shelter? That was a brilliantly good song!

The Mick Taylor years saw the Stones get even better with slower-paced songs and soft rock too. Brown Sugar, Sway, Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile, Tumbling Dice, Soul Survivor, Happy, Let it Loose, Angie, It's Only Rock n Roll. You saw a transition from that Rock and roll sound (a transition that began with the failed satanic majesties) to a more varied sound.

After Mick Taylor was okay, but are were few songs I really like. Fool to Cry, Hot Stuff, Miss You, Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Mixed Emotions, You got Me Rocking, Anybody seen my Baby?, and Rain Fall Down are all of the songs I can name off my head.

I love the piano introduction to We Love You. Like I said, the Jones era had many great singles that I love listening to. Anyone ever heard She Said Yeah? It's a fun short song off of December's Children. Get Off of My Cloud was another great song, along with Let's Spend the Night Together. And who can forget about Gimme Shelter? That was a brilliantly good song!

i haven't heard that album, have probably heard a good few tracks off of it, but not that one, 'shee said yeah'. i'll have to check it out.
keith played all the guitars on 'gimmie shelter', very impressive.
with songs like 'get off my cloud', and 'let's spend the night together', i have heard them so many times now they don't do anything for me because they are just simple rock rongs i think.
i prefer bowie's cover of 'lets spend the night together' off 'aladinn slane', he made it quite weird, i really didnt like it at first as i was so used to the straight stones version, but when i got into it i much preffered what he did with it.

edit: and yeah, the piano is fantastic on wly, the whole thing sounds frickin' incredible, quite eerie vocals. in fact lennon and mccartney do the backing vocals on it, coming out in support of keith and mick, after their bust, which is kind of what the song is about, the love/hate relationship with the press, who tipped off the cops, hence the sfx of keys and a jail door closing at the start of the record.
The Mick Taylor years saw the Stones get even better with slower-paced songs and soft rock too. Brown Sugar, Sway, Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile, Tumbling Dice, Soul Survivor, Happy, Let it Loose, Angie, It's Only Rock n Roll. You saw a transition from that Rock and roll sound (a transition that began with the failed satanic majesties) to a more varied sound.

gram parsons had a big influence on keith when they started hanging out together, 'wild horses' especially, in fact there were rumours he co-wrote that one with keith, he did a great version himself.

there is another that marrianne faithful co-wrote with them that she did not get credit for, i think it was 'sister morphine', or possibly 'moonlight mile', one from that set of songs that finish off sticky fingers.

edit: ry cooder co-wrote that one 'memo from turner' from the performance s/track, and it was credited to jagger/richards, despite keith not even having played on the record iirc.
didn't matter if you had a rep or were an ex-girlfriend, they were pretty ruthless with the credits and royalties.
After Mick Taylor was okay, but are were few songs I really like. Fool to Cry, Hot Stuff, Miss You, Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Mixed Emotions, You got Me Rocking, Anybody seen my Baby?, and Rain Fall Down are all of the songs I can name off my head.

haven't heard the last two, or don't recall them anyway. 'beast of burden' was good from that period too.
see, ronnie wood was a good guitarist technically, but he was too much of a keith clone, like his sidekick, instead of being his own man like jones or taylor. so they missed that person bringing something uniquely of his own to the table.

Last edited:
There's an interview with Mick Jagger tomorrow on BBC 6music digital radio during the 'Huey show'(not the big baby Duck, the guy from Fun Lovin Criminals), where he will be talking about the recording of Exile on Main Street.
There is also an article on the recording at Villa Nellcote Mansion in today's Guardian(the Guide section), with some cool photographs.

Anybody got Keef's book yet? I'm up to chapter 5 and it's amazing! Everytime you read it you can just hear his voice in your head. :D

i read the keith richards bio by victor bockris. it was pretty good....but REALLY long and wordy.

i cant listen to satisfaction without playing it a second time directly. its one of those few 110% perfect rock and roll songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"