Roseanne Returns and Leaves Again

And it is rather fantastic. I loved the first two seasons.
Now I have to give that a look. Been binging on Netflix lately catching up (The Rain, Altered Carbon this week) so that's on my list next.

I love how her vest has her name on it.

I read they won't consider that because she created the show...so if they continue to make shows using the characters she created, they would have to pay her for that.

Even if that was not the case, I for one would not want to see a revamped show without Roseanne. She made the original show what it was, and regardless of her later toxicity, that's a real accomplishment that should not be papered over.

Not to mention that I don't think such a revamp would succeed anyway.

Now that Samantha Bee has done her thing, they're saying she deserves the same treatment and should have her show dropped.

Of course they are. They dont understand that Roseanne most likely would've still had her show and job if that is all she had tweeted about whatshername.

Now that Samantha Bee has done her thing, they're saying she deserves the same treatment and should have her show dropped.
It would not surprise me if Bee lost her show. While she's sometimes annoying and abrasive, she has usually been right on the line but in that comment she made she stepped clearly over it and pushed too far in the hateful rhetoric.

Very convenient time for the White House to take offense at that word. When it was directed at Hillary by Roseanne, Ted Nugent, and Trump's garbage fanbase, I don't recall hearing a peep.

Samantha Bee calling Ivanka Trump a c word compared to Roseanne comparing an African-American woman to a monkey or calling a Holocaust survivor a Nazi isn't the same ballpark. It ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport, to paraphrase Jules Winfield.

Can we please all agree that there is a difference between insulting someone's character and using racist language? One is perhaps unkind, but the other should be unacceptable.

The issue isn't that Roseanne insulted Valerie Jarrett. It's that she went on a racist tirade. If she had just cussed her out she probably wouldn't have lost her show.

This false equivalency is dangerous.

Yeah, we really need to stop leaving it up to racists to assess how much of a problem their racism is.

Very poor choice of words from Bee. With that said, I don't understand how I can see any rational person say "How can Samantha Bee keep her show while Roseanne loses hers?" It blows my mind how c*** somehow is worse than a racial slur.

I'll give anyone 100 years to make me understand that.

****'s a very broad curse that's only a shade worse than **** in my neck of the woods, not specifically a sexist or derogatory slur against women. I wouldn't use it in polite society, but otherwise I don't consider it to be all that awful.

Still, lowball on Bee's part.

Very poor choice of words from Bee. With that said, I don't understand how I can see any rational person say "How can Samantha Bee keep her show while Roseanne loses hers?" It blows my mind how c*** somehow is worse than a racial slur.

It's a highly loaded word - at least in North America (much less so, apparently, in Britain).

It's interesting that Bee also called Ivanka worthless and irresponsible (“feckless”) and suggested that she seduce her own father :eek: to get him to do the right thing regarding child immigrants. But it’s the c-word, particularly, that’s got folks in a lather. One suspects that if a different but equally unflattering epithet had been used (like “witch with a b”), no one would have noticed.

C*** loses a lot of it's power when it is a woman saying it to another woman.

It's a highly loaded word - at least in North America (much less so, apparently, in Britain).

It's interesting that Bee also called Ivanka worthless and irresponsible (“feckless”) and suggested that she seduce her own father :eek: to get him to do the right thing regarding child immigrants. But it’s the c-word, particularly, that’s got folks in a lather. One suspects that if a different but equally unflattering epithet had been used (like “witch with a b”), no one would have noticed.

From the way they've acted since Ivanka was a teenager, that doesn't look like it'd take much effort.

My wife put it this way....the "c" word is the most vile and offensive thing you can call a woman (and around here....women do NOT call each other that). I understand that in some other countries it is used a lot by both genders....but it isn't here where I live.

That's basically the long and short of it. I know Oliver and Bee are both not originally from the states so they can run the gamut regarding stuff that some folks here can get Ned Flanderized over.

Yeah, the c-word is pretty much the same thing for a Canadian as it is for an American, as opposed to the UK. Bee should know better (her show's not even live, right?).

Well don't mince any words there, buddy.

I don't agree that Bee should "know better." Not when Trump calls Latino people rapists and animals and used the C-word to describe Sally Yates, a genuine public servant and not a spoiled, rich brat like Ivanka who is profiting offer her father's presidency just like everyone else in her disgusting family.

Furthermore, what's already been lost in all this debate over a comedian using a word is the actual point that Samantha Bee was making--that Trump's policy is literally ripping families apart and Ivanka, who is supposedly one of the only people whose advice Trump actually listens to on occasion, has the gall to post cutesy pictures with her child while doing nothing to help the children Trump is condemning to a life of foster care (or whatever).

A reminder to everyone.....you can hate anyone you want....you can talk about how much you hate them....but when you advocate doing violence against them, then you are going too far. Do not do that.

I don't agree that Bee should "know better." Not when Trump calls Latino people rapists and animals and used the C-word to describe Sally Yates, a genuine public servant and not a spoiled, rich brat like Ivanka who is profiting offer her father's presidency just like everyone else in her disgusting family.

Furthermore, what's already been lost in all this debate over a comedian using a word is the actual point that Samantha Bee was making--that Trump's policy is literally ripping families apart and Ivanka, who is supposedly one of the only people whose advice Trump actually listens to on occasion, has the gall to post cutesy pictures with her child while doing nothing to help the children Trump is condemning to a life of foster care (or whatever).

If you want to be considered "better" than the opposition....you don't do what they do. If Trump uses the "c" word....you say that is offensive and do not use it yourself. If you think his daughter may be able to influence him to change bad policies....calling her offensive names and suggesting she have sex with him seems real counter productive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"