• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Rotten Tomatoes score? - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with TASM series so far is nothing it's doing is making me forget Raimi's series. It's just nothing new. I mean look at Burton's Batman and Nolan's Batman. 2 completely different worlds, different Batmen, different rogues and all great.

Because there's nothing TO do. The first Spider-Man came out 12 years ago. The last one, 7! Sony knows this too. Why do you think they're cramming as many villains into this film as possible? To create this big, "unique" world that the GA can latch onto. It's really quite pathetic. And judging by the reviews I'm catching up on, don't really think it's working. Sounds like a fun mess.

Like Transformers.

The problem with TASM series so far is nothing it's doing is making me forget Raimi's series. It's just nothing new. I mean look at Burton's Batman and Nolan's Batman. 2 completely different worlds, different Batmen, different rogues and all great.

I think one of the reasons Batman could afford to do that is because of all the comics and tv shows Batman has vs. what Spider-Man has. Batman can be really goofy, really serious, really dark, really campy, or a mix of all of them, and Spider-Man's tone throughout the comics and tv shows don't really have that range.

Granted, TASM ripped off Spider-Man 2002 in several ways.

Yeap. If bad reviews is all it took to stop a franchise, then we wouldn't be on the 4th Transformers movie.

I'm a Transformers fan since '85, and I have to say that the TF movies were all mindless popcorn flicks, and except for the first one, all were terrible as well. GA went to see them because they just wanted to turn their brain off and watch giant CGI robots beating each other up, and quite frankly those movies were appealing to the lowest common denominators. I'm hoping that the Spider-Man movies would aspire to be a higher quality entertainment than Transformers, though.

I'm a Transformers fan since '85, and I have to say that the TF movies were all mindless popcorn flicks, and except for the first one, all were terrible as well. GA went to see them because they just wanted to turn their brain off and watch giant CGI robots beating each other up, and quite frankly those movies were appealing to the lowest common denominators. I'm hoping that the Spider-Man movies would aspire to be a higher quality entertainment than Transformers, though.

I think Transformers is making around what i think Spider-Man would be making if they didn't reboot, there was the hype, the love by the general public, and a rising spectacle that could get over the top but was still relativelly easy to believe.

They might be able to fill up a Volkswagen Beetle on the very back-end, but if the numbers keep trending the way they are, they could end up losing money here.

Sony spent about 400 million on this film and expect it to gross a billion. I doubt that's gonna happen, they need at least 700 million to break even.:eek:

Exactly. Spider-Man has so much lore and character potential and quality to him that he can be the star of a GOOD movie. Not a fun one. (There's a difference.) But Sony (and Avi ****ing Avard) don't care. All they want is money...not that I blame them. They are a company...they sorta need it. But they're doing it the wrong way. It's making me really, really, irritated. I'm at that point where I expect more from films than just looking cool and having lots of action. I like a tight screenplay, great acting, strong themes, etc, etc. Sony doesn't even try with any of that when it comes to Spider-Man. Spider-Man movies are just producer controlled garbage at this point. The reason the Nolan Batfilms worked so well were because they were HIS films. He helped write all 3 films, and directed them, and had a huge amount of control behind the scenes. They were HIS creation, not WBs. That's why they worked. They were made by someone who, surprise surprise, makes films! Spider-Man is made by people who make films who are puppeteered by Sony. It's aggravating. If I dislike the film as much as the reviews make it seem like I will, I don't know if I'll bother with the next few.

Untitled.png

2dr74g4.jpg

:hehe:

Sony spent about 400 million on this film and expect it to gross a billion. I doubt that's gonna happen, they need at least 700 million to break even.:eek:
They spent $450m on this. If it does less then the first, people are getting fired.

You know who would be a great director for Spider-Man?

Some guy, not sure if you've heard of him before called Christopher Nolan.

They spent $450m on this. If it does less then the first, people are getting fired.

That's probably already going to happen. Sony is very quickly falling apart anyway. I'm pretty sure they've posted a 200 million dollar loss for this year already. And if Spidey bombs...well...maybe we won't have to worry about Sony controlled garbage for too much longer...

450?:eek: Damn! People ARE gonna get fired, the month of May has Godzilla and X-Men coming out. Over-seas numbers might save this film but realistically speaking basing this off the luke warm reception and the opening weekend box office prediction, this does not bode well for Sony if I'm to be honest.

You know who would be a great director for Spider-Man?

Some guy, not sure if you've heard of him before called Christopher Nolan.

I don't disagree, but...c'mon. Let's be realistic. Not to mention he's not the only good director out there, haha. Far from it. Plus, I think Marc Webb is a fine director. But, much like Zach Snyder, he's constantly bombarded by lousy scripts. It's sad...

I know Godzilla will do well.

X-Men is a wild card. Singer has directed good X-Men films critically. The problem is Singer's little issue and if people still are interested in the X-Men.

Critically X-Men will do better than TASM2.

I think one of the reasons Batman could afford to do that is because of all the comics and tv shows Batman has vs. what Spider-Man has. Batman can be really goofy, really serious, really dark, really campy, or a mix of all of them, and Spider-Man's tone throughout the comics and tv shows don't really have that range.

Granted, TASM ripped off Spider-Man 2002 in several ways.

It actually did, that's what made it feel kind of off to me.

"Great reflexes."
"It's not my policey."

It just felt kind of flaccid in some ways. Like Uncle Ben being shot. It didn't really hit me like it did in Raimi's SM1.

While this movie might have a more comic accurate Spidey, I feel like what's around the character was better constructed in Raimi's films, at the least the first two, then they have been in Webb's thus far.

They had a nice flow to them, everything felt upbeat, bright, heartfelt. Even the look of the first two movies brings up colors in my head like reds, yellows, oranges etc.
There was a spark to them that I just haven't really consistently felt with these movies, it's like they're running on a template or something at times, like there should be huge words at the bottom of the screen flashing "DRAMATIC SCENE" or "COMIC RELIEF".

I feel like a lot of critics share similar opinions to that of my own, hence the critical reception being so middling.

Last edited:
A certain producer and certain screenwriters would be a good start.

I don't think Avi is ever gonna get fired. I can pray...but I don't think it'll happen.

Robert and Alex, however, should've been fired before they started writing the script. They're pretty ****. Don't know why Sony went for them...

I don't disagree, but...c'mon. Let's be realistic. Not to mention he's not the only good director out there, haha. Far from it. Plus, I think Marc Webb is a fine director. But, much like Zach Snyder, he's constantly bombarded by lousy scripts. It's sad...

I got a really good one though.

Chris Miller and Phil Lord. They did the Lego Movie and the Jump Street movies.

And if word of mouth is that bad, the combination of Godzilla and Days of Future Past later this month could crush this movie. Especially given the media blitz surrounding those films.

That's probably already going to happen. Sony is very quickly falling apart anyway. I'm pretty sure they've posted a 200 million dollar loss for this year already. And if Spidey bombs...well...maybe we won't have to worry about Sony controlled garbage for too much longer...

Nope. They're forecasting (basically, it's just an educated prediction right now) a $1.3 billion loss.

So yeah, some people are gonna get fired.

That would be pretty cool. A part of me worries that they might take the comedy part too far being comedy directors, but if The Winter Solider taught me anything, it's that that doesn't matter. But unless this films SERIOUSLY bombs, I'm pretty sure Marc's here for at least one more.

Maybe in another decade when Spidey gets rebooted again :cwink:

That would be perfect.

I've been shipping those two for The Flash, but seeing as WB has opted to stick that character on television, they'd make a hell of a pairing with this franchise.

Yeah, that could be interesting. With Brad Bird directing, now that would be really awesome, he's proven to be an extremelly consistent filmmaker. If Edgar Wright wasn't already directing Ant-Man I think he would be a pretty spot on choice, plus he's also a screenwriter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"