Sam Mendes WWI drama ‘1917’

Yeah, this was really impressive. Almost felt like you were in the trenches with the main characters, as opposed to watching the action from afar. Really appreciated the way this film was shot.

This was excellent. Probably the best movie from 2019, even if it wasn’t my personal favorite. Sam Mendes and the two lead actors were phenomenal. I think I suffered a minor heart attack during the mineshaft sequence.

Reactions: NDX
LOL, when they got to No Man’s Land, I for real turned to my friend and said, “Why don’t they just get Wonder Woman to take them through?”

I’m awful.

Yeah that is cool. Mackay could've really gotten ****ed up if something wasn't timed right.

This film was incredible. One of the most beautifully shot films I have ever seen.

So...my main throughout and as the credits started rolling was 'Wow, this movie is visually stunning and has a lot of gorgeous shots. Who did the cinematogra-oh, of course it's Roger Deakins.'

Would not be surprised to see this get a nomination, if not an outright win, for Best Cinematography. But nothing from the best from Deakins.

Yeah, this was really impressive. Almost felt like you were in the trenches with the main characters, as opposed to watching the action from afar. Really appreciated the way this film was shot.

While the way they shot the movie was pretty neat and the movie had some stuning shots i really cant compare this movie to Saving Private Ryan.

Its a good movie but not that special as all the raving reviews say imho.

Its a solid 8/10.

I don't know if I would say this movie was as good as Saving Private Ryan overall either, but certainly better than other more recent war movies such as Dunkirk.

I don't know if I would say this movie was as good as Saving Private Ryan overall either, but certainly better than other more recent war movies such as Dunkirk.

Yeah I would have to watch SPR again to say whether I felt this was better or just as good as that one. I’d probably still give Spielberg the edge but 1917 was nevertheless amazing. I also liked it better than Dunkirk; the weird timelines and lack of dialogue in Dunkirk made that movie really hard to follow at times. I feel like someone should do a supercut of Dunkirk and The Darkest Hour because when you watch one right after the other it feels like they could all be one movie and TDH explains a lot of the stuff you see in Dunkirk.

1917 was good in the way it was shot, almost like a "you're here with these two nobodies" almost. Private Ryan is more of a Spielberg epic and has a lot more characterization.

Loved it, but definitely didn't think it was better than Dunkirk, or especially Saving Private Ryan. Enjoyed the small-scale plot (yes there is a plot) that allowed the environment to really roll out. Stunning film.

I'm in awe of how good this film was technically. Even if they showed most of the "big" scene in the trailer, it was amazing watching that play out. Andrew Scott's cameo was my favorite and it's a shame George McKay isn't in more Best Actor conversations because he was excellent and far better than at least two of the "locks" for tomorrow's noms.

I think this can be considered a great film alongside Saving Private Ryan and Dunkirk, but with all three be very different types of war movies.

SPR is the character focused epic.

Dunkirk is the plot focused jigsaw puzzle.

1917 is the WWI crossover with the Odyssey.

All three are visually stunning and must-see movies. All three want to bring you into the emotions of the moment, but they all have different views for it.

Saw this on Sunday and it was a visceral experience. Sam Mendes definitely deserves the directing nod and I wouldn't be surprised to see it win best picture. Deakins has to get his 2nd Oscar for this. Only contender that comes close is The Lighthouse.

This was......damn. Visceral and immersive, and Mendes and Deakins shot the hell out of this thing.

I'm glad Sam Mendes bounced back after the tired and lazy "Spectre"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"