• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scary Films that aren't Horror

hammerhedd11

OHaiMark
Reaction score
What films, that aren't particularly in the genre of horror, scare the hell out of you?

Zodiac- The first two murders are just unbearably suspenseful and disturbing. The scene towards the end in the basement felt like it could belong in a slasher movie, albeit a good one.
Being John Malkovich- The group of evil old people that use the portals into peoples bodies was just scary as all hell to me. Reminded me of Rosemary's Baby. It almost felt like it turned into a Twilight Zone episode.
Akira- For some reason this film really creeps me out.

I find a lot of David Lynch stuff to be kind of creepy.

I can't remember which bond film it was, but the one where the guy gets shut in a pressure cabin and his head explodes really freaked me out when I was a kid.

Same thing with Indiana Jones when the guy rapidly aged after drinking from the wrong cup.

Black Swan
Coraline
Donnie Darko
A clockwork orange
Willie Wonka/Charlie and the chocolate factory
Blue Velvet (the villain is so creepy)

Definitely, most of Lynch's works does it with its unsettling and creepy atmosphere and he can really build it up like ****ing magic. It gets under your skin.

Inland Empire is up there when it comes to Lynch-ness goodness for three hour, it's nearly impossible for me to get comfortable after that, it's just..ah. Thinking about it got me creeped out right now.

I recently rewatched Blade Runner, and while the film throughout has an eerie feel, I thought the scene where Deckard infiltrates the replicant's hideout to be particularly creepy, especially when the acrobatic replicant writhes around after being shot which is disturbing as hell.

These films psychologically get under your skin.

Sunset Boulevard
Strangers On a Train
Psycho
Shutter Island

Akira- For some reason this film really creeps me out.

Yes, me too. Ever since I saw this when I was little, I can't stand Japanese animation. The nightmare scene where the giant furry animals start to walk and do some weird sounds, scare the crap out of me even today.

Se7en
Willy Wonka and the chocolate Factory

Return To Oz for sure is one creepy film can't believe disney made it.
Definetly. Everything about David Lynch is creep even his music.

Big Trouble In Little China I class as a fantasy action adventure movie and that had some unsettlig moments like the creepy monsters and David Lo-Pan himself was sort of freaky.

Last edited:
No Country For Old Men. Chigur's relentless pursuit is terrifying.

Just about any movie about Hannibal Lectar is pretty creepy. I also agree with you guys on Se7en. Here's another one that really creeped me out as a kid, and I haven't seen it since (although it is available on DVD). The Day After. Just the thought of nuclear war, especially back in the 80's at the height of The Cold War, is really frightening.

By the same token, but on a lesser scale, Red Dawn is also kinda creepy. Especially the opening scene when the Russians are shooting up the high school, gunning down anyone they see. Be it teachers, students, parents, whoever.

Just about any movie about Hannibal Lectar is pretty creepy. I also agree with you guys on Se7en. Here's another one that really creeped me out as a kid, and I haven't seen it since (although it is available on DVD). The Day After. Just the thought of nuclear war, especially back in the 80's at the height of The Cold War, is really frightening.

By the same token, but on a lesser scale, Red Dawn is also kinda creepy. Especially the opening scene when the Russians are shooting up the high school, gunning down anyone they see. Be it teachers, students, parents, whoever.

The Day After scared the hell out of me as a kid. I still remember seeing that and my mom having to convince me that a nuclear holocaust wasn't go to happen.

Don't the slasher films qualify as horror? Some of the films mentioned --- se7en, Psycho, Zodiac, Hannibal --- are just slasher/serial killer films that aspire to high art more than lowest common denominator screams and gore.

The Brothers Quay.

All murder mystery movies are serial killer/slasher films if you think about it. That doesn't make them necessarily horror.

All murder mystery movies are serial killer/slasher films if you think about it. That doesn't make them necessarily horror.
Films like seven, silence of the lambs, and psycho (all which were mentioned here) are definitely horror. If it isn't then what is?

Don't the slasher films qualify as horror? Some of the films mentioned --- Se7en, Psycho, Zodiac, Hannibal --- are just slasher/serial killer films that aspire to high art more than lowest common denominator screams and gore.

These films are really more Psychological Thrillers than they are Slasher movies. Although most video stores do tend to lump them all under the Horror Genre, but technically there is a difference. That's usually done out of either ignorance (in which case the store owners are in the wrong business), laziness, or simply a need to econimize the available space (which is forgiveable).

Okay...theres a difference between a genre and sub-genre. A horror film is any film whose main intentions are to "horrify" the audience. Seven, Psycho, and Hannibal definitely qualify in this respect. Psychological thriller is not a genre, its a sub-genre of horror. Horror is a very broad genre and many sub-genres fall into them such as: supernatural (The Ring, The Excorcist), Slasher (Halloween, A nightmare on Elm Street), Monsters (Alien, Predator), Psychological (Seven, Silence of the Lambs), and more.All of these aim for the same (primary) goal...they try to get underneath the audience's skin and creep them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"