Scariest Horror Movies You've Ever Seen/Favorite Horror Films?

Alien just has a lot of rape subtext that freaks me out.

Also Thundar, I know what you were getting at, I was just being a jerk.

Correction. You were being a wise-ass. There is a difference.

Ichi the Killer horrified me. Audition did as well, with some nausea on the side.

Really? I'll admit, there were a few of the more graphically violent scenes that caused me to cringe, but that grossed me out more than frightened me. Like the scene where the guy with all the piercings was cooking tempura while interogating someone, then when he gets frustrated that the guy doesn't have any useful information he dumps the boiling oil onto the guy's back. Or when he has to apologize to the Yakuza, and instead of cutting off a finger he cuts out his own tongue. That stuff's not scary to me, just gross. The rest of the film I found to be rather funny.

Another horror movie I really enjoyed. Sleepaway Camp. The first one had great atmosphere, and the twist at the end was totally surprising.

Most of the sequels were all crap. Parts 2, 3, and 4 were all horrible. They pretty much were parodies of the original. The fifth movie, Return To Sleepaway Camp isn't bad for a sequel. It's certainly better than the 3 sequels that came before it. Still not as good as the original though.

A couple more favorites of mine . . .

John Carpenter's The Thing: Very well made movie, excellent special effects, and scary as Hell.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: Specifically the 1970 something remake starring Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy, and Jeff Goldblum. I found it much scarier than the original Black & White version. The 1990's remake Body Snatchers was okay, but I never saw Nicole Kidman's remake The Invasion because I heard it sucked. The 70's version was my favorite though.

The Thing was beyond amazing. And the FX were, and still are, some of the best ever.

The Thing was beyond amazing. And the FX were, and still are, some of the best ever.

Damned straight!

Interesting bit of trivia: In a documentary called Masters Of Horror (hosted by none other than Bruce Campbell), John Carpenter says that the main ingredient in the stuff used for the alien effects was the same stuff that Hostess Twinkies are stuffed with.

I don't know whether I should categorize that bit of info under "cool" or "gross".

For some I don't think I can ever watch Zodiac again.

Hellraiser scared the crap outta me there for awhile

Hellraiser scared the crap outta me there for awhile

I don't know why, but I always found Hellraiser to be over rated. Been a long time since I've seen it though. Maybe I should give it another shot.

I don't know why, but I always found Hellraiser to be over rated. Been a long time since I've seen it though. Maybe I should give it another shot.

I haven't seen it in a long time, but when I was younger it spooked me.

I'm surprised I could sit through it the 1st time (I assume you're talking about Fincher's flick).
lol are you trying to say you didn't like it or it really did give you a unsettling feeling like it did for me. Just that one scene where he goes after that couple is terrifying.

Favorite:
I'm a fan of slasher genre/subgenre, for some reason psycho killers films are enjoyable to watch, this fascination began with Scream 2, so the Scream franchise holds a very dear place

Saw franchise is creepy fun, I don't watch Saw movies for the story, instead I love them for what it allows my imagination to unleash in terms of methods to escape traps, and fan fiction imagining characters I like in those traps, and how they might react. I read on page 2 someone recommending Cube as a better puzzle-traps film, so I guess I'll give that one a shot

Friday the 13th franchise is another favorite, I don't like how that one is repeatedly resurrected or how his strength increases, but the story of a mute psychotic killer with sick obsession of his mother (momma boy) has its charm

Scariest:
Saw, to survive traps one must dies or lose parts of his/her body. Seeing the cuts is creepy

I need to watch:
The Shining
Cube

The movie that was the scariest for me without being a bloodfest was the ORIGINAL Amityville Horror.....I did not sleep well for weeks after that movie.

Heads up guys...

Halloween (1978) is being shown in select theaters around the country on October 30. I was born in '78 so didn't get the chance to see it in theaters obviously. Looking forward to it.

Here's a link to the theaters it will be shown:

http://www.screenvision.com/cinema-events/halloween/

Is this just in the U.S.? The website only mentions American locations. It would be interesting to see if Canadian theatres are doing this as well.

I know of one threatre here in Vancouver that has a midnight showing of Halloween virtually every October. The Rio Theatre on the corner of East Broadway and Commercial Drive. I used to go to those all the time. I wonder if they're doing it again this year.

They had some troubles about a year ago. In order to compete with Ciniplex Odeon, the owner of The Rio applied for a liquor license. After going through all the red tape to get the license, she was told that she wasn't allowed to show movies anymore. It took her several months, but she fought to get the law changed and won. So now you can drink a can of beer when you watch a movie at The Rio.

There was a documentary out, On Demand had it as one of their selections last October that was a BTS look at the making of the original Halloween. It was extremely interesting how they shot the movie....even to those that are novices of filming it was very interesting, and to those that are into the filming, editing etc....it is extremely interesting. So if you find it On Demand, or some place else, check it out.

The movie that was the scariest for me without being a bloodfest was the ORIGINAL Amityville Horror.....I did not sleep well for weeks after that movie.

For sure! I was totally freaked by that one too! As I mentioned before, I was raised in a haunted house. Thus movies about haunted houses are scarier than other horror movies to me, as are movies about masked killers. Besides, this particular movie was based on a TRUE story.

I'm not sure which Saw it was, but a couple of women were doing brain surgery on some old guy. Watched the whole thing without flinching. It looked pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"