Season 3, Episode 6: Of Sound Mind

On another note, I'm surprised that we've gone two episodes in a row without seeing John Henry Irons.

While I don't have any issues with Kyle and Chrissy, I would have preferred Lana and John Henry to have the budding romance angle instead.

On another note, I'm surprised that we've gone two episodes in a row without seeing John Henry Irons.

While I don't have any issues with Kyle and Chrissy, I would have preferred Lana and John Henry to have the budding romance angle instead.
John and Nat are very important to me and it will be great when we get to see them again. Lana and John would be an awesome couple while Kyle and Chrissy are terrible to me. I’ve been wanting him booted off for a while now that there’s no real need for him and they’re actually giving him new storylines! I need to start a Free Chrissy movement. :beaming: She’s a really fun character but that’s all been drained away since this storyline.

I guess I'm in the minority because I thought this episode was a step down from the last few. I get that a superhero show has certain genre requirements to fulfill. But in this case, the balance seemed off. For instance... Jordan wanting to follow in Dad's superhero footsteps (and training with video game monsters) struck me as rather "comic book-y" and "Silver Age-y." Meanwhile, and in stark contrast, the grounded and serious (and much better written) Lois/cancer scenes were always more emotionally engaging. (A tad meta: but I thought "Cancer is my villain, Clark" was a powerful line.)

Likewise... I praised (along with others) that ep. 5 scene of Clark speaking with the two cancer patients. Moving dialogue and really good performances all around. But now we find out that one of those patients is actually a supervillain (apparently Bruno Mannheim's wife). I guess she really does have cancer (?); so her emotions are/were still sincere (?). Even so, her duplicity and Evil Scheme™ agenda somewhat (and retroactively) undercuts the impact of her prior scenes.

Also... do we assume that the Mannheims know the secret identity? Sound lady (Onomatopoeia?) mimicked Lois's voice to lure Supes into a trap — which makes perfect sense if she knew that Supes' wife would make the ideal bait.

Likewise... I praised (along with others) that ep. 5 scene of Clark speaking with the two cancer patients. Moving dialogue and really good performances all around. But now we find out that one of those patients is actually a supervillain (apparently Bruno Mannheim's wife). I guess she really does have cancer (?); so her emotions are/were still sincere (?). Even so, her duplicity and Evil Scheme™ agenda somewhat (and retroactively) undercuts the impact of her prior scenes.
Yeah, it does undermine it a bit. Maybe what we see in future episodes will help understand that decision.

Also... do we assume that the Mannheims know the secret identity? Sound lady (Onomatopoeia?) mimicked Lois's voice to lure Supes into a trap — which makes perfect sense if she knew that Supes' wife would make the ideal bait.
Good point. I hope that was done on purpose then to signal that they know.

My guess would be not yet. Lois has been publicly associated with Superman for the past 17 years or so, since Superman's first TV interview, and the blood warehouse incident confirms that they still know each other. There might even be security recordings to play back, of Lois calling for Superman from the warehouse.

Reactions: Dr.
My guess would be not yet. Lois has been publicly associated with Superman for the past 17 years or so, since Superman's first TV interview, and the blood warehouse incident confirms that they still know each other. There might even be security recordings to play back, of Lois calling for Superman from the warehouse.
:up: I guess I'm thinking of the Silver Age "Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane" days. Back then, it seemed to be common knowledge (among the fictional public) that the two were romantically linked. Thus, Bad Guys could get to Supes by putting his sweetheart in peril. (Which kinda negates the whole purpose of the secret identity: to protect innocent loved ones from criminal reprisal. :cwink:) But in this continuity, CK and LL are the romantic couple. Moreover, they both left Metropolis and their DP jobs while (presumably) Superman still calls the city home base. I.e., there's no particular or ongoing connection between Supes and Lois; therefore, no particular reason why supervillains would single out Lois as bait.

But I take your point. If the show has established that Supes keeps an ear out for Lois-in-distress (for whatever reason) and the Bad Guys took notice of this fact, then she'd be an obvious choice as bait (better than just random-person-in-distress). And this wouldn't necessarily imply knowledge of the secret identity.

But I take your point. If the show has established that Supes keeps an ear out for Lois-in-distress (for whatever reason) and the Bad Guys took notice of this fact, then she'd be an obvious choice as bait (better than just random-person-in-distress). And this wouldn't necessarily imply knowledge of the secret identity.
Superman and Lois each have a close connection to General Lane, and that’s something scheming villains would be sure to find out and plan for. Superman’s quick response to Lois’ calls might be attributed to protection of national security.

Seems Jordan's costume looks a bit like the one Clark wears in American Alien.
Minus the S-Shield.

5090270-smaa_5_2-3.jpg

Feels like many people don’t like Jordan but I find his lost puppy thing kind of cute. :funny: The differences between him and Jon keep it interesting (coming from someone who wasn’t particularly open to seeing Superman have kids in a show - thought I’d find them too annoying).

Love the jokes that don’t land.

Lil Kent - worst rapper in Kansas :D

I echo that this season has been amazing. But if I ruled the world, or at least the CW, I would trim the fat and write Kyle off altogether. I would also like to see Lana minimized. Sarah would only be used to further Jordan, Jonathan, and Nat’s storylines.

I feel like the show can sometimes get a little too bloated with everyone getting their own stories and it feels less Superman and Lois, and more like Superman and Lois and Lana and Kyle and Chrissy and the kids with special appearances by Steel and Lois’ Dad.

I echo that this season has been amazing. But if I ruled the world, or at least the CW, I would trim the fat and write Kyle off altogether. I would also like to see Lana minimized. Sarah would only be used to further Jordan, Jonathan, and Nat’s storylines.

I feel like the show can sometimes get a little too bloated with everyone getting their own stories and it feels less Superman and Lois, and more like Superman and Lois and Lana and Kyle and Chrissy and the kids with special appearances by Steel and Lois’ Dad.
Don't think you'll find many objections to booting Kyle right now!

I don't think the supporting characters need a whole lot beyond their interactions with the main cast, a storyline here and there, but not Kyle!

Nat and John add a lot and Chrissy is a nice fluffy character to have there for fun. Lana should have some importance IMO, but not hog too much screentime on her own.

I agree. Like why should I care that Lana is mayor and is neglecting the younger daughter I keep forgetting she has.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"