Season 3, Episode 3: "In Cold Blood" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
2E309AE8-6750-42AC-A51B-6B3ABCE9F957-1000x600.jpeg

Official Description:

GREGORY SMITH DIRECTS THE EPISODE – Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) and Chrissy (Sofia Hasmik) pursue a new lead in the Mannheim investigation against Clark’s (Tyler Hoechlin) wishes. Meanwhile, Jonathan (Michael Bishop), Jordan (Alex Garfin), and Nat’s (Taylor Buck) attempt at a kind gesture is complicated by an unexpected obstacle. Lastly, Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui), Sarah (Inde Navarrette), and Kyle (Erik Valdez) adjust to their own new normal.

Promo:

A very drama heavy episode with Clark’s nightmare, Lois fear and even the high school drama the boys are facing.

so Mannheim is attempting to create a super force army using Kal-El blood. A very traditional Lex Luthor plot.

Last edited:
The teens storylines are really boring this year and doing nothing for me. Jonathan especially seems extremely generic now compared to s1/2. He needs a more exciting story other than the cute jock who gets kicked off the team, has girlfriend problems, and has his jock vehicle stolen.

The rest of it was good. The Lois storyline is extremely Lois and Clark having nightmares that he can't save her is a nice touch.

When the guy blew up the place, Superman should've sustained some injuries though. He had just been hit HARD with a continuous Kryptonite blast, it's night outside limiting his solar exposure.

My favorite episode of the young season so far, just so well done with great story lines all around. I loved the scene of the kids stealing the truck back and this is the first episode I finally accepted the new Jonathan, he got more to do here and I felt him coming into his own.

I was pretty much invested in this episode from start to finish, I just hope Clark gets his own story line soon

So, any thoughts regarding Sarah getting the Chris Rock treatment in tonight's episode?

I've seen a lot of divided opinions about it over on social media.

I've loved the show from the start, but these first three episodes are on another level. They've gone from a bit of soapy writing, to high level drama. It's so good, and the best I've ever seen from one of these network superhero shows.

A bald guy wearing a respirator in a tank is one of the most ominous images for a generation of sci-fi fans.

So, any thoughts regarding Sarah getting the Chris Rock treatment in tonight's episode?

I've seen a lot of divided opinions about it over on social media.

She was being a brat who shot her mouth off about things she doesn’t understand. Lana was put in awkward position that just bolted to anger.

On another note, was anyone else really impressed by the opening dream sequence involving Superman trying to save Lois in Metropolis?

Never thought that we would get that kind of cinematography and visuals in a Superman TV show on the CW.

This season is 3 for 3 with me so far. Another great one.

I wouldn't put it QUITE at the level of last week's ep, due to one quibble, which I'll get to.

Clark's recurring nightmares of Lois in mortal peril gave me Up in the Sky vibes, which is ALWAYS a good thing.

Everyone's reactions to Lois' news felt right. Especially Sam. Clark trying to be supportive but also clearly frustrated about Lois' avoidance tactics was so, SO good.

I gotta say, I am loving Chrissy this season - I've always liked her, but she's just double fun this year being in on the secret. I really want her to get more scenes with Clark now that she knows and he's actually working at the Gazette.

I kind of love that the kids now have a "super duo" of their own, with Jordan and Nat, that they're all aware of now. I feel like it opens up an opportunity for the writers to have more fun with their storylines than just the basic high school angst, and this subplot of rescuing Jon's truck was a great example of that. But Jon, Candice spelled it out for you perfectly - it's past time to end that relationship lol.

I hate to say it, but I think they need to bring Kyle in on the secret now. The "secret identity" dynamic is all but out the window at this point, and now it just feels awkward that he's basically the only main character who doesn't know now.

And now for the quibble: I've never disliked Sarah, but this whole drama with Lana feels SO manufactured as an excuse to have her go live with Kyle to keep giving him a reason to stay in the show, it's transparent. They turned Sarah's brattiness levels up to 11 in this episode to the point that it just felt wildly OOC, And they did it just because they wanted to get Lana to the point of slapping her child. It just made them both look bad, and didn't feel in character for either, imo. Kyle Cushing ain't worth this character assassination, writers! :argh:

Still, a minor quibble in the grand scheme. Despite the lack of Bruno, still very intrigued by this whole plot, and I'll be very interested to hear the explanation for how they got their hands on that much of Superman's blood lol.

And now for the quibble: I've never disliked Sarah, but this whole drama with Lana feels SO manufactured as an excuse to have her go live with Kyle to keep giving him a reason to stay in the show, it's transparent. They turned Sarah's brattiness levels up to 11 in this episode to the point that it just felt wildly OOC, And they did it just because they wanted to get Lana to the point of slapping her child. It just made them both look bad, and didn't feel in character for either, imo. Kyle Cushing ain't worth this character assassination, writers! :argh:
I find the whole powderkeg of that relationship realistic. Was setting up the security system the first time Lana went by her original surname? I assume she discussed the name change with her kids in private earlier, but using it with someone outside the family made the change more real. Plus, Sarah must be noticing the new level of friendliness between her mom and John Henry.

Good episode. Glad I waited a day to watch it rather than going right into it after Bad Batch.

I really loved Chrissy getting the full Lois Lane experience. Really glad she is going on Lois' adventures with her.

Really liking the Jordan/Jon/Nat team ups going on. Feels like they are using Nat better this season a bit more.

I am glad, after last season, they at least showed her calling Lucy, even if she is unable to show up on the show this season. The whole cancer story is good, and everyone is doing top notch acting. I just wish it wasn't so sad, because I love it when the show is more fun and happy.

Just finished it and I agree, yet another very solid episode.

Love the nightmares Supes had about Lois dying (shot and produced very well), love Jordan/Jon/Nat and their Super Siblings dynamic, and again hats off to Bitsie Tulloch bringing the very human drama of having cancer without being melodramatic. She ups her game every week.

Call me a bad person, but I thought Sarah had it coming going off on her mother like that. If you have a good parent who's always treated you right, your mouth shouldn't be writing checks that your ass can't cash. But still, the Lana/Kyle family drama I still can do without.

Great episode!

Well Done.

From The Acting, To The Directing, to the writing , just stupendous.

So much good in this episode from all involved.

I actually felt Lana was the one who kinda went from zero to 60 in this episode in terms of her anger towards Sarah pre the slap, though Sarah was being pretty snarky.

Lana came in hot, and things escalated very quickly, which did feel contrived for me... at first blush.

The writers saved it for me when they had Lana allude to her mother's past behavior , which opens up an interesting can of worms into this Lana's background and her own issues.

It's is a new flavor to the Lana character, at least for me, and I'll be interested if they expand upon Lana's potential issues.

I've tended to fast forward through the Cushing family stuff these past couple years, but this was the first episode that really had me engaged in them .

I also really like Kyle and Chrissy.

They're such opposites, but their dynamic together is just "easy" which is how I could see them ending up together .

So for me, the episode ended up working on every level, It'd probably rank it as my favorite episode of the whole series actually.

As I said, well done.

So, the actor that portrayed Candice's father is also the same person that portrayed the first meteor freak/scarecrow (Jeremy Creek) in the pilot episode for Smallville.

latest

Last edited:
Another top episode.

Clark’s nightmare scene was effective.

Breaking the news was tough, especially on Sam.

I am loving the extended Supes-family in this show with the 2 boys, John Irons and Nat, even Sam. Especially with 3 of them having powers to help.

The new actor for Jonathan has fit right in.

I think it’s time to write Kyle out though. Too much time wasted on something that doesn’t contribute enough to the show. The Lana family drama just down to her and Sarah would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"