Supergirl Season 4, Episode 22: "The Quest For Peace" (SPOILERS)

Well I can now officially declare I think this was easily the best season to date. They stayed pretty consistent and managed to mostly stick the landing for a change. S1 did neither, and the last two seasons generally managed to do one or the other, but never both.

I'm just gonna ignore the Bendis of it all for the moment and hope S5 continues this upward trajectory (pssst...don't go full-evil with Lena, show, it won't work).

I agree, this season was really good. The last two episodes weren't the best of the season, but still pretty good. Cryer as Lex was fantastic, Lockwood had a good storyline and I think they limited the filler episodes compared to Flash.

Great finale. The last scenes gave me chills.

Bring on the Crisis...

I know there’s a difference with one being a season finale and the other being a series finale but I enjoyed this episode way more than Thrones.
Really great season overall.

Plus it seems like I was right with each Arrowverse show ending with a tease towards Crisis.

This has been my favorite Season of Supergirl to date.

I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't rely on the usual CW love triangles tropes , but instead focused on Xenophobia, alienation, prejudice ,acceptance, family, and hope.

There were some weaker point to be sure, but on the whole , it was a very strong imo.

I think its been their best season yet with some really great acting from Benoist, Witwer, Harewood, Rath, Cryer, and Xander Berkeley for the episode Man of Steel.

.Good Work

Because Lena now knows Kara's secret through Lex, they need to address this in the 5th season premiere instead of dragging out Kara wanting to reveal to Lena.

Also why did it took Lex to reveal Kara's secret to Lena? Her mother Lillian knows and she could have revealed it back in the last couple of seasons.

Because Lena now knows Kara's secret through Lex, they need to address this in the 5th season premiere instead of dragging out Kara wanting to reveal to Lena.

Also why did it took Lex to reveal Kara's secret to Lena? Her mother Lillian knows and she could have revealed it back in the last couple of seasons.
Lillian specifically told Kara she didn't want to reveal it because the longer it took for Lena to find out, the more she'd hate Kara for it. And that very statement has been haunting Kara ever since, which I'm sure is precisely why Lillian told her that. Lex only revealed it because he was literally dying, and wanted that last bit of satisfaction before he went.

Lillian specifically told Kara she didn't want to reveal it because the longer it took for Lena to find out, the more she'd hate Kara for it. And that very statement has been haunting Kara ever since, which I'm sure is precisely why Lillian told her that. Lex only revealed it because he was literally dying, and wanted that last bit of satisfaction before he went.

The writers must have harken back to Lillian's statements. But even if Kara told Lena at this point, she still would hate Kara regardless. As for Lex, Monitor is resurrecting him as there must be a battle between he and Superman.

Also looking forward to what new writer Jay Faerber brings for the 5th season.

2/3rds of this episode was very good. The fight scene set to Kickstart my Heart was well done. All of these shows need more of that and less of the blah, blah, blah.

The final third just about ruined it, though. The "Lena is betrayed" trope is just plain dumb. It's bending a supposedly brilliant character to daytime soap opera logic. Also, the fact that a dying Lex would know that this was a dagger for Lena is even more stupid.

Also, I think 99%+ of us can agree that Jimmy is a wasted character, period. Cut him loose, already. Kill him in the Crisis or something.

And now we have some kind of master organization that was even using LL for their goals? Come on, already.

I'm pretty sure they reused this shot in last night's episode :funny:

tumblr_php9kbjBQM1tm3ax3_540.png

Super character, has Jon Cryer, no. 4, Quest For Peace.
Superb. :up:

I saw this episode's title as I was scrolling down the forums front page, and felt like commenting on this albeit not following this show at all.
Sorry if this post comes across as trolling.

I'd say the season only really picked up for me at about the halfway point. Lex and the post-Elseworlds brought a much needed energy that, personally, I wasn't getting from the likes of the Children of Liberty or Lena.

At least Agent Liberty is still alive. Always hopeful to see more Sam Witwer.

Jimmy's a pirate now.

Kind of surprised they are going with Leviathan, since Bendis hasn't finished, or even really started his story on it.

I hope Lena doesn't turn evil. That would be too dull and boring.

I thought they might make Braniac the villain of next season. Guess they decided not to go there.

I also hope they don't drag it out with Kara's secret and Lena feeling betrayed.

Who was that other Martian at the end who looked just like J'onn?

What happened to Jimmy's eye exactly? I must've missed that. Did Cat scratch him?

Yeah, he was a good villain in Ostrander's MM run, so I look forward to seeing what they do with him. Though I feel they've already robbed him of one major villainous claim - him being the one that engineered the psychic plague that killed the Green Martians, since the show's already established that's not what happened to them.

I hope Lena doesn't turn evil. That would be too dull and boring.

I thought they might make Braniac the villain of next season. Guess they decided not to go there.

I also hope they don't drag it out with Kara's secret and Lena feeling betrayed.

Who was that other Martian at the end who looked just like J'onn?

What happened to Jimmy's eye exactly? I must've missed that. Did Cat scratch him?

Problem with Lena being evil is that it would not distinguish her from Lex and would end up being a Lex 2.0, which isn't needed.

Same thing with Brainiac 5 being a villain as we've seen it with Indigo back in the 1st season.

Dragging out Kara wanting to reveal her secret to Lena is pointless as they must address it in the 5th season premiere.

Bring on Checkmate....

I thought it was an okay episode. Not the best season finale. I liked it, but the only real good part was Lena shooting Lex.

Supergirl's fight scene with Lex was very vanilla. She dodged his krypto-beams with a few flips without even attacking and then had to be saved by Red Daughter, who really hardly had anything to do this season. In fact, there was no reason for Kara to be even wearing her suit seeing how we had the same outcome. Red daughter merging back with her gave her the strength anyway to counter Lex's krytpo-beams.

James with super strength but still struggling against a couple AoL goons was weird - as was the sudden music video. I hate when they do that, as I was immediately pulled out of the episode and there was really nothing special going on to warrant it.

Brainy's personality flip was pretty pointless too. If he was to be next season's villain then it would meant something, but it didn't go anywhere. His plant to have Dreamer and J'onn 'infiltrate' Lex's base was a good one and could have been used pretty straight forward anyway.

Lena finding out that Kara is Supergirl has been teased a lot - but I still don't see how that should make her a villain - or even just an enemy of Supergirl. Lena is a pretty smart, courageous character and to think that is all it would take to make her go rogue against her friends is pretty stupid. Kara as just Kara Danvers is still her best friend. Kara as Supergirl has saved Lena numerous times and they are on the same side. But somehow putting them both as the same person would make Lena hate her..? What..?

This was a good season overall. Better than last years with Reign, but they are still doing clunky stuff that is merely drama for the sake of drama. I'm hoping next year will be a bit more solid in terms of plot and villains. Red Daughter was underused, Lex didn't get enough and only Lockwood seemed to be a written well and with a solid story arc.

I haven't heard of Leviathan except for what I've now read on wiki, and I hope it is more than just another super-villain organization. Interesting that we are now getting J'onn J'ones' brother thanks to the Monitor who is still up to his univere-testing tricks and clearly Lex hasn't been killed off. That's good as I think he was the best villain this season. Jut don't make Lena the villain!

I get it, they want drama in Kara's reveal, but please make it a short thing. If they need to make Lena get mad about it then fine. Have them butt heads a few times and then team up against the main villain, but let's not draw it out and finally put it to rest. They are friends, now leave them as friends!

Am I the only who got the feeling the song choice was a little hint towards Captain Marvel that there were better songs that could've been used in a fight scene?

Anyone else find it odd that (when captured) John didn't do anything? It seems rather unlikely that any agency would have the means to block all alien powers, especially when they're so different from each other. It's not like they're all walking around with a meta gene that can simply be turned off. They're aliens, not metahumans.

That was J'onn's brother. And actual comic character.

Ma'alefa'ak - Wikipedia
Ah, but is he Jon's brother from the Earth-38 universe, or from another? And why would the Monitor want them to face off? Very odd.

Lena finding out that Kara is Supergirl has been teased a lot - but I still don't see how that should make her a villain - or even just an enemy of Supergirl. Lena is a pretty smart, courageous character and to think that is all it would take to make her go rogue against her friends is pretty stupid. Kara as just Kara Danvers is still her best friend. Kara as Supergirl has saved Lena numerous times and they are on the same side. But somehow putting them both as the same person would make Lena hate her..? What..?

----
I get it, they want drama in Kara's reveal, but please make it a short thing. If they need to make Lena get mad about it then fine. Have them butt heads a few times and then team up against the main villain, but let's not draw it out and finally put it to rest. They are friends, now leave them as friends!

(pssst...don't go full-evil with Lena, show, it won't work).

I am not sure what full evil is but it is easy to see how Lena could go fully antagonistic against Kara and Alex, at least for a while.

Lena is not a sadist, sociopath or psychopath. I think there is a very limited percentage of the population (probably 10%) that actually delight causing pain to people at all times.

However, the show has been pretty consistent at least as far back as back half of S3 (if not before) and especially this season in showing that Lena is driven first and foremost by her ego, her id. She has an extreme faith in her own talents and intellect, which is curiously combined with very poor judgment and extreme insecurity about her surname and her need to be taken at facevalue and not as a Luthor. She is easily manipulated by her need to be the best; and by her need for validation from her family (or parental figures); and her need to be seen as the Good Luthor.

She was manipulated in S2 by Rhea, S4 by Lex and Lillian... to singlehandedly cause a lot of Kara's problems. In S4: Kryptonite poisoning in the first half and Harun El in the second. Not to mention that the whole Children of Liberty thing was a result of Daxamite invasion, which was caused by Lena's poor judgement.

It is okay if someone has poor judgement; if that someone is willing to work with others and take advice from others. Lena doesn't do that. Even eve was just an assistant; all the decisions were made most of the time by Lena. She practically committed assisted suicide on a man who was not emotionally stable this season. Because, she didn't have the emotional bandwidth to consider the repercussions; and yes, had no checks on her by others.

She held a grudge against Supergirl (I know some might disagree on this) about the Kryptonite although Kara had tried to explain to her why she is so against Lena having Kryptonite. It was not about lack of trust in Lena, but what would happen in the wrong hands. (If Superman only trusts Batman with Kryptonite, Kara seems to only trust Alex and may be (?) J'onn.)

Ultimately, Kara had to apologise for Lena to agree to work with her.

She is also self-centred; I don't mean it in a bad way. I mean it in a kind of way that many people are. The entire back half of the season was about Lex destroying Supergirl's reputation and hurting her as far as possible and then aiming to kill her. However, if you look at how Lena reacts most of the time, it is an internal journey for her. When Supergirl is with her and goes with her to the prison, she doesn't think SG is there to work with her to find out what Lex is up to. She thinks SG is there to support her. In fact, for most of the Lex thing, her thinking is all about how Lex is manipulating her.

That he hates Kryptonians is an afterthought for her. Just like the fact that the Red Daughter is an actual person (instead of a weapon, an "it"; Kara had to correct her then) is an afterthought.

If she had accidentally found out from a stray footage that her brother had, she may have taken more positively to Kara and Supergirl being one and the same.

But the way Lex revealed it to her; playing to her ego; her fear of both being underestimated and being less than her family; her fear, lately, of being taken for a ride as Eve had done, the blow to her faith in her intellect... that would be very difficult for her to recover from on her own.

And, given the news, again, she chooses to do what she almost always does (though there was some initial growth this season that was then destroyed thanks to Lex and Eve). Instead of seeking help, she nurses the injury and the grievance.

She is right now at her most vulnerable, unable to think clearly, and because she can't bear the pain/the blow to her ego, most likely to blame Kara and may be Alex (because she has also been getting close to Alex).

It'd be very easy for someone to take advantage and lead her astray.

Say someone like the Leviathan and Eve. If they failed with one Luthor, why not the other?

They have Leviathan and J'onn's brother lined up as villains. They also have Lena. Why not combine at least two? I am not saying Lena will trust Eve; but they could make a deal of self-interest to destroy Supergirl between them.

I don't believe she will completely go psychopathic though. I think the writers and EPs love Lena too much for that; so may be by the end of the season (if is a 7-season show), she will be back in the fold. Brought back by Kara.

I think it is likely that Lena will not tell Kara that she knows. But, not sure how she will go after her. I thought may be through Alex, but not sure how that'd work either. And, Crisis complicates things.

For an episode named "The Quest for Peace", I thought that Supergirl might give an inspiring speech at the end to try to unite all aliens and humans and to bring a stop to all the hatred.

I am not sure what full evil is but it is easy to see how Lena could go fully antagonistic against Kara and Alex, at least for a while...(snip)

I can see all that. She's also been a person steadily manipulated for the majority of her life, if not by Lex than by her mother as well - but she sees it. She's aware of it, which means you alter how you interact with those kinds of manipulative people so they can't do that anymore.

The problem I have is that the character just doesn't seem to grow. They have her constantly setting her foot back into the trap, like she hasn't learned anything from past experiences. And that's not just the bad experiences with her family, but also the beneficial experiences with her friends. By now, she knows Lex/Lillian are manipulative as hell. And by now, she knows she has friends who she can depend on and who have willingly depended upon her.

But instead, we see her once again wallowing in anger and deceit, in that she did not let on that she now knows. If the show-writers had allowed her character to grow, then she should have confronted them immediately rather than smiling and pulling out a bottle of wine - and then smashing their group photo later in her office. That's what I am most tired of, is that Lena's character is always kept on egg-shells.

In the end, I hope they keep this contention short just like the last time, and the time before that. And maybe there was a time before that..? Or there will be...

For an episode named "The Quest for Peace", I thought that Supergirl might give an inspiring speech at the end to try to unite all aliens and humans and to bring a stop to all the hatred.

Well, we know that the show titles have not always followed the episode script.;) Although, there was a speech at the end, but it was give by Lockwood's son instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"