The Walking Dead Season 8 Episode 2 "The Damned" Discussion Thread

I’m already ready for this war to conclude, but I know that‘s not going to happen yet. I’m just not as invested as Gimple and co. want me to be in this war. The mundane shootouts aren’t as intense as they want it to be. In fact the battle so far (since the Season 7 finale) have been pretty tame and uneventful. I’ve also gotten numb to all the shootouts, which was bound to happen after 8 seasons. It’s also difficult to feel that anything’s at stake when underdeveloped background characters are being killed so far. Should’ve fleshed out some of these casualties better if they wanted me to care about their fate.

That was very contrived how they brought Morales back into the show. It’s just an excuse to pad out the season to fit 16 episodes. His fate should’ve been left to the viewers imagination. We don’t need to know the fate of every living character that Rick knew post zombie apocalypse. It was never a loose end, because Morales wasn’t that important of a character in Season 1. I doubt most viewers recognized him when he had Rick at gunpoint. Why reintroduce the character seven seasons later? I was fine with Morgan finding Rick in Washington because more thought was put into that (map in Gabriel’s deserted church with Rick‘s name on it). And it wasn’t as convoluted as Morales coincidentally running into Rick at a Savior compound. What are the odds (since the last we saw of him and his family) that Morales ended up in Virginia and being a member of the Saviors? That moment came off as fan fiction and fan service. Particularly for those who’ve been speculating about Morales’ fate since his departure from the Atlanta group in Season 1. Also did he know about Rick Grimes living under Negan’s thumb for the past two and a half weeks, as well as the circumstances that led to that, Negan bashing Glenn‘s brains in, and Daryl being temporarily held prisoner at the Sanctuary? Revealing Morales fate will take away from Season 1. Also this could mean that Morales is the character that’s crossing over on FTWD. If so Gimple might use that show, unfortunately, to fill in the blanks of what happened after he left Atlanta.

Loved that return. Absolutely loved it. Because this show isn't like other shows. On any regular TV series, if a character takes off five episodes in and is missing for the subsequent six seasons, there's no reason to even mention the character again, much less expect that they could actually show up again. But on TWD, if your ass didn't get killed on screen, you're still out there. And to approach it in a different way than what was done with Morgan, where instead of the character just going off the deep end, they actually return in direct opposition to the people he was aligned with early on, I'm really interested to see where this goes.

This episode certainly didn't lack in action and definitely felt like all out war. I liked that Jesus was trying to take prisoners and Morgan being conflicted about it but it made Tara seems less likable. Interesting moment when Rick realizes he killed a father who was just protecting his baby. I was surprised that we finally learned the fate of Morales who I think left all the way back in season 1 or 2.

I dont get why so many people are finding Tara unlikable. She wants to kill the Saviors...you know...the people who have been terrorizing them and so many others...the people who kill for fun...a man who had JUST destroyed pre-natal medicine that a pregnant woman needs just because he felt like it. Rick made it clear that Negan's loyal followers were going to have to be put down.

The idea of gathering up a bunch of Negan's loyal soldiers and bringing them to the community is STUPID. They had ONE prisoner in the past, and that prisoner escaped and caused harm. Having an army of prisoners together is a bad idea, even if the writing ends up with everything going well regarding the decision.

I dont get why so many people are finding Tara unlikable. She wants to kill the Saviors...you know...the people who have been terrorizing them and so many others...the people who kill for fun...a man who had JUST destroyed pre-natal medicine that a pregnant woman needs just because he felt like it. Rick made it clear that Negan's loyal followers were going to have to be put down.

The idea of gathering up a bunch of Negan's loyal soldiers and bringing them to the community is STUPID. They had ONE prisoner in the past, and that prisoner escaped and caused harm. Having an army of prisoners together is a bad idea, even if the writing ends up with everything going well regarding the decision.

Like I said earlier, they are going to either have to kill these guys or build a bigger jail. :(

Thanks to Twitter! :D

2afj21f.jpg

I still don’t remember him. :lmao:

camp dinnerbell...never forget:csad:

tara is awesome..shes wants to kill these bastards
not capture them...FOR WHAT?...WASTE THESE MOFOS,,PUT NEGANS PEOPLE DOWN.

Something felt... off about this episode.

Even though action was happening throughout the majority of it, it still felt like a filler episode to me.

I think it's because we're all a little burnt out on shootouts. :( I know I am.

Also the fact that the majority of the audience has no clue who the characters getting killed are.

True, there is less urgency. I'm just ready to move on to whatever is next.

Count me as another one who has no recollection of that Morales guy. I did like the way Rick killed that other dude though.

And Morgan going all Terminator was pretty cool. But Jesus is being super naive and it’s probably going to get people killed. Hell, it almost got HIM killed and he still went the “let’s play nice” route.

Also the fact that the majority of the audience has no clue who the characters getting killed are.

I think there are way too many unimportant characters on the show that nobody wants to see...

Yeah. It felt like the show was even acknowledging that in the premiere when Rick pointed to that female lieutenant of Negan’s and was like, “I don’t know your name.” All I could think was, “Is she a new character? Have we seen her before? I have no idea.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"