Gotham Gotham Season 2, Episode 1 "Damned If You Do" General Discussion

He's schizo. I'm guessing the violent one will become the dominant personality eventually. He will be obsessed with committing crimes the police can't solve. While the other personality will be the one that leaves the riddles as clues because he wants it to stop.

I very much like this idea.

As for Bruce blowing stuff up, he's still just a kid. It's perfectly understandable that he has yet to perfect his detecting skills and patience.

I think we're witnessing a soft reboot of the show's style and status quo; they wanted to dump some of their baggage and move on quickly, so they quietly shifted things, maybe implied Loeb's daughter is dead or safe somewhere, and gave us a perfected version of the "Gordon gets his hands dirty" plot from last year to transition to the new focus of the show.

This bugs me to no end. I was all kinds of confused during the episode because I thought I had missed some important developments. I hope they explain the inconsistencies away at some point in the season.

Outside of the Peguin/Zsasz scene, one Bruce/Alfred scene and some of the Jim/Leslie scenes, I thought this was pretty bad, especially with what they did to Jim. Completely unnecessary and out of character. Jerome and Barbara are going to be this season's Fish.

I thought the episode was ok. But, not really good as a season opener.

I enjoyed the previous season but... Not sure about this new tone if the premiere is anything to go by. I liked the Bruce sub plot and sure, the stuff with Jim and Cobblepot was shocking a bit, but I see were it was going. I liked that Harvey is turning a corner. He has to come back but be a less scummy tough guy (looks like Gordon has been a positive influence on him).

I didn't have the same complaints many did of season one. I thought the balance of nitty gritty and flamboyance was spot on, but... This was very Burton/Schumacher in presentation. It was a couple notches above the camp line for my tastes. It wasn't bad but... Well I will see where this all goes.

The only way this show can work and save itself now is if Bruce decided to become a child superhero and go battle Jerome to put a stop to the villains causing chaos. I'm not joking. I want this show to become a kid batman show now.

God bless you all! God bless everyone in your lives! God bless everyone!
tumblr_nv7wqkQ5i11qd37zro1_400.gif

216.gif

What is this post and what's with God blessing us all.

I think he thinks by saying that at the end of his comments anyone that calls him out for his posts would look like a jerk.

Finally got around to watching the episode. Thought it was very good.

Last season was rough, but it was partly the network's fault. They unexpectedly doubled the planned run of episodes in season one, forcing the writers to suddenly stretch their story into twice the number of episodes. Here, in season 2, the writers have had time to regroup and reassess. There's been no shortage of admittance from the cast and crew that a good chunk of season 1 didn't really work. Here we'll get to see whether this show can really achieve something with its concept.

As for the episode - everyone knows I love the shows campy tone, so the gaseous Arkham inmate etc. were all fun to watch. I'm still not a fan of Barbara but I can see how she could become a villain I love to hate. The seeds of the "Jim does something bad" storyline were already sewn in season 1, but I'm conflicted on the execution of this plot development here. On the one hand, it feels rushed. On the other hand, after the sluggish pace of last season, a more peppy pace is not unwelcome.

Eddie's brief appearance was fun. The Penguin is a highlight, as always. I can't get enough of that guy. In part because he's so well portrayed, and in part because I've been thirsting to see a live-action Penguin for some time. He's one of the more interesting characters on the show.

Selina
, as usual, seems shoehorned into the plot rather than organically related to it. Her abrupt support of Fish last season was jarring, and her new alliance with Penguin doesn't alleviate that. Hopefully we get more development for her character because right now she just seems to be bobbing along the current of the story, popping up randomly here and there with little coherent explanation. I get that Selina has always been traditionally portrayed as a conflicted character who sometimes does good and sometimes does bad... but we need a sense of motivation.

I hope Bullock isn't sidelined for long because he's a highlight of the show and we need more of him.

A few characters were written out. Sionis was killed off... unfortunate, as while the portrayal of the character was rather bland, I thought they could have done something more with the Black Mask storyline in the future.

Loeb made his exit, and I have to say... kudos to the actor for making me feel sorry for the character. I know Loeb's a scumbag but his dejected resignation still made him seem pitiable. The fact that he was forced out through some rather dirty methods instead of a more just and honest approach probably added to that feeling.

Galavan and his "sister" seem like they will be the main villains of the season. Not sure what they are after, but they seem interesting enough.

Jerome continues to alternate between being brilliant and annoying. I think the actor has a good thing going but he still needs to iron out the kinks. Nicholson and Ledger balanced their over-the-top portrayals with more subtle, nuanced moments and those are lacking here.

Overall, great episode, and a promising start to season 2.

☆☆☆☆

A few characters were written out. Sionis was killed off... unfortunate, as while the portrayal of the character was rather bland, I thought they could have done something more with the Black Mask storyline in the future.
Wasn't that just Richard Sionis, Black Mask's dad, though? I mean, I've just been assuming they still have plans for Roman at some point.

Right... I'm kinda assuming Roman is a kid, or won't be showing up anytime soon.

I've been crossing my fingers for child Roman to show up since the show started. Bruce needs other people to interact with and since Roman is like a dark mirror of Bruce it could make for a compelling storyline while they find new ways to stall Bruce on his road to Batman, lol.

I'd like that too. Although in a way it would make Richard's random-death-to-show-the-new-baddy-is-evil scene seem like even more of a waste. I can't help but feel they meant to do more with this character (hence having him locked up last season) but the actor wanted out or something so they killed him off.

This was definitely a great premiere. I could have been doing with more Bullock, but hopefully he gets a chance to shine further down the road. His brief scene with Gordon was fantastic.

Also, Sean Pertwee is just killing it as Alfred. Great stuff all around.

This was definitely a great premiere. I could have been doing with more Bullock, but hopefully he gets a chance to shine further down the road. His brief scene with Gordon was fantastic.

Also, Sean Pertwee is just killing it as Alfred. Great stuff all around.

I don't like the fuller beard, though. He looks like my father. :csad:

So we're behind in the UK (as per usual) and right now I'm watching the first episode of Season 2. Must say I found it abit weird, the show doesn't quite feel the same. I can't quite put my finger on it either, felt abit cheesier.

Still I enjoyed the episode mostly and by far the most interesting thing was Bruce trying to open the entrance to 'the cave'. I'd fall it a good season premiere.

So we're behind in the UK (as per usual) and right now I'm watching the first episode of Season 2. Must say I found it abit weird, the show doesn't quite feel the same. I can't quite put my finger on it either, felt abit cheesier.

Still I enjoyed the episode mostly and by far the most interesting thing was Bruce trying to open the entrance to 'the cave'. I'd fall it a good season premiere.

Wait until you see episode 2 and 3. They are the highlights of the season, at least for me anyway. I'm from the UK too and I wonder if Channel 5 is airing it now so that they can run the whole season continuously without having to break it in the middle because the US should be half way though their run of the second half by the time we catch up to the end of the first half.

Wait until you see episode 2 and 3. They are the highlights of the season, at least for me anyway. I'm from the UK too and I wonder if Channel 5 is airing it now so that they can run the whole season continuously without having to break it in the middle because the US should be half way though their run of the second half by the time we catch up to the end of the first half.

Cool, I did enjoy episode 1 just something felt weird can't explain it.

Yeah I think Channel 5 are doing that intentionally. Wonder if the viewing figures dropped off after the break last year.

Zsasz and Penguin together (in the Loeb scene) were hilarious.

He's schizo. I'm guessing the violent one will become the dominant personality eventually. He will be obsessed with committing crimes the police can't solve. While the other personality will be the one that leaves the riddles as clues because he wants it to stop.
Sounds awesome. Hope it happens like that. I really enjoyed this Nygma scene, my favourite one of him so far.
^I love that idea.

Zaardon was the best part of this episode. I hope he returns for more. Jerome was also great. I loved how enthusiastic he was about everything, from becoming Barbara's friend to working for Galveson. Selina and Zsasz working for Penguin is just perfection. I want to see what the repercussions will be of Gordon killing that mobster.

I also liked Jerome ("Nevermind" :woot:). Zsasz and Selina working for the main man is great.

Barbara was getting annoying as a goodie and is already more interesting now that she's switched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"