The Walking Dead Season 8 Episode 9 "Honor" Discussion Thread

I like to think that I’m mostly over this show but I still choked up a bit. RIP Carl.

NGL I was half expecting Siddiq to trip, hit his head, and die in front of a crying Rick. :oldrazz:

I'm so conflicted. Part of was like "Uh... what?" and part of me liked it. The writing is so bad. Michonne asking Carl if he was okay almost made me LOL. Carl having to explain to Rick that a walker bite wasn't from the Saviors?????? Carl gets a monologue from a guy he's known for 3 hours and just a few words from Daryl because he doesn't talk now for some reason. But the actors did a great job with material that's below them.

Not to mention Carl telling Rick about that kid (from Woodbury) that he killed in cold blood at the prison as if it was some secret he kept from him. Even though Hershel already told Rick shortly afterwards. The writers must've forgotten about that moment. :huh: That incident was partially the reason why Rick and Carl were stuck doing farming duty at the beginning of Season 4. The writers must've figured that prison incident would add some weight to Carl's abrupt transition from future serial killer to pacifist, but it's so contrived and sloppy. It's becoming more obvious that Carl 's death wasn't properly planned if planned at all.

Not to mention Carl telling Rick about that kid (from Woodbury) that he killed in cold blood at the prison as if it was some secret he kept from him. Even though Hershel already told Rick shortly afterwards. The writers must've forgotten about that moment. :huh: That incident was partially the reason why Rick and Carl were stuck doing farming duty at the beginning of Season 4. The writers must've figured that prison incident would add some weight to Carl's abrupt transition from future serial killer to pacifist, but it's so contrived and sloppy. It's becoming more obvious that Carl 's death wasn't planned.
Oh yeah, that too. Rick and Carl's Season 4 story was based around it. Bizarre.

Greg Nicotero was on Talking Dead and I swear he said something about Carl not being part of any war. He fired the second shot after The Governor killed Hershel and he started it at Alexandria in the Season 6 finale. C'mon, Greg, you directed it. :lmao:

wow, this episode got a 93% on rotten tomatoes, so maybe the show is on the rise again

I'm surprised it was rated that high. I didn't think it was awful, but that dip in quality is still there. :(

giphy.gif

Chandler Riggs, Andrew Lincoln, and Danai Gurira deserve all the praise for last night’s episode. Their performances carried it but it still didn’t need to be 83 minutes.

wow, this episode got a 93% on rotten tomatoes, so maybe the show is on the rise again

It was indeed a very well-produced episode. I still think killing Carl was a mistake going forward, but I can't argue with how emotional that scene was. Riggs, Gurira, and Lincoln were sublime. I'm going to miss that trio.

That being said, the show needs to wrap up the AOW arc as soon as possible. It's in danger of fizzling.

It's already fizzling, but Gimple said All Out War will wrap up this season.

Last edited:
Yup. Time to move on. :(

Well, All Out War was never going to be a full two seasons, anyway. There's a time skip to get to, so sounds about right that Negan's downfall would come by the end of the season anyway.

Me, too. It's just taking too long. Negan killed this show. :(

I'm convinced that it should have mostly wrapped up by now and the majority of the back 8 this season should have been focused on new storylines.

the all out war could've started at the second half of season 7. instead season 7 was practically a filler season.

the all out war could've started at the second half of season 7. instead season 7 was practically a filler season.

I’m afraid I have to agree. A show like this has always had to adhere to a brisk pace to keep things moving. The last episode of Season 6, at least until the lame cliffhanger ending, was in my opinion a truly terrifying episode where our group was absolutely overwhelmed. That momentum could have carried another 8 episodes, but then let’s get this show on the road. Instead, greed ruled the day, which is typically the downfall of most great TV shows with few exceptions. TWD just dragged on and on and on to the point now that the next storyline may not get the attention it deserves, which is a shame.

I’m afraid I have to agree. A show like this has always had to adhere to a brisk pace to keep things moving. The last episode of Season 6, at least until the lame cliffhanger ending, was in my opinion a truly terrifying episode where our group was absolutely overwhelmed. That momentum could have carried another 8 episodes, but then let’s get this show on the road. Instead, greed ruled the day, which is typically the downfall of most great TV shows with few exceptions. TWD just dragged on and on and on to the point now that the next storyline may not get the attention it deserves, which is a shame.
the way the show has been is basically the reason why i stopped watching. season 6 sucked, season 7 sucked and that's where i stopped watching the show after that; i only watched the recent episode because i'm home and my mother is a bigger fan of the show than i am now

however, no two ways about it, the most recent episode was critically acclaimed. no matter how much i dislike it now, can't deny perhaps the show is getting a resurgence

I still watch because I've been doing it for so long. It's not bad enough for me to quit, but it's not the top of my list anymore. :(

I still watch because I've been doing it for so long. It's not bad enough for me to quit, but it's not the top of my list anymore. :(

well you've got more patience for amc than I do. the season 6 bullshxt along with the season 7 finale tested mine and I ran out of it all

the way the show has been is basically the reason why i stopped watching. season 6 sucked, season 7 sucked and that's where i stopped watching the show after that; i only watched the recent episode because i'm home and my mother is a bigger fan of the show than i am now

however, no two ways about it, the most recent episode was critically acclaimed. no matter how much i dislike it now, can't deny perhaps the show is getting a resurgence

It was by no means a bad episode. It’s just that the producers seem to rely more now on purely emotional shock value as opposed to the first 5-6 seasons that genuinely built horror/suspense/tension through strong characterization and storytelling. That is what they need in order to gain back traction in the week-to-week public consciousness.

It was by no means a bad episode. It’s just that the producers seem to rely more now on purely emotional shock value as opposed to the first 5-6 seasons that genuinely built horror/suspense/tension through strong characterization and storytelling. That is what they need in order to gain back traction in the week-to-week public consciousness.

I disagree. You say “first” 5-6 seasons as if that’s not the majority of the show. While character development is important, they should have fleshed out personalities by now otherwise they did something wrong in the development process. Namely I’d say too slow of pacing and far too much filler

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"