The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 5, Episode 9 Discussion Thread

if Negan comes on the show.....then does that mean
GLENN WILL BITE THE DUST

X28WLf4.gif

LOL, that's going to become a meme.

Great episode. Loved the Governor cameo and it was a nice sendoff for Tyreese. It's strange though. I haven't read the comics but from what I understand, Tyreese is much more of a badass there. I wonder why they made him such a timid character on the show, at least in the last couple seasons. I wish they would have given him some sort of ultimate badass moment before killing him off. Granted, letting a walker gnaw on your arm while you get a weapon to kill him is pretty tough, but he was already a goner at that point.

After sleeping on it.
It was a pretty good send off. No he never reached the potential of his comic counterpart but I dont hold that against the show. I did like all of the cameos

I still think they kill off too many people. As I said before, there's almost no reason, to me, to get attached to characters when they just get killed off left and right. Sometimes in a really stupid manner like Tyreese.

But what if dies before his development is developed? :D

Best shot was the most simple one of the episode...the slow movement on the train tracks towards the forest. Epic.

Since the show is diverging so much from the comic, I'm hoping Glenn and Abraham stay alive a lot longer.

Can’t say that I’m heartbroken or even upset that Tyreese bit the dust. He was a poorly written character who seemed to get worse each season, imo. Mazzera forced him into season 3 for fan service and having little to no idea what to do with him. The character became unlikable in season 4 and a useless wimp in season 5. It pains me to say that b/c Chad Coleman is a pretty good actor and seems like a nice and humble guy in his interviews. It’s a shame that not only the writers wasted a beloved character (who became unnecessary by the time he was introduced on the show) in the comics but wasted a talented actor who never got to improve or grow in the role.

I also thought it was really lame how he got bit., which was just as asinine as how Andrea was taken out on the show imo. I mean seriously Tyreese was that distracted by Noah’s family photos that he couldn’t hear a snarling walker, coming from behind him? What exactly was in those pictures that got his undivided attention?

With that said I still enjoyed this episode. The highlight for me was Tyreese having hallucinations of Bob, Beth, The Gov., Lizzie, Micah, and Martin. Wasn’t expecting that. Felt like something out of a Rescue Me episode.

I thought it was interesting how we as viewers got to see how the fever affects Ty from his perspective. We don’t often get to see how the fever affects a character psychologically.

The best thing about this episode was seeing Morrissey back as The Gov. I have to admit though the end where you see Tyreese's hat on his grave was really touching. As character deaths go in this show his was very well handled.

I won't miss him though. Nothing against the actor but the character lacked any real spark, and was always a general drag. I think the only time I liked him was when he was on the road with Carol and the girls.

The rest of the episode was fairly meh. Michonne's speech about going to Washington was good though. The show needs to move onto a big proper storyline. No more of this wandering around the road stuff trying to survive, and definitely no more dividing the group up so we get these solo type episodes which have generally been so boring. Bring on Alexandria and Negan. We've done The Governor destroying the prison. We've done the kid sibling turned killer. We've done the cannibals. The next big story in the comic is Alexandria and Negan. The show needs it. And lets see Morgan finally play a proper role in this season.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the thing that bugged me so much about Tyreese is that the guy is HUGE and yet he became the biggest wimp in the group, other than Father Candyass. Strange that they got two alums from The Wire to play the biggest cowards/dead weight on the show. I mean, enough with "holding onto your humanity" and a bit more "wake the f*** up" you know? Tyreese should have stepped back, looked at himself, and thought, "I'd better step the hell up here or else my sister and my friends could end up getting killed." But nah, just sit back, take care of the baby, and let the other people do the dirty work. Come on, man.

I ****ing called it in the Tyreese thread that he was being set up to bite the bullet. :argh:

I didn't like all the Ghosts of Christmas past stuff in this episode but it was good seeing Beth again.

Bye Tyrese!

Gov was back! One of my favorite character who is sadly gone. Was good to see him again though

That made me think of angel. That smile, my goodness, could melt an iceberg.

LOL, that's going to become a meme.

Great episode. Loved the Governor cameo and it was a nice sendoff for Tyreese. It's strange though. I haven't read the comics but from what I understand, Tyreese is much more of a badass there. I wonder why they made him such a timid character on the show, at least in the last couple seasons. I wish they would have given him some sort of ultimate badass moment before killing him off. Granted, letting a walker gnaw on your arm while you get a weapon to kill him is pretty tough, but he was already a goner at that point.

He did have a couple. Fighting his way through that heard of walkers on the med run and overpowering the walkers at the cabin to save Judith from Martin were both amazing moments. Although, I wouldn't have minded a few more of those.

Decent episode to come back but I thought it was a bit stupid killing Tyrese so soon after Beth died. And yeah, I never red the comics but Tyrese as a character had so much potential.

Tyrese's death was very sad, but did you see how Rick looks now, he might have a fully grown folk beard by the end of the season.

I don't know if someone already mentioned this. But can someone explain to me why Tyresse is looking at those pictures in a weird way? I can't tell if he's freaking out or maybe he noticed something in those pictures. That's the only thing in the episode that I didn't understand.

I do think that scene of him looking at the pics was a little long but I just thought it was just him figuring out there was one more brother, and being that it looks like one twin ate the other, it was just a very slow 1.......+.......1......=.........2!!! I BEST TURN AROUND!!

He did have a couple. Fighting his way through that heard of walkers on the med run and overpowering the walkers at the cabin to save Judith from Martin were both amazing moments. Although, I wouldn't have minded a few more of those.

Yeah, those moments were good, but I was hoping that he'd eventually come around and realize that the world has changed and you HAVE to be brutal, you HAVE to be vicious to survive in it. Oh, well.

Also, Topher for Negan.

I do think that scene of him looking at the pics was a little long but I just thought it was just him figuring out there was one more brother, and being that it looks like one twin ate the other, it was just a very slow 1.......+.......1......=.........2!!! I BEST TURN AROUND!!

That's what I took away from the prior moments. He was initially just taking in some of Noah's history, but he focused on the brothers at the last second.

Yeah, those moments were good, but I was hoping that he'd eventually come around and realize that the world has changed and you HAVE to be brutal, you HAVE to be vicious to survive in it. Oh, well.

Also, Topher for Negan.

Becoming vicious just wasn't in Tyreese. Like Herschel, he was determined to never give his soul to the new reality even if it cost him his life.

Also, Topher auditioned to be Carl's stunt double, but he's probably still bitter about losing that role to Savana Jade Wehunt. I doubt he would want to auditon for 10-year-old Negan in the flashback eppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"