Secret Wars discussion

If they can Kang but still intend to keep the multiverse angle post-Deadpool 3, that could turn out to be the case.

I watched that Kang variants scene from Quantumania today, from YouTube. And I thought it was a bad scene. Very over the top.

I'm finding the time when to binge watch all phase 4 and 5 films. As I haven't seen them in full since I saw them in theaters.

I do agree that they went a weirdly goofy tone for that scene. Another one of that movie's many questionable choices.

I watched that Kang variants scene from Quantumania today, from YouTube. And I thought it was a bad scene. Very over the top.

I'm finding the time when to binge watch all phase 4 and 5 films. As I haven't seen them in full since I saw them in theaters.

I do agree that they went a weirdly goofy tone for that scene. Another one of that movie's many questionable choices.
I just laugh at how ridiculous the scene is. The more I watch it the more I think that the Immortus variant's voice sounds like Winnie the Pooh with emphysema. Majors made a weird acting choice there.

I usually do a full MCU marathon every 2 years starting in January to keep things fresh in my mind. So I get to do one in about a month and I'm excited. Like you, I haven't watched phase 4/5 movies since I watched them in the theatre.

Wasn't Endgame a soft reboot? He did basically say it was like an ending for the MCU.

Almost every post Endgame story so far is a direct followup to Endgame with extremely heavy amounts of continuity referencing phase 1-3 events. A story being a good ending has nothing to do with whether or not the next story functions as a soft reboot.

Almost every post Endgame story so far is a direct followup to Endgame with extremely heavy amounts of continuity referencing phase 1-3 events. A story being a good ending has nothing to do with whether or not the next story functions as a soft reboot.
I mean Kevin Feige called the the last two phases a "reset" of the MCU at a convention as I recall.

I mean Kevin Feige called the the last two phases a "reset" of the MCU at a convention as I recall.

That still doesn't make it a reboot. The whole point of a reboot is about minimizing or outright eliminating narrative connections to previous stories.

I guess Phase 4 could be considered a reset of sorts ("reset" is not exactly a commonly used term for any kind of narrative convention, as far as I'm aware), since it's the start of a new saga with a beginning, middle, and end of its own, but that doesn't make it a soft reboot in the sense that people typically use the term soft reboot for. Like, take Loki, the entire story is the direct result of a very context specific event in Endgame (when Loki stole the tesseract in the past). WandaVision is about Wanda coping with Vision's death in Infinity War, with a side order of her coping with Quicksilver's death in AoU. Also features the return of Darcy and Monica Rambeau from Thor 2 and Captain Marvel respectively, and directly shows the latter's experience when she was restored to life at the end of the Blip in Endgame. Spider-man NWH's plot kicks off as a direct result of Mysterio revealing Peter's identity in FFA, and hinges on Peter knowing Dr. Strange from Infinity War. Thor 4 starts with Thor adventuring with the GotG and then focuses on the return of Jane who was last seen in Thor 2, and how she restores and controls the hammer that was shattered in Thor 3, and gains the powers of Thor due to an incantation that was made by Odin in Thor 1. Shang Chi features the return of Trevor Slattery from Iron Man 3, the Ten Rings organization that was first introduced in Iron Man 1, and the real Mandarin who was first teased in All the King, as well as features Abomination and Wong in a random appearance that starts a plot thread that is continued in She-Hulk.

I could go on, almost every phase 4 and 5 project connects heavily to Phase 1-3. That's the exact opposite of a reboot.

Whereas, presumably, Secret Wars could lead to a true soft reboot if it ends up abolishing old continuity in some way. My guess is that the incursion will create a new universe that maintains some elements of MCU continuity while changing others, and that we will be gradually introduced to what's changed and what's still the same in a way that assumes you've never watched phases 1 through 6. That would be an actual soft reboot.

Last edited:
I dont like MCU taking the same direction as DC
But it wont be a reboot for phase 7 but a "616 post-secret wars" with a merge of characters from others universes coming into 616

It will be All new All different phase 7.
In comics, after 2015'Secret Wars, 616 became 616-earth Prime, with Ultimate and others universes being destroyed

If true, I honestly think it would be for the best. Secret Wars would not be done well in just one film.

If true, I honestly think it would be for the best. Secret Wars would not be done well in just one film.

I'm confused.

I hope Kevin Feige reveals the road map for phase 5 and 6 in SDCC 2024. With The Marvels flopping, I think that 2025 movie line up needs to be changed. And does it mean, we are getting Avengers 8 in the form of Secret Wars II and we are still getting The Kang Dynasty before the first Secret Wars? So 2026-2027-2028 for Avengers 5 to 8?

Kang Dynasty seems all but scrapped at this point given the title change to "Avengers 5" and how more than likely they're discarding Kang entirely. Whether the fifth Avengers movie is being reformatted into the first parter for Secret Wars or something unrelated beforehand, I don't know.

Kang Dynasty seems all but scrapped at this point given the title change to "Avengers 5" and how more than likely they're discarding Kang entirely. Whether the fifth Avengers movie is being reformatted into the first parter for Secret Wars or something unrelated beforehand, I don't know.
Three back to back Avengers movies seem overkill.

The Kang Dynasty is not a good title in my opinion. Though I don't want Part 1 and Part 2 in the title either. So i prefer if they just call it Avengers: Secret Wars for A5 and Avengers: Something for A6.

I hope the development of these two movies are going well. Aside from Fantastic 4, I'm not eXcited for Captain America 4, Thunderbolts, Blade, Thor 5 and Shang-Chi 2.

Agreed, I hope it’s true. The MCU need an event like this done justice to win back much of the GA.

Because the MCU needs Deadpool more than Deadpool needs it. That movie will be a success regardless of its MCU connection, just based on how the first two did under Fox. If anything, something like a Marvels or Guardians 3 or even Quantumania, which organically began in the MCU, should do the righting of the ship.

That's putting way too much pressure on that film. Did Wonder Woman right the ship for the DCEU? Because Wonder Woman was very successful.
It didnt' right the ship.But it was what the DCEU needed at the time, a shot in the arm. Had WW84 been a better film, who knows what would have happened?

It didnt' right the ship.But it was what the DCEU needed at the time, a shot in the arm. Had WW84 been a better film, who knows what would have happened?

I don't think it would've made much of a difference by that point between the new regimes and WBD.

Deadpool & Wolverine is the only guaranteed film for success right now. However, eXpect some forks if that movie is seen as the worst Deadpool film. And if the Multiverse aspect of it gets heavily criticized.

Captain America 4 sounds like a mess. That 2025 delay for a film that finished principal photography in 2023, is a big red flag.

I'm also not convinced yet that a Thunderbolts movie and a 2nd Fantastic 4 reboot will do well at the boX office. Even if they are great, disappointing boX office numbers can really do a big damage to the brand. Then there's Blade, who needs a miracle and even if its a smooth sailing now, 4mcu movies in 2025 is such an overkill for the public.

If Spider-Man 4 or Black Panther 3 or Avengers 5 are coming out neXt year, there would be more possibility for these 2025 films to really do well. But Sam Wilson plus 3 ips that are headlining their first Mcu film... I don't know how why anyone from Marvel Studios/Disney thought that was a good idea to release them all in the same year. Even after the Marvels, they aren't still changing that line up and just swapped Thunderbolts/Fantastic 4 like as if it would do something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"