Legends Sequel Cartoon to Rebels?

godisawesome

Sidekick
Reaction score
Some of you guys may have heard the rumors that Dave Filoni has been getting more hands-off with Rebels so that he can get more hands-on with a new cartoon, possibly one set to premier after The Last Jedi and dealing with the Post-ROTJ timeline. If so, What would you guys like to see in this show?

If possible, would like to see an animated version of the Thrawn trilogy. They would probably need to change some elements, but i think the overall story would be adaptable.

Even though many will probably want to see new characters like what Rebels did, i would frankly like to see what kinds of adventures Luke, Leia and Han had after the main trilogy. I feel like they deserve to have their oun show.

Yeah that probably won't happen. Aftermath undoes almost everything of the Thrawn trilogy at it's core so that's probably a no go. Though I would love to see some of the characters from Aftermath in the new series. If that is indeed the timeline. In Aftermath just one year after the Battle of Endor and just before the Battle of Jakku Leia says that Luke is already looking for old teachings of Jedi across the galaxy. It would be cool to see some of what he does.

I can see (and do believe we're going to get) Thrawn showing up in Dave Filoni's next animated series, if it is indeed going to be set Post-Endor. But an actual adaptation of Zahn's original trilogy? I can't really see that happening, not when they've clearly made Luke more of an elusive figure in canon, have outright said they probably won't reintroduce Mara Jade, and all the political shakeups that the Aftermath trilogy introduced. C'Baoth and the whole Dark Jedi/Mad Clone thing was kind of already made difficult to reintroduce when we saw the Clone Wars in the Prequels, which really goes against the notion Zahn was running with that clones were dangerous by nature.

But that said, I do think Thrawn will be an antagonist in the show, just not the major antagonist. I think we'll probably see a show on the scale of the Clone Wars with it really being about the larger state of the Galaxy after the New Republic sets up and all the growing pains that can come with returning things to democracy. Plus there are several new potential antagonists that Chuck Wendig introduced in Empire's End such as "The New Separatist Union", "Confederacy of Corporate Systems", the band of Pirates who had taken over one of the last Super Star Destroyers, Black Sun who rose to power after Jabbas death....there's a lot of material there to use, and I imagine Thrawn would be just one element in that larger tapestry.

I'd be all for a mini-arc structured, post-ROTJ cartoon series where members of the OT cast make appearances, if not actual starring roles.

The way I see it, Aftermath and other new books are painting the picture of a post-Empire Galaxy where the New Republic is standing triumphant, but occupying far less space and excercising far less authority over the Galaxy than its predecessors. We're probably seeing multiple competing powers, and likely large sections of "frontier." It's the Wild West in space, with different civilized areas of control and some of them may be belligerent but too weak to challenge the New Republic to a fight. There are threats that the little guy has to avoid, and there are villains and monsters out there, but there's also reluctance towards allying with the New Rpeublic because of the history of the Galaxy. Some people join Neo-Separatist groups, some join anarchic pirate societies, some find themselves swept into the havoc of the Hutt's crumbling empire, and then there are other systems, perhaps Mandalore included, just trying to get by.

Into this chaos, you introduce your main cast. If it was me, the core characters would be new, but their boss would be a major OT character who nonetheless has a wide open future: Lando Calrissian. The cast is a combination transportation/security company dealing with this new chaos, and occaisionally having to resort to violence and espionage to accomplish their goals. The main enemies are criminals, local warlords, and secretive and enigmatic Imperial holdouts who just seem to disappear from the Galaxy whenever you've tracked them down... Cast would include ex-Rebel and ex-Imperial characters, learning to get along while the latter start to get some perspective on the Empire's actual nature. And, on occasion, particularly dangerous adventures and quests see help provided by other Saga characters, like Senator Leia Organa, Lando's competitor and Leia's husband Han, Countess Sabine Wren of Krownest, and maybe a few, quiet cameos by a wandering Jedi named Luke Skywalker, who has no problem pausing his philosophical scavenger hunting to help people.

Enemies I'd go ahead and cast? Warlord Zsinj, playing up the corporate executive angle and embracing his obfuscating stupidity for full, fun Saturday-morning cartoon villainy while keeping him dangerous and maybe having him employ ex-ISC troops as Raptors. Black Sun, perhaps run by multiple Vigos, who are trying to gobble up Jabba's territory and who Lando feels he can play off each other. And a few quiet First Order fanatics recruiting Imperial personnel and sabotaging the New Republic's peace, preferably lead by a holographic Blackhole.

Oh, and I'd have the main protagonist and team leader under Lando be a female Ex-Imperial secret agent who keeps on running onto Luke whenever he pops up, a woman who has red hair and possible Force abilities...

Yeah, Mara Jade would be the lead. I know they've said they probably won't introduce the character, but c'mon. If Rey Skywalker winds up being the real deal, which it probably should be, just from the standpoint of merchandising and buzz, then we need someone to be Mama Skywalker. And unless they have some *very* radical ideas on how to take that character concept, Mara Jade is basically a proof-of-concept that was also financially successful.

I can see (and do believe we're going to get) Thrawn showing up in Dave Filoni's next animated series, if it is indeed going to be set Post-Endor. But an actual adaptation of Zahn's original trilogy? I can't really see that happening, not when they've clearly made Luke more of an elusive figure in canon, have outright said they probably won't reintroduce Mara Jade, and all the political shakeups that the Aftermath trilogy introduced. C'Baoth and the whole Dark Jedi/Mad Clone thing was kind of already made difficult to reintroduce when we saw the Clone Wars in the Prequels, which really goes against the notion Zahn was running with that clones were dangerous by nature.

But that said, I do think Thrawn will be an antagonist in the show, just not the major antagonist. I think we'll probably see a show on the scale of the Clone Wars with it really being about the larger state of the Galaxy after the New Republic sets up and all the growing pains that can come with returning things to democracy. Plus there are several new potential antagonists that Chuck Wendig introduced in Empire's End such as "The New Separatist Union", "Confederacy of Corporate Systems", the band of Pirates who had taken over one of the last Super Star Destroyers, Black Sun who rose to power after Jabbas death....there's a lot of material there to use, and I imagine Thrawn would be just one element in that larger tapestry.

I dont think Thrawn will surrive the OT era. I mean Aftermath has not made much mention of him, if at all. You think they would especially with the latest Aftermath book.

I think we could see more of the chaos though, different factions clamoring for the vaccum the Empire left.

I'd be all for a mini-arc structured, post-ROTJ cartoon series where members of the OT cast make appearances, if not actual starring roles.

The way I see it, Aftermath and other new books are painting the picture of a post-Empire Galaxy where the New Republic is standing triumphant, but occupying far less space and excercising far less authority over the Galaxy than its predecessors. We're probably seeing multiple competing powers, and likely large sections of "frontier." It's the Wild West in space, with different civilized areas of control and some of them may be belligerent but too weak to challenge the New Republic to a fight. There are threats that the little guy has to avoid, and there are villains and monsters out there, but there's also reluctance towards allying with the New Rpeublic because of the history of the Galaxy. Some people join Neo-Separatist groups, some join anarchic pirate societies, some find themselves swept into the havoc of the Hutt's crumbling empire, and then there are other systems, perhaps Mandalore included, just trying to get by.

Into this chaos, you introduce your main cast. If it was me, the core characters would be new, but their boss would be a major OT character who nonetheless has a wide open future: Lando Calrissian. The cast is a combination transportation/security company dealing with this new chaos, and occaisionally having to resort to violence and espionage to accomplish their goals. The main enemies are criminals, local warlords, and secretive and enigmatic Imperial holdouts who just seem to disappear from the Galaxy whenever you've tracked them down... Cast would include ex-Rebel and ex-Imperial characters, learning to get along while the latter start to get some perspective on the Empire's actual nature. And, on occasion, particularly dangerous adventures and quests see help provided by other Saga characters, like Senator Leia Organa, Lando's competitor and Leia's husband Han, Countess Sabine Wren of Krownest, and maybe a few, quiet cameos by a wandering Jedi named Luke Skywalker, who has no problem pausing his philosophical scavenger hunting to help people.

Enemies I'd go ahead and cast? Warlord Zsinj, playing up the corporate executive angle and embracing his obfuscating stupidity for full, fun Saturday-morning cartoon villainy while keeping him dangerous and maybe having him employ ex-ISC troops as Raptors. Black Sun, perhaps run by multiple Vigos, who are trying to gobble up Jabba's territory and who Lando feels he can play off each other. And a few quiet First Order fanatics recruiting Imperial personnel and sabotaging the New Republic's peace, preferably lead by a holographic Blackhole.

Oh, and I'd have the main protagonist and team leader under Lando be a female Ex-Imperial secret agent who keeps on running onto Luke whenever he pops up, a woman who has red hair and possible Force abilities...

Yeah, Mara Jade would be the lead. I know they've said they probably won't introduce the character, but c'mon. If Rey Skywalker winds up being the real deal, which it probably should be, just from the standpoint of merchandising and buzz, then we need someone to be Mama Skywalker. And unless they have some *very* radical ideas on how to take that character concept, Mara Jade is basically a proof-of-concept that was also financially successful.

You are clinging I think too hard to Legends. They are not going to just pull every character out of it. I know now that Thrawn has been re-introduced, some planets hints of certain elements everyone is thinking every single character is coming back. Just like with Rey/Kylo there was influence from Legends, but they were not Jania and Jacen in more ways than one. But there were elements of them to be had in there. If there is a mamma Skywalker, again I don't think they will use the name Mara Jade, nor have her too much like her. Again elements not full blown pulling from Legends.

I think you could have more fun with Luke in this series, and have him as the lead known character. Seeing him build the new order, the Knights of Ren, his failings all of it would make for interesting stories. Him and his students looking for old Jedi artifacts, temples and teachings would help with giving it that adventurous edge, and not just pure politics.

There are lots of room for multiple series in honestly, from just following the events after Aftermath, to someone when Ben is a student with Luke. Endless possibilities. But personally for me, I would like to see chunks of it following Luke and his journey to learning more of the Jedi's past, which could drop hints for an eventual Old Republic Era movie etc.

I dont think Thrawn will surrive the OT era. I mean Aftermath has not made much mention of him, if at all. You think they would especially with the latest Aftermath book.

I think we could see more of the chaos though, different factions clamoring for the vaccum the Empire left.

Just in case I'm spoiling, I'll tag this:
He's mentioned in Empire's End as having been instrumental to Palpatine's plans for charting the Unknown Regions in the search for what (I assume) is Snoke, and it's mentioned that Palpatine sent several probes and scout parties into that part of space ahead of the First Order groups that never returned. So there's a decent chance he's still around.

Just in case I'm spoiling, I'll tag this:
He's mentioned in Empire's End as having been instrumental to Palpatine's plans for charting the Unknown Regions in the search for what (I assume) is Snoke, and it's mentioned that Palpatine sent several probes and scout parties into that part of space ahead of the First Order groups that never returned. So there's a decent chance he's still around.

Yeah, I remember that part.

However that does not specify a time, which it could have happened from Thrawn's arrival during the rise of the Empire. It just does not really spell out Thrawn is still alive.

Yeah, I remember that part.

However that does not specify a time, which it could have happened from Thrawn's arrival during the rise of the Empire. It just does not really spell out Thrawn is still alive.

It doesn't, but I think it does provide wriggle room. And even if it didn't, I don't believe that it's a character that necessarily needs to meet his end at a specific time.

Here's what I think on how Thrawn fits into it. I think the character wasn't mentioned in the first Aftermath book because it was written well in advance of the decision to actually reintroduce him, and I think he wasn't mentioned in Life Debt because they knew it would be published before Celebration and the actual announcement of his return. Now that the cat's out of the bag, so to speak, they finally pulled the trigger and mentioned that he was involved behind the scenes with Palpatine.

I think Rebels season 4 ends with the Battle of Scarif and that it will be the final season for that show. After that perhaps we'll get a novel or two from Zahn dealing with Thrawn's conquests in the Unknown Regions, establishing the Imperial outposts that the First Order will eventually settle and use as the foundations for their hermit kingdom. I believe we'll also get this Post-RotJ series, maybe set around 5 years later, and that it will feature Thrawn's return from the Unknown Regions and he'll be one of the villains for a few seasons before meeting fate, maybe 20 years before the ST era.

I think that Dave Filoni has shown that he's not the kind of creator to get rid of his characters until he's gotten the most from them, as we've seen with Ahsoka and especially Maul. Thrawn's one of those characters that has no real baggage whilst also having a lot of recognition and name value, so they'll probably keep him in their pocket for a while.

I'm not stating this as absolute fact or anything, but this is my opinion (my 200 credits, if you will ;) )on where they're headed with the character.

No it's all just speculation, I'm doing the same. I do agree Dave likes to keep characters around, but usually ones he creates. Maul was an exception but lets not lie the character was really nothing in TPM he gave him actual "character".

I do think as well Rebels Season 4 will be the final one, I think it may go a little beyond the Battle of Scariff but not too far. I don't know why but I think it will.

I admit I'm shocked they are not using Thrawn more in Rebels, I felt he's been somewhat under cut this season. But I just have this feeling he will not be in the sequel cartoons, Dave has gotten a lot of guff of keeping characters around a lot, and they may want to focus on ones that revolve around Snoke, etc.

I'm also gunning for a post-OT era show. Much of the "dark times" between the PT and OT has been covered in Rebels and the comics and books have been digging deep into the Galactic Civil War timeframe. There's a huge swath of story potential in the thirty years leading up to Episode VII that is still largely mysterious. By the time this show debuts Episode VIII will already be out and certain questions will probably have clarity. It's then that the background to it all can be explored.

No it's all just speculation, I'm doing the same. I do agree Dave likes to keep characters around, but usually ones he creates. Maul was an exception but lets not lie the character was really nothing in TPM he gave him actual "character".

I do think as well Rebels Season 4 will be the final one, I think it may go a little beyond the Battle of Scariff but not too far. I don't know why but I think it will.

I admit I'm shocked they are not using Thrawn more in Rebels, I felt he's been somewhat under cut this season. But I just have this feeling he will not be in the sequel cartoons, Dave has gotten a lot of guff of keeping characters around a lot, and they may want to focus on ones that revolve around Snoke, etc.

Yeah he's been very sparingly used, that's partially why I'm thinking he'll be in the later cartoons, in the sense that his appearance in Rebels is more of an introduction to the character for later use than anything. He's one of those villains that doesn't screw around (for lack of a better term) with the greater tapestry too much, in terms of the Force or the Jedi legacy, so I think he'd be one of the villains in an ensemble series that would cater more towards Leia and Han's plots while Luke (and his students?) deals with something heavier and more mystical.

Which makes me wonder, where does Ezra fit into this whole thing? He absolutely can't be a Jedi, nor can he really become a Sith and I'm pretty sure Kanan's not long for the world. Does he turn evil? Does he die? Does he leave it all behind to become a farmer or something? It's a character whose placement and role within the greater struggle of the Light and the Dark, and Luke's saga that I can't really be sure of.

It's possible that Thrawn is on Palpatine's super star destroyer, The Eclipse, which he left in the Unknown Regions. At the end of Empires End,
Grand Admiral Rae Sloane discovered the Eclipse in the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, and Commandant Brendol Hux, his son, and Sloane are going to claim it. Makes sense that Palpatine would have Thrawn commanding the Eclipse.

I wouldnt mind seeing Temmin Wexley in the show. I just discovered that this guy...

16f2363938014f7d4c8c163523d19cf6.jpg

...from The Force Awakens is Temmin! I completely missed that fact. So since he is in TFA and the new film trilogy itd be cool to see some of what he got up to in the time between Aftermath: Empire's End and TFA. I'd love to see him meeting and working with Poe.

Last edited:
I'd be totally down for The Adventures of Young Poe and Friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"