Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Rebels' started by Solidus, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvolo Registered

Is there a canon explanation for what happened to all the clones inbetween ROTS and Rebels? I still don't think there is any good reason for the Empire to stop using Clones. They are more dedicated and can be genetically programmed with subconscious orders that can't be disobeyed (Order 66). They can go from an infant to adult in half the time and they live to fight. And a clone army isn't dependent on recruitment nor conscription. I just can't see Sidious ditching his clones no matter how prejudiced he is against non-humans.

2. James Built from Lego

I'm not sure why the phased out making Clones, but as I remember from the old-canon, the bulk of the current Clones were transitioned into regular Storm Trooper rotation. I recall a comic from some years ago where a group of Storm Troopers on a mission were led by an older Clone.

I feel like we'll be seeing a Clone or two show up in Rebels somewhere down the line, perhaps like that one episode of TCW where that Clone was a farmer with a family. Some of the Clones who were closer to the Jedi, I could see maybe leaving, going their own way, racked by the guilt of gunning down their friends.

Still, I can't really think of any good reason why Palpatine would cease producing Clones altogether.

3. Great Mind(s) Broken

There needs to be a flaw in their genes or the technology gets destroyed .

4. Marvolo Registered

Even if Jango's clones were defective Palpatine could have just got another template, and started over. And to destroy the tech the whole Kaminoan race and planet would have to be wiped out and thats assuming Palpatine wasnt smart enough to have backups of their research and procedures and tech.

5. Great Mind(s) Broken

Hmm ok I think the only reason why they're saying there's no more clones is because what would be the point of calling it the clone wars if there's still clones fighting in the new war?

So maybe Palpatine would rather stroke his ego by having loyal volunteers die for him rather than clones.

6. Marvolo Registered

Palpatine is an egotist for sure, but he is a pragmatist and highly calculating. He wouldnt give up the advantages of a clone army for a subpar conscripted/volunteer army that requires more resources and time and maintenance unless he had no other choice but to do so. Its something that definitely needs to be addressed cause its a bit of a hole in the canon. Just a passing mention at least would be nice.

7. mr. peasant Registered

It could simply be cheaper. Why spend all that time, money and resources growing a vat of people in a lab when you could instead grab some randomer off the street, hand him a gun and send him to boot camp for six months?

8. James Built from Lego

I just finished Out of Darkness -it was great! Very Pitch Black, as Hunter mentioned. Lots of nice little hints to bigger things, especially Hera's promise that they won't always be fighting alone. I really like the idea that they're a kind of 'cell' of a much larger organization.

I'd be happy with that explanation. The Empire, big though it is, doesn't have unlimited resources. Perhaps Clones were just too expensive.

#983 James, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  9. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Looks like the group is part of a large organization and only Kanan and Hera know it.

Nice that we're knowing more about Sabine and why she left the Imperial Academy. Just wish we had the same about Hera.

10. Marvolo Registered

Does anyone else find it odd that they are staying on Ezra's planet? They've gotten in so much trouble on that planet that they should high tailed it out a that system three episodes ago yet every episode software are seems to contain at least one scene on that planet.

11. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/27/star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-on-kanan-as-a-flawed-jedi-master

New episode "Empire Day" was great, and it's only the first part of a larger story
    as it ends with a "to be continued..." in the middle of battle where the Rodian who has finally regained his composure said something about knowing what happened to Ezra's parents.

Ranking the episodes so far:

A-Tier -> Spark of Rebellion, Rise of the Old Masters, Breaking Ranks, Empire Day
    B-Tier -> Droids In Distress, Out of Darkness
    C-Tier -> Fighter Flight

12. Marvolo Registered

Hmmm not pleased about this show staying tethered to Lothal. Not after TCW spanned the galaxy. I wonder if this is actually a budget thing. It's cheaper if they don't have to animate a new world every episode. And I don't buy the logic of them remaining on one planet. A galaxy or a small underdeveloped planet with a tiny population...which offers more places to hide and evade? That's right, the galaxy does. Not even the Rebels at the height of the War stayed on one planet for long. The one time they did they had Vader drop in on them. And the fact that people on Lothal know Ezra well is even less reason to remain there. Like Hera said, the Empire can make anyone talk. So there hiding spots on the planet would be razed fairly quickly.

Right now I'm willing to give the show some slack, cause the Specters seem to still be low level Rebels and I don't know the extent of their network, allies, and hiding spots, but they better be done with Lothal by the season finale or it makes the Inquisitor look entirely too incompetent, and Specter 1-6 entirely too lucky.

#987 Marvolo, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Star Wars - Rebels Recon #6: Inside "Out of Darkness"

14. James Built from Lego

It's early days yet, I wouldn't worry too much.

Personally, it makes sense. If Kanan and crew are part of something larger, and there is trouble in the Lothal System, it seems logical to me that whoever's calling the shots would keep certain crews/cells in one general location. Until they need to, why move them? They have plenty of work to do in that area of the galaxy, they're familiar with it by now, they can gain the support of the people, gain allies. I mean, they're gaining ground against The Empire, it'd be kind of pointless for them to abandon the area unless something really, really important came up elsewhere.

It could also be a budget thing, but it still makes sense story-wise, I think.

15. Great Mind(s) Broken

I agree that the rebellion is early as opposed to the OT where they're a serious problem for the Empire. It's actually more realistic that they're not all over the place yet. Plus they're not evading the Empire like the Alliance in the OT, they're trying to hit them any way they can. So it makes sense they're staying in an area where they have connections. I'm sure they'll abandon it soon, it's part of the first story arc.

16. Lobo Liv is Life

Empire day was fantastic.

17. Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Am I the only one who thinks Tarkin should have been one of the main bad guys on the show?

18. Solidus Knights of Ren

...the show is only a few episodes in. I'm sure he will turn up. But it's nice to have a new main baddie.

19. NoBozos Strigoi...!!

My daughter is 8 and we watch it together. glad they have 2 good strong female characters on here. Love the use of the tie fighters on the show. So far so good

20. Hunter Rider Ronin

Enjoyed Empire Day, it was cool seeing TIE pilots in the field and The Inquisitor's helmet and custom TIE Fighter looked cool.

It was also interesting to see Kallus and The Inquisitor working together without a clear indication of who had the higher position in the Empire.

21. James Built from Lego

I agree! Inquisitor is very cool, Jason Isaacs is excellent. That helmet was pretty darn awesome.

Is 'Empire Day' something that's appeared previously, or is that unique to Rebels? I really like the idea, and all the shameless propaganda, forcing people to applause for Palpatine, etc.

22. ares834 Vader's Fist

It was in the old EU. Originating, I think, from the RotS novelization.

Anyway, great episode, in fact the best yet. Loved that the Imperial March is an in-universe song for the Empire. And one of the best pilots in the Imperial navy being a baron is such a tease. :p

23. Wheels Groovy

Empire Day was an old British holiday.

24. James Built from Lego

Thanks!

I noticed the parade music too, that was great! I hope we get to see that baron show off his skills some time.

25. Agent Orange Registered

I read something recently about how Rex and the 501st Legion remain in action following the Clone Wars and are re-branded "Vader's Fist." So basically, they remain fiercely loyal to Anakin. I'd like to see that expanded upon in Rebels. We were all attached to those Clones in "Clone Wars" so it would be interesting to see them again as Stormtroopers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.