"Shadow and Bone" series in the works from Netflix

I haven't finished watching this yet so there may potentially be spoilers for the season in here (just a possible forewarning)

Finished it last night, enjoyed it but I don't care for Mal or that subplot with not 'Ygritte' and not 'Jon Snow'.

Finished it last night, enjoyed it but I don't care for Mal or that subplot with not 'Ygritte' and not 'Jon Snow'.
Nina and Matthias? They will become more involved and important to the Crows side of the plot if/when they get around to adapting the actual Six of Crows storyline (what we've gotten so far of the Crows, Nina and Matthias aside, is prequel stuff mostly created for Netflix). The backstory they showed for those two in this is pretty much pulled directly from the books (I think the main difference being the location where Nina is taken is a different location in the book) - just in the books it's a backstory we're told about well after it happened. I liked that for this (because the timeline can match up) they were able to show us instead of just tell us about it later.

Thank you, I have been considering picking up the books and reading from where season 1 ended.

Looks pretty interesting so far.

Thank you, I have been considering picking up the books and reading from where season 1 ended.
Season 1 ended pretty much right along with the end of Book 1 of the Grisha trilogy (so the book Shadow and Bone) so if you want to start reading where it left off you can probably go ahead and start with book 2 Siege and Storm

Rest of the books in the universe are as follows (and this is in case any other non book readers are wondering)

Grishaverse trilogy book 3: Ruin and Rising

Crows Duology (picks up 2 years after the end of Ruin and Rising)
Book 1: Six of Crows
Book 2: Crooked Kingdom

Scars Duology (picks up 1 year after Crooked Kingdom)
Book 1: King of Scars
Book 2: Rule of Wolves (I still need to read this one, it just came out - but I kind of feel like I need to do a reread of the entire universe/reaquaint myself with what's going on)

On episode 2, what is up with these Finnish first names popping up in HBO shows like His Dark Materials (I know it's BBC too) and this (Pekka Rollins)? :funny:

On episode 2, what is up with these Finnish first names popping up in HBO shows like His Dark Materials (I know it's BBC too) and this (Pekka Rollins)? :funny:
Pekka Rollins is a character from the books (and has been quite the source of much antagonism for Kaz if the series didn't make it clear - there is a history there that will hopefully get delved into later). As for how the author, Leigh, came up with the name? She pulled from a variety of locations in building her grishaverse world. The country of Ravka is primarily based on Tsarist Russia, Scandinavia as a loose inspiration for northern country of Fjerda, China and Mongolia as inspiration for southern Shu Han. Kerch (where Pekka and the Crows are based, in it's city of Ketterdam) was inspired by the Dutch Republic of the 18th century.

Pekka Rollins is a character from the books (and has been quite the source of much antagonism for Kaz if the series didn't make it clear - there is a history there that will hopefully get delved into later). As for how the author, Leigh, came up with the name? She pulled from a variety of locations in building her grishaverse world. The country of Ravka is primarily based on Tsarist Russia, Scandinavia as a loose inspiration for northern country of Fjerda, China and Mongolia as inspiration for southern Shu Han. Kerch (where Pekka and the Crows are based, in it's city of Ketterdam) was inspired by the Dutch Republic of the 18th century.

Pekka is a very common name for males in Finland. His Dark Materials had plenty of Finnish names and a scene where a British actress fails miserably trying to speak Finnish after a real Finnish actor has said his lines.

our Jesper everyone. There was an article the other day I read that indicated, due to the hardwork Kit put in on the gun tricks, scenes that they had originally thought they would need to use a hand double for Jesper they ended up not needing to (or at least, not as much as they had originally planned) because Kit had become proficient enough that they could film him actually doing the trick work

Last edited:
He's hella good at that. Very impressive

i like when actors go the extra mile for their parts :up:

Just finished this a few hours ago and I'mma need that second and third season stat. Haven't been so into fantasy in a while, not since GOT, and not even seen/read Witcher yet. With S&B being more on the YA side of things, plus so very tropey, it isn't usually my thing, but I loved it anyway, the characters especially (heart-eyes forever for Jesper). Wondering if I should skip the waiting and read the books ahead of the seasons, though probably won't. Juggling too many other books already as it is, and the show's got this je ne sais quoi I don't want the books upsetting.

Good to hear from you guys. I was waiting till a few of you had finished and given verdicts. Too much to do right now but this will get on this next! (only seen first episode to date)

Just finished this a few hours ago and I'mma need that second and third season stat. Haven't been so into fantasy in a while, not since GOT, and not even seen/read Witcher yet. With S&B being more on the YA side of things, plus so very tropey, it isn't usually my thing, but I loved it anyway, the characters especially (heart-eyes forever for Jesper). Wondering if I should skip the waiting and read the books ahead of the seasons, though probably won't. Juggling too many other books already as it is, and the show's got this je ne sais quoi I don't want the books upsetting.

as someone who has read all the books in the universe, it's hard to say. the show does definitely have it's own vibe, and it definitely borrows way more from the first book of Shadow and Bone than it does Six of Crows. I've read the Crows duology at least twice, maybe 3 times and really enjoy them on their own. I've only read the original trilogy once, but i am considering going back to it once i finish the show. i'm on ep 6 right now. (ive been tempted to start a thread for the series in Books & Music. might not be a bad idea now)
i will say though that one of my favorite characters shows up in book 2, so i'm having high hopes for them. Don't let me down Netflix. I feel like the show definitely fleshed out some characters better, especially Mal. And someone who i really did not like from the Grisha Trilogy ended up being one of my favorite characters by the end of Rule of Wolves so take that how you will lol.

side note: The books, especially Six of Crows and King of Scars duologies are told through multiple POVs and I really feel like the author handles each of their personalities so well. There are some great scenes in the books that i'm really hoping make it to screen.

Good to hear from you guys. I was waiting till a few of you had finished and given verdicts. Too much to do right now but this will get on this next! (only seen first episode to date)

Hope you enjoy it buddy, I did find that it copied Game of Thrones a few times but I guess that's natural in fantasy adaptations. Overall though really enjoyed it and binged most of it in a day

Hope you enjoy it buddy, I did find that it copied Game of Thrones a few times but I guess that's natural in fantasy adaptations. Overall though really enjoyed it and binged most of it in a day
Thanks for the info mate. Was glad to see you liked it and that helped convince me to prioritise this one. :up:

Finished the final episode yesterday and I can't wait for season 2. The whole world and characters cleared up the longer it went and I began liking the characters more and more. Never seen Jessie Mei Li before and I think we'll be seeing a lot more of her in the future in various projects. But the Crows, man. You could see from that blooper video how well they clicked off-camera as well.

Last edited:
Just saw the first episode and really liked it. I wasn’t too keen on the trailers but the episode kept me hooked throughout. I like Alina and Mal. And the Crows too. Oh and I really liked the build-up to the crossing scene. That was pretty good. Going to watch the next episode later today :up:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"