Shane Black Directing Predator Sequel! - Part 2

Very interested in what the hell happened with all the reshoots. The film is obviously a wreck but enough of Black's style came through to make me enjoy it overall. Surprised by the vitriol aimed at it, especially the humourous tone. People take Predator too seriously.

Overall it's about on par with the other sequels. No-one has ever replicated the first.

I will probably wait until home release before checking this one out. I really wanna see a leaked clip though of the ending. Because it sounds so ****ing ridiculous and I need to see it.

For as much talk as this movie gets about expanding the lore, I feel like Predator 2 actually did far more of that and in far more logical ways than this movie does.

It's Black weakest movie, but despite a lot of its problems, it pretty much sits with the other Predator sequels. Good but it doesn't have its equivalent of Aliens. But I can say this is sort of like Aliens in which it does try to take the DNA of the original film and take it in a new direction. But this is definitely the most interesting out of the sequels. Conceptually, it still does what I would want a sequel to these things to do. Is it true Black and the studio clashed? If so, I didn't know this, because it explains a lot. It seems like the studio panicked at Black's original vision (what the hell do you expect when you hire the guy who made Iron Man 3?) and tried to mitigate its full potential. Which is pulpy action fun, like Iron Man 3. Except unlike this, Iron Man 3 feels like a Marvel movie yet still feels like a bonafide Shane Black film. And it felt like a Shane Black movie with Predators in it. Which I am A-okay with. But here's the problem. Both of these elements aren't as well executed for what they are and feel watered down. This felt like a compromised Shane Black movie. And some of the Predator elements felt more generic, including the action.

This has uneven direction where it's directed it's sometimes trying to be a darker thriller type way instead of just going for it. This movie's biggest problem it should have gone farther with its vision and been even more comic book-y and over the top. More extreme Predator gore, more of that whip smart subversive Black humor. And maybe this was originally there, but the studio panicked and didn't see what they traditionally see with what a Predator movie should be (which is a bull**** way to think about these things anyway) and wanted to make it feel more like a Predator movie. Whether true or not, the movie as is appears to take away from the Black sensibilities, whether you like them or not, whether you think they should be in a Predator movie, would have made the film on its own terms at least work better.

Conceptually, I loved how
they pushed a lot of their ideas like the Predator Killer (Loved this. I would love to see a sequel where McKenna battles a Predator in that suit and whatever cool drama can be mined from that; you can't keep using regular person fights Predator) humans using the Predator tech and the Predator coming to Earth as a good guy to warn them and help them with a worse Predator out there out to take over their planet. But when it came to stuff like the Super Predator or some of the action, it was just standard. Nothing particularly clever where you have a bigger, badder version of these smart killers, and yet they just stomp around and kill. It would have been a lot more interesting if these were smarter and McKenna and the Loonies, the mentally unstable motley crew have to outwit this thing, making the stakes even higher and more dire, especially compared to the first movie where even those macho strong men were outmatched be even a regular Predator.

Another huge problem with this movie is the editing. It felt like it was going too fast. It needed to breathe. That first act felt chopped up. It evens out in act two which is the strongest part, but this movie felt like it was cut up by a studio. Bits of that classic Black felt rushed here. I think it's safe to say Black knows how to set something up and pay it off. He knows what he wants the audience to see to hit what it needs to hit. So why was it weird when a joke
like Olivia Munn who shot herself in the foot with a tranquilizer fell off the bus after McKenna said he'd catch her miss the mark? Same reason why when Sterling K Brown died it took a few seconds after to process what happened.
****ing bad editing.

I enjoyed all the characters and of course when it's the human stuff, Black's stuff shines, but even then it feels held back. Pretty much all of his ideas that make Black Black are all there. They just at times feel lost in the shuffle of what feels like a compromised movie. Even the kid was disappointing. I thought when they did the whole chess scene it might have been set up for in the climax when the kid actually helps them out where he figures out the Super Predator is a tactician and the closest thing humans can associate it with is like a master chess player. Then he helps his father and The Loonies take on the Super Predator like a master chess match. I can't fault the film for not doing that, but my point is, there was nothing really clever in the execution of the action. It's all pretty straight forward and Black usually is the master at stuff like this.

This is a movie that a lot of people will hate. I knew right when the movie is over. But even if it was great, I don't think a lot would have liked the approach. Mainly because it's not how a Predator movie should be and the to be desired execution helps that. I think people no matter the quality people focus on tangible details. Tone, plot holes, how this doesn't make sense, how the Predator dog
being friends with them is cheesy (Wow! You mean it's a character?)
, how the Predators aren't as "badass", how it's not a dark and intense like the original movie was (because the original film is sooo serious with its over the top one liners and characters; that movie's story was essentially a slasher movie with muscular men and executed in a classier way). Essentially problems Cinema Sins and Everything Wrong With fetishizes. The reception to a movie like this seems like another representation of an age where the internet has made things worse. Where everything is accelerated and we focus more on a culture that makes snap judgments. It's mean spirited, where it's less about discourse of the movie and more about who can make the most snarky comment and nitpick. Like how The Last Jedi's hate got blown way out of proportion. The point is, for better or for worse, people look at the wrong things. When it doesn't go the way they want it instead of judging it on its own terms, it's easier to just call it terrible than to actually think about it.

I'm realizing more and more people don't want to see new things. They want the same things because there's an over reverence and projection of their favorite old movies. In this case, they just want to see a bunch of guys being hunted down in a forest by a Predator. These are not excuses for this movie's problems, and if this movie was a lot better, stuff like this would be so inflamed, but what would remain, like Iron Man 3 or Star Wars or just how people judge movies in general, people get caught up on tangible details. This is a bigger problem. If fans had their way, we would just see movies like Rogue One. Fan films that just recycle what they already see. This flawed ambition is better than a by the numbers Predator movie.

One thing about this movie, is that at least it's getting people talking and will remember it. In a perfect world, I'd want this to be a lot better than it was and I won't lower my standards for this movie to make excuses. I'm more than willing to admit this didn't deliver like it could have. But I'll take this movie any day than a placating Predator movie with Vikings in it.

Oh, I liked the movie.

7/10

Last edited:
I will probably wait until home release before checking this one out. I really wanna see a leaked clip though of the ending. Because it sounds so ****ing ridiculous and I need to see it.
I think I saw the entire sequence on youtube a couple of hours ago, but the audio quality was garbage and the video was very choppy. You could still see what was going on though, if it's still up.

For as much talk as this movie gets about expanding the lore, I feel like Predator 2 actually did far more of that and in far more logical ways than this movie does.
I'd agree. While I don't think some of the ideas introduced in this film are necessarily bad, they don't make any sense.

Like why would they want to study human biology to use for their hybrids? From what we know their base form is far superior to that of a human. Dutch won by outsmarting the Predator with cave men methods, and Harrington won by sheer will and use of a Predator weapon. Neither of these wins are dependent on our biological make up. That'd be like human trying to turn themself into a mouse.

I don’t understand all the hate for TP.

The actual Predators weren’t funny, the crew was. I don’t understand why they are not allowed to or supposed to be funny.

I thought the Super Predator was badass probably the most frightening Predator ever witnessed on the big screen.

I also liked the Predator Killer suit. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to try that suit out? Looks somewhat overpowered so I’m not sure how the Predators will counter that. I’m sure if there is a sequel we will find out...

Sure, I don’t get the motive behind giving it to humanity. But the potential is there for a Predators + Terrans vs. Aliens StarCraft-sequel mashup.

Of all the Predator films, the only ones I could bear to watch multiple times are the first two, only the alien-predato fight scene highlights (nothing involving humans especially the disgusting scene where the aliens take over the nursery) of AvP and AvP:R. TP I can add to that list. Predators was mediocre and forgettable.

See I actually agree with this. The cast isn't really the problem, but the writing definitely is. The chemistry was there and some of the back and forth did manage to get a chuckle or two out of me from time to time, but once this movie gets to the second half that's when the jokes just stop being funny and the movie really becomes a mess IMO. Sterling K. Brown and his group of military frat boys were some of the most cartoony, human villains I have ever seen. None of that stuff was good at all.
That's where I'm at with it. It plain old stops being funny in the 2nd half, and not as a tonal choice. The jokes are still there but they aren't funny anymore, and the action and the intensity aren't there to compensate.

Yeah, the battle with the Super Predator was lackluster. Even when
he dies it felt underwhelming.

Does anyone know what was reshot? I'm just seeing the final scene was changed. But if the entire third act was re-shot what was it?

If the current estimate of 24 million holds,TP will go down in history as the lowest box office debut
That is released on over 4000 screens.

So, I went in this with the "safest" of expectations, and, yeah, this is quite a feeble movie. While the Predators themselves are never a dull treat(loved Super Predator) and the gore is well put to use, the rest is just very weak material for the Predator franchise, imo. Was there heavy studio interference here? Such talent with Black & Dekker(;)), this is just baffling. Whatever a follow up holds, it better be quite an overhaul from this. I thought Predators brought a very solid route on to where to go with the franchise. This seemed very going backwards to me, in more ways than one.

Last edited:
I wanna see a fight between the super preds from this film and Predators now.

I wanna see a fight between the super preds from this film and Predators now.
That's a thought! Maybe also get Robert Rodriguez in charge again, as he seemed to have a much better grasp of the essence of Predator than the people involved in TP.

I think I saw the entire sequence on youtube a couple of hours ago, but the audio quality was garbage and the video was very choppy. You could still see what was going on though, if it's still up.

I'd agree. While I don't think some of the ideas introduced in this film are necessarily bad, they don't make any sense.

Like why would they want to study human biology to use for their hybrids? From what we know their base form is far superior to that of a human. Dutch won by outsmarting the Predator with cave men methods, and Harrington won by sheer will and use of a Predator weapon. Neither of these wins are dependent on our biological make up. That'd be like human trying to turn themself into a mouse.

Yep just saw the sequence on YouTube myself

No duh. We just don't need a thirtieth variation on "it's cinematic holocaust" every third post over multple pages. Point's driven home.

So don't post opinions on a MESSAGE board? Funny, I thought that's why were all here

A lot of fans are going to blame Fox for why this is a cluster****, but based on what I've read none of Shane Black's ideas sounded good in the first place.

So does anyone that’s seen this already think they would’ve enjoyed the original version more before the reshoots? Or would the third act still not be all that great. Cause it seems the first half of the movie is at least some what enjoyable.

No. For me this movie was crap from start to finish more or less.

Mark Kermode, while not loving the original, hit on how this film is just tonally all over the place and out of whack. I agree. It's very tonally uneven and wasn't able to find that good balance. I'm just not sure if a director's cut really fixes that. I also just don't really love any of the characters either.

The kid is very problematic to me.

The movie glosses over how he just wastes that kid who picked on him and that whole house. And then the movie totally ignores this later. I hate when movies do things like that. I know the kid is on the spectrum at all...but he's really in no way bothered or affected by what just happened at all?

Yes, I would agree that Predator 2 is a better example of how to expand the lore without ****ting on what was established in the previous film. It doesn't really contradict anything.

Even Predators I think kind of offers something to the lore without destroying it with nonsense.

I also liked the Predator Killer suit. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to try that suit out?
If you start to think stuff like this is normal and ok (because MCU is full of that or whatever gave you that impression), then the next thing that can appear in a Predator sequel is elves, dragons and pointy hat wizards throwing fireballs.

Yeah, the battle with the Super Predator was lackluster. Even when
he dies it felt underwhelming.
Does anyone know what was reshot? I'm just seeing the final scene was changed. But if the entire third act was re-shot what was it?
Yea, the finale was a huge letdown. Felt like not enough care was put into it. Felt like rehoots...

Even Predators I think kind of offers something to the lore without destroying it with nonsense.
I did not like there are more Predator species with different heads trying to kill each other. What was point of that? Felt like a 10 years old kid came with that idea... "and they will be bigger... and have even weirder heads... and will fight the original badasses and be better... and..."

The DNA idea was present in Predators but they decided to scrap it.
"Unlike other Predators, who hunt for honor and for trophies, in the script the Super Predators hunt for DNA to become more powerful hunters. This was later dropped from the film, but the Super Predators still hunt them to improve themselves. They also hunt for sport"
Super Predator

I'm not sure about it either... Feels like another "dunno what to do with it" idea. Alien franchise did some weird DNA s**t, AvP had some hybrids, "yaaay, let's have like an alien, but with Predator head on it... wooow, sounds awesome", said another 10 years old...

I'd love to see someone with a firm grasp of the original material, making something down to earth again, instead of some hybrid-something shenanigans and MCU magic armor suits and stuff.

I don't even know whether the idea of super-high-tech aliens who can travel through universe just to fight lower-tech species using wrist blades is even slightly sensible. Like is FTL travel so easy you can do hunting safari one-man trips? Wouldn't a civilization like that actually do some DNA s**t to themselves when they are so high-tech they can travel this galaxy? DNA manipulation is way easier than traveling faster than light, isn't it... Heh, I don't even know...

Predators problem was more a case of bad execution. The only concept I recall not really being fond of was the super Predators versus the Predator. There were some good concepts, but I didn't like how the film explored them.

The ultimate predator in this dumb in concept and execution.

If he can deflect bullets like the hulk then why does he waste time hunting them at the end instead of straight up walking up to each of them one by one?

Then somehow at the end boyd can just put 4 bullets in its head?

The ending was like a carbon copy of independence day 2 where a alien tries to give us a weapon to take down the other bad aliens and both endings were laughably bad.

I liked this alot at first but now that I have had 2 days to process it the dumber Im realizing once you get into the story overall.

I’ve been saying that Predator 2 and Predators are very good sequels. I enjoy them a lot. They are not the original film. But they’re worthy sequels in my eyes and I’m able to watch the trilogy no problem and enjoy all 3.

It seems now with this film they might just take things in such a different direction that it really isn’t working for most people. While some might not mind it.

But as of now I’m content with the trilogy I have to enjoy for myself. And down the line I’ll check this out but going in not expecting anything that really contributes to the 3 films and universe we currently have.

Yay the Predator is back and i couldnt wai....ahh who am i kidding it's time to put this franchise to bed

PRAISE: Some great SFX.Some funny one liners,some good kills,fast paced.The bigger Predator providing some cool body slams.

PROBLEMS:I really couldnt attach myself to any of the characters they were amusing at first but their antics ran out of steam fast.I guess i was supposed to accept the choices they made because i think 4 or 5 of them were mentally unstable or something(????)
Plot holes bigger than the Grand Canyon.I should have known what i was in store for when even the Predator got in on the antics...i mean...WTF?
I like some blended in humor in an action or sci fi flick but everything about this movie was a joke.
By the time the last 20 minutes were playing out i was so bored i was more interested in why a family of 5 kept getting out of their seats and leaving the theatre about 4 times.Maybe something more interesting was going on in the lobby.

One of the silliest sci fi films ever !! Wastes the talents of all involved.The only way i think this can be enjoyed if you go in thinking this is a comedy

SHANE BLACK WHAT HAPPENED????

Scale of 1-10 a 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"