Star Trek Sequel - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call Ra's al Ghul a weak villain by any definition.

I am a fan of starting with a great villain (see X-Men). Or setting him up. I can appreciate the later if done right (see the Amazing Spider-man).

Nero was a weak villain. But the story held up because it was driven by Kirk and Spock, who were entertaining to watch.

Though Nero was a bit odd as an antagonist. He mostly interacted with the deuteragonist (Spock), not the protagonist (though they did have a brief brawl).

Especially odd since, Nero killed Kirk's father. I was surprised they didn't have a "this is for my father" moment. That's one cliché they avoided.

In Star Trek 2009 when Spock Prime saves Kirk from the ice creature in the cave. I'm sort of surprised he does not make a comment about the young Kirk having blue eyes instead of hazel.

I wouldn't call Ra's al Ghul a weak villain by any definition.

Don't get me wrong, I liked him a lot. But compare him to Joker, 2Face or Bane and you can see not much gravity was given to his character in BB alone. Once the trilogy was complete you could see that he wa one of the most major players in the Nolanverse, but in terms of development and screentime in BB, he was weak to me.

Nero was a weak villain. But the story held up because it was driven by Kirk and Spock, who were entertaining to watch.

Precisely.

Though Nero was a bit odd as an antagonist. He mostly interacted with the deuteragonist (Spock), not the protagonist (though they did have a brief brawl).

Especially odd since, Nero killed Kirk's father. I was surprised they didn't have a "this is for my father" moment. That's one cliché they avoided.

Agreed on everything here. And I liked tat they didn't make it about Kirk's revenge for his father, but about Kirk having no guiding light to shape him into the man of the original universe, having him become that through trials and friendship. Brilliant.

In Star Trek 2009 when Spock Prime saves Kirk from the ice creature in the cave. I'm sort of surprised he does not make a comment about the young Kirk having blue eyes instead of hazel.

Probably 'cause Spock Prime's not a purist.

Ah, I see. Still, it's one of those things that constitute tiny retcons.

I'm not exactly a purist when it comes to Star Trek. It just seemed like a Spock thing to do to make that observation.

It's a movie though. For all intentions nu-kirk and prime-kirk were and are the same person despite different actors.

Did anyone comment on war machine when his whole face changed between films? or Rachel dawes?

The only reason im sure they had to make sure nu-spock was pretty damn close looking to prime spock was they actually come face to face to meet each other... although to be fair current shatner's pretty different looking from his old incarnate.

It's a movie though. For all intentions nu-kirk and prime-kirk were and are the same person despite different actors.

Did anyone comment on war machine when his whole face changed between films? or Rachel dawes?

The only reason im sure they had to make sure nu-spock was pretty damn close looking to prime spock was they actually come face to face to meet each other... although to be fair current shatner's pretty different looking from his old incarnate.

ST:TMP Kirk looks very different from TOS Kirk. ST:TMP Kirk (and in the movies following) looks more like TJ Hooker with his dark hair which is suddenly more bouffant than in TOS (it being a wig of course). And now current Shatner looks more like Denny Crane from Boston Legal (although in ST: Generations he's looking a bit like that too).

Chris Pine looks like none of them.

Although there are not the largest of physical similarities between Karl Urban and a younger DeForest Kelley, was anyone disappointed in the characterisation that Karl did?

I for one, think he nailed it.

Chris Pine did a pretty good job too. What did make me laugh out loud at the cinema, was hearing Pine`s "Bones!" delivery right at the end of the movie. Sounded just like Shatner...
Mind you, I thought the same thing when Quinto said "Fascinating." as he was rotating in the chair of TOS Spock`s ship. It was an almost pitch perfect of Leonard Nimoy.

I thought Karl Urban did a great job. Yes, he doesn't quite look like DeForest, but it was like he was channelling his personality so that you could almost look past the physical appearance and still see the Dr McCoy everyone knew.

I would've liked a few Shatnerisms from Chris Pine, even though he wanted to make his performance different. It wouldn't need to be as hammy but a toned down version. I still would like to see certain things such as a few pauses in his speech, maybe a fist bang on the table, and Kirk circling his opponents when in conversational confrontation with them.

Yeah, I'd have to say Urban and Pine were the best. All Quinto needs to do is act even more apathetic and he's 100% there. Although the ST09 script gave us a slightly different characterization of young Spock, so Quinto nailed it either way.

ST:TMP Kirk looks very different from TOS Kirk. ST:TMP Kirk (and in the movies following) looks more like TJ Hooker with his dark hair which is suddenly more bouffant than in TOS (it being a wig of course). And now current Shatner looks more like Denny Crane from Boston Legal (although in ST: Generations he's looking a bit like that too).

Chris Pine looks like none of them.

The Evolution of Kirk:

chris_pine_empire_start.jpg

JaniceKirk.jpg

shatj.jpg

shatner-kirk-death-generations.jpg

For kicks how they thought kirk would age:
old-captain-kirk.JPG

c790184cd762e58277b54899c6f3184b.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the 3rd, 5th and 6th pics. Or am I the only one?

Can't see the third pic.

I think Pine maybe needed to slick his hair a bit more. Scott Bakula managed to achieve a similar kind of look with his hair for that Mirror Universe two-part episode of ST: Enterprise, so how difficult can it be for Pine?

They obviously didn't want him to do it. Maybe in ST3.

I thought Karl Urban did a great job. Yes, he doesn't quite look like DeForest, but it was like he was channelling his personality so that you could almost look past the physical appearance and still see the Dr McCoy everyone knew.

I would've liked a few Shatnerisms from Chris Pine, even though he wanted to make his performance different. It wouldn't need to be as hammy but a toned down version. I still would like to see certain things such as a few pauses in his speech, maybe a fist bang on the table, and Kirk circling his opponents when in conversational confrontation with them.

Never been a big Trek fan, but I thought when Pine said Spock, when in the old Spock's ship and young Spock was talking about their odds of survival I thought he sound very much like Shatner.

Yeah that was definitely a Shatner callout. Pine said so himself. also the kobayashi meru sequence there was some Shatner there too.

Pine had a lot of inner Shatner moments. The way he called out "Bones" at the end and crossing his legs when sitting in the Captain's chair. The way he walked out of the academy down the steps with his hands held up the way Shatner would always do walking down stairs.

Also when his tongue and hands were swollen and he was pleading that "WOMBULANS!" were behind the attacks seemed very Shatner-like.

Pine had a lot of inner Shatner moments. The way he called out "Bones" at the end and crossing his legs when sitting in the Captain's chair. The way he walked out of the academy down the steps with his hands held up the way Shatner would always do walking down stairs.

Yeah, I thought he seemed pretty Shatner-y in the movie as well. This is just the beginning, so I imagine he'll develop more of those traits as he ages.

[YT]gAKiWvjfCiQ[/YT]

Man are they luck Spock wasn't half-Klingon.

:funny:

"Nero, my lord, we have the coordinates for the first of Ambassador Spock's homeworlds. It is here where we can attack the heart of the Klingon Empire."

"Klingon Emp ... umm, you know what? I think I'm good, revenge is overrated anyway. Who's up for a game of Connect Four?"

"Nero, my lord, we have the coordinates for the first of Ambassador Spock's homeworlds. It is here where we can attack the heart of the Klingon Empire."

"Klingon Emp ... umm, you know what? I think I'm good, revenge is overrated anyway. Who's up for a game of Connect Four?"

Have to say I was disappointed they didn't put in the deleted scene where the Narada gets captured by the Klingons. Nero didn't even put up a fight. He can take on Earth and Vulcan, but Klingons? Hell no.

He was biding his time. After all, he had 25 years to kill... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"