Star Trek Sequel - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Trek Sequel on the Fast Track

Source: Variety
March 31, 2009

As Paramount Pictures is moving forward with a sequel to its May 8 release, Star Trek, and has hired Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to write the screenplay.

Variety says J.J. Abrams, who directed and produced the new film, is on board to produce the follow-up alongside his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk. No decision has been made yet on whether Abrams will direct the sequel.

Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof also are receiving producing credit on the sequel.

The story is still in the embryonic stage, but the trio are aiming to deliver their script to the Melrose studio by Christmas for what would likely be a summer 2011 release.

"Obviously we discussed ideas, but we are waiting to see how audiences respond next month," Kurtzman said. "With a franchise rebirth, the first movie has to be about origin. But with a second, you have the opportunity to explore incredibly exciting things. We'll be ambitious about what we'll do."

Though Orci and Kurtzman have worked together as a writing team for more than 12 years, the duo has worked with Lindelof on only one screenplay - DreamWorks' Cowboys & Aliens, which they are currently writing together.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=54093
If ST is as good as it looks, I'm all for a sequel.

So what you're saying in essence is that Abrams and all other Trek directors/writers since TWOK have been incapable of creating a great villain, so they should go ahead and rehash Khan again...??? :huh:

Nice vote of confidence in Abrams, there. Like Jamie and Redhawk have been saying: if this is supposed to be *new* ground, and Abrams has "carte blanche" to take Trek's original crew into entirely new directions, then take them to new frontiers, by god. Hell, introduce a brand spankin' new race of baddies for the Federation to war against.

Will these new baddies have elongated deformed foreheads or spikey ears AND elongated deformed foreheads?

If JJ, Orci, Kurtzman, and Lindelof have a good story to tell with Khan as the baddie. I'm interested.

With Khan possibly involved this film might actually wind up being better than the first film.

I still think Man Of Steel will make more money overall and be more successful than this Trek sequel, even with Khan possibly being involved.

Will these new baddies have elongated deformed foreheads or spikey ears AND elongated deformed foreheads?

If JJ, Orci, Kurtzman, and Lindelof have a good story to tell with Khan as the baddie. I'm interested.

With Khan possibly involved this film might actually wind up being better than the first film.

I still think Man Of Steel will make more money overall and be more successful than this Trek sequel, even with Khan possibly being involved.

Or, it might be worse than the first film. With critics, fans, and general audiences alike justifiably saying that Hollywood has run out of new ideas, and re-hashing Khan is proof of that.

Besides, why does Trek need a "good villain" anyway? Star Trek in all its incarnations has never relied solely on man vs. man conflicts. A lot of the best stories didn't even involve a "villain" per se. Fans have always been more interested in the crew(s) than antagonists.

I'm not convinced that there are a lot of great Khan stories to be told. Space Seed is a pretty solid episode, but nobody believes that it's a contender for the best episode of the series. Even as great as TWoK is, arguably the main villains of the story are age, regret, and death and Khan's just a vehicle to highlight those themes. And a warning against wasting second chances.

I'm not saying that Khan is a bad choice, but I think a little skepticism that Khan can be just thrown in as a villain and he'll automatically be great is healthy. Lots of great villains aren't recurring villains and aren't designed to be recurring villains.

Besides, why does Trek need a "good villain" anyway? Star Trek in all its incarnations has never relied solely on man vs. man conflicts. A lot of the best stories didn't even involve a "villain" per se. Fans have always been more interested in the crew(s) than antagonists.

In the old days, that was true. Nowadays, I'm not sure if the mainstream (lamestream) audience will buy a story that's close to pure science fiction.

We live in the era of the comic book movie, which has its good side and bad side. The bad side is that the audience expectation now is that any movie with spaceships, action, etc. must have a supervillain in a costume.

Last edited:
Please don't be so dismissive of the mainstream. That's pretty snobbish if you ask me. They're the people who make these things get sequels in the first place. Just because stuff appeals to them that you don't happen to agree with doesn't make them the "Lamestream."

Besides, why does Trek need a "good villain" anyway? Star Trek in all its incarnations has never relied solely on man vs. man conflicts. A lot of the best stories didn't even involve a "villain"
Where No Man Has Gone Before (Gary Mitchell)
The Corbomite Maneuver (Balok)
Balance Of Terror (Mark Lenards Romulan)
Dagger Of the Mind (Dr. Adams)
Arena (The Gorn Captain)
Space Seed (Khan)
Errand Of Mercy (Kor)

And this is the first season only. (And I know I forgot one or two episodes) Some of those are considered to be some of the best Trek episodes of all time.

What are you talking about?

Where No Man Has Gone Before (Gary Mitchell)
The Corbomite Maneuver (Balok)
Balance Of Terror (Mark Lenards Romulan)
Dagger Of the Mind (Dr. Adams)
Arena (The Gorn Captain)
Space Seed (Khan)
Errand Of Mercy (Kor)

And this is the first season only. (And I know I forgot one or two episodes) Some of those are considered to be some of the best Trek episodes of all time.

What are you talking about?

I am talking about "Trek has never relied solely on man vs. man conflicts." You *did* read that part, right....? :yay:

The Doomsday Machine; The Trouble With Tribbles; The City on the Edge of Forever; The Devil in the Dark; The Tholian Web; plenty more that would qualify as man vs. monster, man. vs. machine, man vs. nature, man vs. time, etc.

Please don't be so dismissive of the mainstream. That's pretty snobbish if you ask me. They're the people who make these things get sequels in the first place. Just because stuff appeals to them that you don't happen to agree with doesn't make them the "Lamestream."

I'll be as "snobbish" as I want, thank you very much, particularly in a world that contains the Michael Bay Transformers franchise. Or in a world that contains Shia Laboeuf in general.

I am talking about "Trek has never relied solely on man vs. man conflicts." You *did* read that part, right....? :yay:

The Doomsday Machine; The Trouble With Tribbles; The City on the Edge of Forever; The Devil in the Dark; The Tholian Web; plenty more that would qualify as man vs. monster, man. vs. machine, man vs. nature, man vs. time, etc.
no. of course not. I focused on "A lot of the best stories didn't even involve a "villain"" ... In most of them there was a villain. The Klingons in Tribbles, the Horta in Devil (even though it was just a misunderstood mother), the Tholians in Tholian Web... without antagonists most of those episodes wouldn't have worked.

And I was just thinking of him too...

http://collider.com/star-trek-2-villain-edgar-ramirez-khan/131002/

Édgar Ramírez Is the Front-Runner to Play Villain in STAR TREK 2; Jordi Mollà also Being Considered

by Matt Goldberg [SIZE=-2]Posted: December 7th, 2011 at 2:25 pm[/SIZE]

edgar-ramirez-jordi-molla-slice.jpg
It’s going to be tough for me to find a way past Khan being the villain in J.J. Abrams‘ Star Trek 2 (unconfirmed at this point, but looking likelier by the day), and having a talented actor like Benicio Del Toro pass on the movie doesn’t make matters any better. However, another excellent choice is now in the mix. Variety reports that Carlos star Édgar Ramírez is now the frontrunner to play the villain, with Jordi Mollà (the bad guy from Bad Boys 2) also in the mix. So you have three Hispanic actors connected to a villain role that no one will officially say is Khan even though Khan was originally played by a Hispanic actor (Ricardo Montalban). Sigh.

Hit the jump for more. Alice Eve and Peter Weller have already signed on to join the returning cast. Star Trek 2 opens in 3D on May 17, 2013.

Mollà struck me as a little cartoonish in Bad Boys 2 (then again, so does everything in Bad Boys 2), but Ramírez is the next great acting phenom that Hollywood is shamefully overlooking. His performance in Carlos is unforgettable, and he deserves to star in a major movie like Star Trek 2. Unfortunately, if he gets the role it will always be contrasted against Montalban’s portrayal (presuming the villain is Khan and it probably is). Variety says Ramírez will test for the role via Skype either later today or early tomorrow, and Abrams expects to make a decision before the weekend. Scheduling may be an issue for Ramírez, and Abrams reportedly won’t consider any actor who might be unavailable. Filming is set to take place from January through June.

Ramírez will next be seen playing Ares in the Clash of the Titans sequel, Wrath of the Titans. Mollà recently co-starred in the Zoe Saldana action flick Colombiana.

Out of those two I would want Jordi Mollà.

Ramirez could be a great choice. Dunno about Mollà, though.

The mainstream is the reason that stuff like Two and a Half Men is one of the most popular shows on television and are why the Kardashians are considered "important".

Pink Ranger can call them whatever he wants. :o

I called this one also!

JJ is being smart on this by reintroducing Khan to the masses in this alternate Trek universe of his.

He is also being smart by trying to snag a talent like Edgar Ramirez. I like Mollas' work, but he has already played plenty of baddies. I'm hoping Edgar gets the role and I'm confident he will. I think he would play well opposite Pine and Quinto.

Shame Del Toro turned it down. He would've been awesome!

I do hope that those aren't the only names being considered if it is Khan. Only considering Latin actors to portray a Sikh is only because of the past casting.

I do hope that those aren't the only names being considered if it is Khan. Only considering Latin actors to portray a Sikh is only because of the past casting.

Such is the power of Groupthink and Momentum Ignorance. Welcome to Hollywood.

I doubt they would limit the choices to only one ethnicity. They should be looking for someone with a similar look as Montalban. He doesn't have a look that you can necessarily pin down, which makes sense given that he was genetically engineered, not a regular person born in India.

The mainstream is the reason that stuff like Two and a Half Men is one of the most popular shows on television and are why the Kardashians are considered "important".

Pink Ranger can call them whatever he wants. :o

I agree on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe