Shang Chi’s costume

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
which outfit should they go for?

The second costume is the one they'll probably go with.

Yeah that’s definitely the most marketable and functional for a martial artist. I like 4 because you can incorporate it into different fashions but it might be a bit boring especially for like, toy sales etc

2 is definitely the most Suphero looking outfit, everything else feels more like normal clothes.

2-4 is cool with me. If it's 2, I hope he has boots than those yellow shoes though

I want a variation on 1, which is the classic costume. But couldn't you have picked a better picture of it that actually shows it, instead of only the bottom half?

shangchi-726x400.jpg

730287.jpg
666299._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Combine that red and gold colour scheme with some boots and something more practical to wear, and he would have something similar to the classic look.

Now if you thought about Bruce Lee's yellow and black tracksuit from Game of Death, you might think it's just a tracksuit. But it's iconic. More iconic than these most of these choices here. However, Shang Chi has his own iconic costume, or his own version of the Game of Death suit. It's his red and gold classic outfit.

If this were Netflix though, we'd have to wait until the last 15 minutes of episode 13 for him to even wear something red, and it would probably be the lining of a hoodie. :o

Last edited:
Yeah 2 is more likely
Shang-Chi_%28Modern%29.png

Just dont like the high collar though and I wish they could find a way to make the classic costume work.

Also wouldnt mind a redesign like this one below
Shangchi.jpg

I enjoy the classic look, but the beauty of this character is we are talking about less of a costume and more of an outfit. As such, we could see several variations show up in a film.

Should Simu Liu keep his regular hairstyle that he has now or should he grow it long like the classic Shang Chi/ Bruce Lee look?

I hope he does grow it (or that they at least give him a wig). That will transform his look into Shang Chi, otherwise at the moment he just looks like Simu Liu. But I definitely think he should grow it rather than use a wig, because the wig will be harder to work with and keep in place during action sequences.

None of them. Go with normal stylish clothes. I'm hoping more the look Bond than Bruce Lee (Enter the Dragon).

Whatever his costume, I want him to have and use, at some point, metal bracers. That way, he can do the bullet deflection trick that he's regularly done in the comics, all Wonder Woman style.

Whatever his costume, I want him to have and use, at some point, metal bracers. That way, he can do the bullet deflection trick that he's regularly done in the comics, all Wonder Woman style.
Yeah, this is important for when he fights large numbers of gun-toting enemies. And very cool too. :up:

I'm thinking that for this film they use the classic outfit, save the souped-up Bruce Lee tracksuit outfit for if/when he joins the new Avengers team. I feel like it would offer plenty of opportunity for someone (maybe Peter Parker) to make a reference to Bruce Lee for Shang Chi to lampshade.

Last edited:
I think he needs to change that hairstyle otherwise he just looks like Simu Liu in a bodysuit. He needs to grow his hair out longer and have it cover his forehead.

Should Simu Liu keep his regular hairstyle that he has now or should he grow it long like the classic Shang Chi/ Bruce Lee look?

I hope he does grow it (or that they at least give him a wig). That will transform his look into Shang Chi, otherwise at the moment he just looks like Simu Liu. But I definitely think he should grow it rather than use a wig, because the wig will be harder to work with and keep in place during action sequences.

I have a feeling that Shang Chi will go through like a rogue state where he gets sick of his father and disappears somewhere just to chill out and live a duty free lifestyle. But then someone like nick fury calls him back to work and eventually he finds out his old man is a super villain. So they can have long haired Shang and short haired Shang

Obviously he's not going to have a costume that really resembles a superhero costume and that honestly makes me kind of sad. But whatever he ends up with I hope he has a recognizeable look that people can easily identify as the Shang Chi look.

his bodiy proportion is not good. I don'y think he will look good on comicbook outfit.
that ig photo.. no.

Do you need tech to be a martial artist? I would rather see marvel’s answer to Bond. Maybe a gadget or two but not like, a tech suit or anything

God, I managed to avoid that bit until recent research. Setting everything else aside: no, I do not buy for a moment that Tony Stark could build tech that draws from *chi*. That's just way too far outside his wheelhouse.

Eh, he fights a guy who uses chi on a routine basis, and he helped the Nightstalkers create their ghostbuster gun. I don't have a problem with Stark being able to affect chi with tech. He's a comicbook supergenius, after all.

Charlie Wen posted this on Instagram. He says the design is not created for Marvel Studios. But will the final suit look like this?

Can't say I'm a huge fan. The suit looks like kind of generic for the MCU and the headband doesn't fit with the hairstyle (classic Shang had longer hair).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"