Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Box-Office Numbers

Not necessarily. When a movie is released in cinemas, usually in the first week of release studios get 90% of the profit, second week 80%, third 70% and they are the weeks that make the vast majority of the money.

Is there a source on that? I'd think it still has a long way of breaking even, considering marketing and shared profits.

I read that the production budget is around $150M and marketing and other costs are around $100-$150M so probably around $300M total. WW gross has already surpassed that amount, so it’s already making a profit as a whole. Now how much of that goes to Disney vs the theaters is another thing. Maybe in the end, Disney will pocket more from Black Widow because they don’t have to share as much with premium access.

https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-movie-budget-cost-mcu-comparison/amp/

You said yourself that only part of the money goes to a film studio, especially from foreign countries. The budget is said to be somewhere between 150 and 200 million. If you have another 100-150 million for marketing, like you mentioned, the movie needs to make a bad place of a lot more to actually break even and start making profit for Disney. Just for reference, last year's Tenet had a 200 million budget, ended up making 367 million worldwide and WB still lost around 100 million on that.

Tenet needed to make $450M to break even, I think Shang-Chi needs considerably less. Even if it is, $350M, they’re so close to it anyway give or take another weekend. Anything above that will be shared profit between the studio and theaters. Might not be much, but it’s still something giving that we’re still in the pandemic.

WB is going ahead with a third Fantastic Beasts movie, even though the film did mediocre business in the states.

Who does Disney split proceeds from D+ with?

True. I think in the end, it’s going to be very close to see which one is more profitable. Shang-Chi already broke even and is now making money for Disney. Disney will collect 60% of box office gross (and 80% of Disney PA gross). So, in the end, Disney might get more money from Black Widow but that movie had a higher budget than Shang-Chi so it could all even out anyway.

It's not going to Premier Access.

I still think based on the numbers that it makes far more sense for Shang Chi to break even at around 400-450 million, but we'll find out eventually.
Who does Disney split proceeds from D+ with?
Other platform prividers like Apple TV+ and Amazon. They get around 15% of the profits.

Thanks. They are projecting 10B in revenue for 2021; up from 4.5B last year. That company is a money making machine.

I still think based on the numbers that it makes far more sense for Shang Chi to break even at around 400-450 million, but we'll find out eventually.

Other platform prividers like Apple TV+ and Amazon. They get around 15% of the profits.
So that counts Sony's PlayStation? As I always see D+ shows advertised in the media section.

WB is going ahead with a third Fantastic Beasts movie, even though the film did mediocre business in the states.
WB seems to be the most generous studio out there. I still remember movies like Green Lantern and Jupiter Rising got a budget of 200 million. The Suicide Squad also got a big budget.

Them offering their 2021 movie slate to HBO MaX without an additional charge doesn't surprise me.

I just wonder how it would affect them long term.

As for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings breaking even, I won't be surprised if they don't get that at the boX office. Thats where VOD, physical media, streaming, cable rights, sponsorships, merchandise come into play.

I just wonder how it would affect them long term.
I mean, day-and-date strategy was the tip of the iceberg of AT&T's incompetence that lead to the WB buyout by Discovery. I'd say it has already affected them in the long term.

I mean, day-and-date strategy was the tip of the iceberg of AT&T's incompetence that lead to the WB buyout by Discovery. I'd say it has already affected them in the long term.
I was thinking of their franchises and blockbusters. I wonder if this going to affect them in a major way or there won't be much change in the neXt 3 years.

Today Shang-Chi will pass Black Widow as the highest grossing film of 2021, domestically.

Other than tracking the BO numbers for SC, it's a pretty much a Dead Zone for movies and discussion right now; although people seem to have a good amount of interest in Dune. This is a good thing for Shang-Chi's box office and I'm glad, but not surprised, the movie is having such good holds. That, however, likely ends this week.

Other than tracking the BO numbers for SC, it's a pretty much a Dead Zone for movies and discussion right now; although people seem to have a good amount of interest in Dune. This is a good thing for Shang-Chi's box office and I'm glad, but not surprised, the movie is having such good holds. That, however, likely ends this week.
For the rest of the year, I just need to see Eternals do well. Spider-Man No Way Home is probably going to be the highest grossing film of that year.

Anyway, cases from where I live are now finally slowing down. So i might get to see one of these films in the big screen if theaters are finallyopen.

For the rest of the year, I just need to see Eternals do well. Spider-Man No Way Home is probably going to be the highest grossing film of that year.

Anyway, cases from where I live are now finally slowing down. So i might get to see one of these films in the big screen, if theaters are finally open.
Fingers Crossed For You, My Friend.

Anyway, cases from where I live are now finally slowing down. So i might get to see one of these films in the big screen if theaters are finallyopen.

Contrary to what some others think, I think The Eternals is going to do just fine (relatively speaking) as long as the reviews are strong. I think SC primed the pump for Marvel and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see SC type of numbers; although I can definitely see it not quite getting there. I think having a couple big names will help some and I think the casting will appeal to a large swath of people. If COVID cases are on the decline (and that "sort of" appears to be the case in the US), that will help encourage people to attend. On top of that, Disney didn't make the ridiculous decision they made with BW on D+.

I wouldn't worry about the B.O for this movie. Remember the Phase one B.O's for Thor and Captain America? $449.3 and $370.6 worldwide respectively and they still got sequels.

$13,031,411 for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on the weekend. Actuals came in a little lower due to a steep Sunday drop. Hopefully Monday experiences a softer than normal drop to balance it out but at this point the numbers are so small that I'm splitting hairs. Today will be the first day under $1M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"