Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Box-Office Numbers

Other than tracking the BO numbers for SC, it's a pretty much a Dead Zone for movies and discussion right now; although people seem to have a good amount of interest in Dune. This is a good thing for Shang-Chi's box office and I'm glad, but not surprised, the movie is having such good holds. That, however, likely ends this week.

It will end this week, but largely irrelevant since the film has made most of its money at this point. And the film far surpassed all expectations and will be crossing $200 million. Even before the pandemic, movies like this tend to be front-loaded and usually have only 1-2 weekends on top before petering out. The good news for Shang-Chi is that wasn't the case, and it will continue making some decent money throughout October. Everything else at this point is gravy on top.

Busy October ahead. This is there the numbers for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings become reduced to a trickle but regardless it's been a fantastic run! It's running about 6% ahead of Ant-Man and the Wasp 27 days through both their releases. At that rate SC would finish with just under $230M domestic.

Well at least it already outgrossed The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Thor Dark World in North America.;nd

When you look at all the factors surrounding its release, SC did extraordinarily well and I am particularly happy for the actors.

Roughly $6M for SC this weekend, so exactly the steeper drop that was expected against the opening weekend of Venom: Let There Be Carnage. Still a really strong Saturday increase but a soft initial Friday bump and a little bit of a harsh Sunday drop.

Ultimately, still on track for about $230M domestic total or so.

And it would outgross the 2nd Ant-Man movie soon. This movie performed well at the boX office given all the circumstances.

It looks like Shang-Chi has crossed the $400 million mark! It looks like the decision to go theatrical exclusive, instead of a hybrid release, really paid off.

Between more or less being proven wrong about the movie's release, and the whole "experiment" comment disaster, it's not looking too good for Chapek.

It looks like Shang-Chi has crossed the $400 million mark! It looks like the decision to go theatrical exclusive, instead of a hybrid release, really paid off.

Between more or less being proven wrong about the movie's release, and the whole "experiment" comment disaster, it's not looking too good for Chapek.

Yeah, but the REAL question is "Did it REALLY pay off for Disney?" They got a lot of BW revenue from the D+ release and the vast majority goes directly into their pocket. They don't have to pay the theater owners. I think its actually more complicated than that even. Without a healthy movie theater industry, studios risk having a revenue spigot damaged or shut off so they have to consider that also. I have no idea of how I would analyze this problem, but I'm sure Disney has people who are a lot smarter than I am. :D

I know we’re in the dregs of the run but still, dropping 500 theaters and still holding like this is impressive.

Yeah, but the REAL question is "Did it REALLY pay off for Disney?" They got a lot of BW revenue from the D+ release and the vast majority goes directly into their pocket. They don't have to pay the theater owners. I think its actually more complicated than that even. Without a healthy movie theater industry, studios risk having a revenue spigot damaged or shut off so they have to consider that also. I have no idea of how I would analyze this problem, but I'm sure Disney has people who are a lot smarter than I am. :D

I need more data to make me believe it pays Disney more.

Because if it does, then why didn't they put it Premier Access after the 45 day period? Why are not doing Eternals on Premier Access?

Yeah if it was such a money making machine, why don't give Eternals and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings a Disney+ Premiere Access release as well.

Chapek needs to be ousted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"