Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Box-Office Numbers

I agree but I don't think that is the only question that matters imo. Because If the movie is of high quality, then that will help its box office. And based on the reactions, it seems like that is definitely the case.

The reactions from today being what they are. I have seen people who were sitting on the fence, about going to see the movie. Now decide they are going to go and watch it despite covid.

Because the reactions to the films action and how good the movie is in general. Has made some people not want to miss out, and has some people questioning if it's really that good, its now given those people the incentive to go and see it for themselves.

That could have only happened if the reactions. Were as good as they are, and the action was highlighted with a significant amount of praise, that's what I meant.

And with that said I still think there is a chance, it's ow projection can still hit a higher number than 60 million.

Especially since more reactions to the movie, are geared to come out tomorrow and on the 25th in cinemacon.

I was going back and forth between going to see it in theaters and then waiting for it on Disney +... After the reactions started rolling in, I grabbed tickets at our nearest IMAX for a 2D show in Saturday the 4th.

The reactions really sealed it for me on this one. This is the first time I am going to the movies since Covid. Just decided to double mask up, not buy any concessions, and ring my proof of vaccine in case anyone asks.

I brought my tickets yesterday and it seems like AMC is doing a sale of getting 25% off a showtime before 5pm. Snatched up 3 Dolby tickets for 30 dollars. That includes the AMC 5 dollar rewards. Not bad. Dolby has become my go to theater experience for the last couple of years now.

I can see this film doing good on the premium screens since imax, Dolby and 3D seem to be cheaper since the pandemic...at least in my area.

This movie is a huge crowdpleaser so it should have great WOM. I hope it does overperform and make a ton of money too because it deserves it and its the most fun I've had with a MCU film in a very long time.

I wish this came out pre covid. With the great reactions from fans and critics, it would have made close to a billion.

I wish this came out pre covid. With the great reactions from fans and critics, it would have made close to a billion.
So not gonna lie, I initially balked when I saw some users saying this could have made 800million to 1 billion Pre-Covid. As much as I was looking forward to the movie, the trailers didn't seem to wow most people like other movies did. Which is why I thought maybe it would end up doing Strange or Ant-Man numbers But after seeing the movie, I could definitely see this movie doing those numbers in a Pre-Covid world. And it's dang shame it won't.

But Im hoping this movie exceeds curent COVID expectations and I think word of mouth will help with that.

Free Guy getting an August release date in China bodes well for Shang-Chi getting one as well.

Weird that Free Guy and Luca were approved yet Black Widow isn't (looking at that Twitter account)... I'm skeptical that Shang-Chi will open there until its confirmed

Weird that Free Guy and Luca were approved yet Black Widow isn't (looking at that Twitter account)... I'm skeptical that Shang-Chi will open there until its confirmed

As I understand it, China was willing to release Black Widow in May but Disney pushed back the release to July and by then China was celebrating the 100th anniversary of the CCP which meant their movie theaters were playing only their own patriotic movies.

As I understand it, China was willing to release Black Widow in May but Disney pushed back the release to July and by then China was celebrating the 100th anniversary of the CCP which meant their movie theaters were playing only their own patriotic movies.
Are you implying that China doesn’t want to put Black Widow in theaters anymore?

Are you implying that China doesn’t want to put Black Widow in theaters anymore?

I have no idea if they still plan to release it there or not. All I'm saying is that it was just bad timing that lead to BW not being released in China the same time as everywhere else.

I have no idea if they still plan to release it there or not. All I'm saying is that it was just bad timing that lead to BW not being released in China the same time as everywhere else.
Its weird. I feel like it would have been confirmed since its an older movie and its Marvel. There was a time when China used to get Hollywood movies really late. For eXample, X-Men The Last Stand was released in China in September instead of May.

Not an exciting update, but it is staying on pace with his previous prediction of 60+ opening weekend.

Maybe Shang Chi can benefit from the current NWH hype and propel it to 80+ 4 day weekend.

It should benefit from the trailer releases of Eternals and Spider-Man No Way Home.

While I’m sure it’s domestic opening weekend will be quite huge, I’m rather curious to see it’s holdovers. I predict this movie will get a A Cinemascore, and have impressively small drop-offs around 45-50%.

I want this movie to be the first pandemic film to have a hundred million dollar domestic opening weekend. If it does get there(which it likely won’t) it will send a strong signal to other studios like Sony that there is indeed some life left in the box office for event films this year and wouldn’t it be beautifully poetic in a time when Asians are facing amplified racism in the US thanks to pandemic that the first movie to make a hundred million opening weekend is a Asian lead movie? I want that to happen. Even if it doesn’t make a hundred million, I want this movie to be the highest grossing non-Spider-Man pandemic movie out there.

Last edited:
Yeah 100+ over the first 3 days or even 4 days with the Labor Day is extremely unlikely going by the current data. But a different and very significant milestone that Shang Chi could achieve is the first to 200 million domestically.

Other than a strong start it also having no comp at all in September from rival blockbusters. And it will probably have better legs than BW because of no PA and the fact that it's probably more of a fun movie compared to BW which had a much more serious and dour tone, so more rewatchable.

That last part is just my guess though. We'll see how true it is by late September.

And a bad decision by Disney not to take the bird in the hand like F9 did. Disney has released other movies early before.

John Campea predicts $45 million as it's a new property, not great marketing, no established MCU characters in significant roles while Robert Meyer Burnett predicted $50 million.

John Campea predicts $45 million as it's a new property, not great marketing, no established MCU characters in significant roles while Robert Meyer Burnett predicted $50 million.

Based on the pre-sales we've been seeing I think they're really low-balling it. Over at BOT I see talk of 65-70M 3-day and 75-80M 4-day weekend.

The reviews look really strong. If it can get anywhere near BW numbers, that's huge. I think anything over $60M (3 day) would be a big win. If it's as good as they're saying, it should also hold well. I'm definitely more excited about seeing it now than I was.

BTW, the last time I listened to Campea was.....uh.....never. I think high 50s to low 60s may be in the cards and hope I'm on the low side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"