Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Box-Office Numbers

As optimistic as I am about the opening weekend, I still find that final prediction by Charlie hard to accept until I see it for myself. Until then I'm sticking with low 60's 3 days/mid 70's 4 days. Which is still far higher than all the projections by major media sites. But of course it'd be even better if Charlie's estimates turn out to be accurate.

I’m wondering if this will be pretty front loaded. I was looking at the seating chart for my local theater and Thursday and Friday night seemed to be pretty full (not sold out though). But by Saturday it looked pretty empty. Not the most scientific look but just something I noticed.

I’m wondering if this will be pretty front loaded. I was looking at the seating chart for my local theater and Thursday and Friday night seemed to be pretty full (not sold out though). But by Saturday it looked pretty empty. Not the most scientific look but just something I noticed.
I think that's usually the case with these things. You have the big fans who are excited to see it opening night(s) and then families who'll wait until the weekend and find the time to go.

Although it seems most movies coming out these days are front-loaded with big drops the second weekend.

What happened with Black Widow is honestly a pretty rare thing. It didn't actually have a front loaded first weekend. It had a front loaded first day plus Thursday previews. No other MCU film nor even other movies from this year acted like that.

Still it's understandable to be afraid that the same could happen to Shang Chi. But hopefully it behaves more like a normal film. Which would mean 60+ over 3 days and 70+ over 4.

What happened with Black Widow is honestly a pretty rare thing. It didn't actually have a front loaded first weekend. It had a front loaded first day plus Thursday previews. No other MCU film nor even other movies from this year acted like that.

Still it's understandable to be afraid that the same could happen to Shang Chi. But hopefully it behaves more like a normal film. Which would mean 60+ over 3 days and 70+ over 4.
FiNGERS CROSSED!

It might be, BUT it's got a couple of things working in its favor. First off, it isn't getting a D+ release for 45 days and, secondly, it has very little competition in the upcoming weeks. I have a feeling the box office numbers are going to beat expectations.

So it is on pace for 70 mil? That would be excellent if it does that or better. But the 2nd weekend drop will really be what is key.

‘Shang-Chi’ Box Office Set For Record Labor Day Weekend – Deadline

At this early point in time we can tell you that Disney/Marvel’s Destin Daniel Cretton directed movie Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings is looking to do $25M today, including last night’s $8.8M previews. That would be the third-highest opening day during the Covid era after Black Widow‘s $39.5M, and F9‘s $29.9M.

Shang-Chi‘s 3-day is around $60M with the potential to do mid-to-high $60M range over 4-days.

So its safe to say now it would at least hit 9 figures at North America by the end of its run.

I could be wrong but I think because covid changed things, the box office will be more front loaded moving forward. The general audience seems to be staying home while a chunk of the hardcore fans are rushing to Thursday and Friday showings. The US box office was already becoming front loaded but covid seemed to have sped things up.

Free Guy and Jungle Cruise weren't that front loaded and still earned good legs.

True. The general audience seems to stay home opening weekend but they will come out in later weeks. The best thing this movie has going for itself is the whole month is basically empty

Yes, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings has the entire month for itself. Though I hope more non mcu films (that are scheduled for November) are delayed so it would benefit Eternals.

If Shang Chi makes $60 million, it will be interesting to see what John Campea has to say as he's been saying $45 million. That's no indication of how he feels about the movie, as he's watched it three times and loved it all three times. Now he did say that he hopes it will make more that $45 million and if it does, that's great, but he's sticking to $45 million even after the Thursday numbers.

I could be wrong but I think because covid changed things, the box office will be more front loaded moving forward. The general audience seems to be staying home while a chunk of the hardcore fans are rushing to Thursday and Friday showings. The US box office was already becoming front loaded but covid seemed to have sped things up.
Yes, makes sense that if the hardcore are more likely to go now that films will be more front-loaded.

Have to think all the storms in the Southeast and East Coast are going to really affect its numbers. It may push some of the people who were going to watch it this week to next weekend or not at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"