Shang - Chi

Let's face it, Shang-Chi is a bit of a stereotype. Sadly he also happens to be Marvel's most prominent Asian male superhero.

If Marvel were just interested in adapting Shang-Chi as a stereotypical kung-fu character, they wouldn't have hired Destin. Seems clear to me that they intend to put a lot more thought into the character and his story.

Kung Fu and mysticism like Taoism are a part of Asian culture. It's not like Asian cinema doesn't feature either of those things.

The portrayal of the martial arts and mysticism is the issue rather than the subjects.

Black Panther had African tribes, mysticism and African cultural influences without reducing people to stereotypes. I'm sure Shang Chi will be able to achieve the same things with its world and characters.

Shang Chi is mostly a stereotype in the comics but that is down to him primarily being written by middle aged western white dudes whose only exposure to Asian culture was probably kung fu movies. You can tell when things feel inauthentic.
Sorry my bad.

If they wanted an asian director they should have gone for one rather than an american. Not like there aren't plenty of directors from china. He seems like a good director though so look forward to it.
They clearly wanted a Asian American director and no doubt the character will be viewed from a Asian American perspective like Black Panther was viewed from a African American one.

I can see them probably having Shang Chi grow up in America with his mother and his father be mostly absent (being told his busy doing business deals in Asia or something) and then obviously Shang finding out his father is supervillain.

what Black Panther is/was for Black People this one will be for Asian People around the world
It doesn't work that way. Black people, more precisely African Americans, with some European Africans lost their ancestors culture and can't point to a specific linage for the most part, while the Asian population for the most part can point to their ancestral nation and its modern nation state. So a fictional Pan African crossroads nation of plains, mountain, river etc African folk can stand in for Blacks outside of Africa.

I do hope that Shang-Chi is much closer to Black Panther in quality, than Captain Marvel. . .

Also, I would note that for most of his recent history ( at least since the 90s IIRC ), Shang-Chi has not really been your rote kung fu cliche. I mean, he is a superhuman kung fu man, yes. . . but his primary theme and style is "spy movie". He's "What if Bruce Lee were James Bond?" That, I think, is sufficiently different and distinct enough to make for a solid movie basis going beyond cliches.

So, you have Shang Chi with his superhuman martial arts skills. . . but not taking on your standard evil kung fu masters or rival kung fu experts or whatnot, but superhero variations on Bond villains.

We already have a black Bond in Panther and a Bond Bond in Stark. Why do we need an Asian Bond? I don't think there's anything wrong with embracing the kung-fu origins of the character and facing him against enemies who are skilled in the martial arts, as long as the character is handled with dignity and respect. We could get some really cool fights that way. I also don't think there's anything wrong with some Bond-like qualities(sprawling nightclubs and dazzling fights with crazy weapons. Iconic villains and intimidating crime-bosses), but keep the martial arts. They shouldn't forget the importance of hand-to-hand combat or Shang-Chi's resourcefulness in his ability to use anything as a weapon. They handled the "anything's a weapon" aspect with Bullseye quite nicely in Daredevil's show. He felt dangerous. That's what I need for Shang.

And I do want Shang-Chi to be referred to as Master of the Martial Arts in the MCU. If Strange can get the title of Master of the Mystic Arts and Sorcerer Supreme, Shang-Chi deserves his own title. Let's respect the character's culture and embrace it, not run or hide from it.

Last edited:
They should embrace the character's culture, for sure, but there is quite a bit about the character and his origin/story that is problematic. It was very important that they found a writer/director who could delve deeper into the character, subverting some of the more offensive stereotypes.

It doesn't work that way. Black people, more precisely African Americans, with some European Africans lost their ancestors culture and can't point to a specific linage for the most part, while the Asian population for the most part can point to their ancestral nation and its modern nation state. So a fictional Pan African crossroads nation of plains, mountain, river etc African folk can stand in for Blacks outside of Africa.

I get your point but I don't think it's that deep in this case. There is a similarity in that the same way African Americans lack representation in the superhero genre, Asian Americans do as well. That's one of the reasons many were pushing for an Asian Iron Fist. And while I don't think Shang-Chi will have the same cultural impact as Black Panther, it will still be a big deal for many Asian Americans to have a mainstream Asian superhero.

Doctor Strange was wholly forgettable, one of the blandest movies in the MCU. So yes, lets hope this film has more in common with BP.

Shang-Chi- Henry Golding
Leiko Wu- Jing Tian
Jack Tarr- Jim Caviezel
Revanche Kwannon- Lucy Liu
Shen Kue- Ludi Lin
Zheng Zu- Donnie Yen
Brian Braddock- Dan Stevens

Wouldn’t it be fun if they actually cast Henry as a villain? Just to be different and mess with peoples expectations

Yeah but then Henry as Shang Chi makes the most sense

Henry is a very mediocre actor and worse, he has no charisma. I can't see him as Shang-Chi.

I said he was my choice for Zheng Zu (Shang Chi's father) in my post ;)

It was unlikely they would pick Gareth Evans since Marvel wanted a Asian director for the film.
If they get an Asian director, they better get his ass from somewhere in Asia to handle it...China, Hong Kong, South Korea...wherever if not...do what it takes to get Gareth Evans!

If they get an Asian director, they better get his ass from somewhere in Asia to handle it...China, Hong Kong, South Korea...wherever if not...do what it takes to get Gareth Evans!
They already hired a director

They should embrace the character's culture, for sure, but there is quite a bit about the character and his origin/story that is problematic. It was very important that they found a writer/director who could delve deeper into the character, subverting some of the more offensive stereotypes.

I get your point but I don't think it's that deep in this case. There is a similarity in that the same way African Americans lack representation in the superhero genre, Asian Americans do as well. That's one of the reasons many were pushing for an Asian Iron Fist. And while I don't think Shang-Chi will have the same cultural impact as Black Panther, it will still be a big deal for many Asian Americans to have a mainstream Asian superhero.

I didn't read any of the comics. What in your view would be problematic in a sterotypical sense?

Go with the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"