Shang - Chi

They probably want something different and not just go with bigger characters. Luke Cage, Daredevil and Iron Fist were pretty much wasted in the Netflix shows as those were just a dragging mess and they held back a lot in terms of embracing the look of the comics, and in terms of public recognition, those shows aren't as popular as the mcu films. So I'm glad Shang Chi is getting a shot in a live action film.

Why would they make it like Iron Fist in the MCU? He was critically panned and considered the weakest of the Netflix heroes. He barely had a costume and didn't really embrace all the martial arts until a little bit more in the second season. And Finn Jones wasn't great at fighting at all.

If anything, they need to look at things like Enter the Dragon, Mortal Kombat and the older classic Jackie Chan Kung Fu films (not so much his newer ones).
How about the Kung Fu Panda films?

Interesting but I wonder why they'll go for the street level hero. Are they green lighting this movie because of representation alone or because they find him a compelling enough character to bring to the big screen instead of a TV series on Disney+.This kind of reminds me of that Daredevil movie starring Ben Affleck, also a street level hero with martial arts ability. But I think we all can agree that Daredevil is much better as a TV series than a movie. .

Anyhow, I hope they go with a combination of more grounded stuff + a bit of fantastical elements to it. Like in the comics, following exposure to the cosmic radiation (maybe he came back from Thanos snap ?), Shang-Chi was able to create an unlimited number of duplicates of himself. That adds more of an interesting element to the character instead of just having chi. Also, I hope they don't make him weak minded like in the Iron Fist series.

One of my dream casting for the role of Shang Chi is Donnie Yen.

Too bad Donnie Yen has too much of a strong voice to kowtow to Marvel. Oh well

Interesting but I wonder why they'll go for the street level hero. Are they green lighting this movie because of representation alone or because they find him a compelling enough character to bring to the big screen instead of a TV series on Disney+.This kind of reminds me of that Daredevil movie starring Ben Affleck, also a street level hero with martial arts ability. But I think we all can agree that Daredevil is much better as a TV series than a movie. .

Anyhow, I hope they go with a combination of more grounded stuff + a bit of fantastical elements to it. Like in the comics, following exposure to the cosmic radiation (maybe he came back from Thanos snap ?), Shang-Chi was able to create an unlimited number of duplicates of himself. That adds more of an interesting element to the character instead of just having chi. Also, I hope they don't make him weak minded like in the Iron Fist series.

One of my dream casting for the role of Shang Chi is Donnie Yen.

Too bad Donnie Yen has too much of a strong voice to kowtow to Marvel. Oh well

I don't really think Donnie Yen suits Shang Chi anyway. He could play a villain though.

Also, I don't think being able to create doubles is the way to go. It takes away some of the suspense, because if he can just have multiple versions of himself, he can use them to fight crowds of people. You don't get to see one guy going up against dozens of people the way Bruce Lee would have in Enter the Dragon, and defeating them all.

If Shang Chi can create duplicates, then he can always resort to that and overpower people or outnumber them. There's no need even for a good Kung Fu fight when you can just beat someone by sheer force of numbers. I think that would be a mistake. Also, it would be too much of a special effect.

Fun fact about Donnie Yen, he can breakdance! Mismatched couples was probably the first film I've seen him in.

My pick for Shang Chi is Eddie Peng. Wanted him as Namor but since that isn't happening and this is being fast-tracked, I think he'd be the best fit. Has martial arts experience (real, chinese martial arts), is fluent in English, a MASSIVE star in China, and a great actor.
11558b88019cd41f26bba5257a57f76a.jpg

str2_mh_1308_beat_5cola.ashx

Also the crew behind the camera, including director, cinematographer, costume design, and ESPECIALLY choreographer have to have roots/experience in the chinese martial arts film industry. BOATLOADS of talent in the chinese industry, particularly from Hong Kong. The movie needs to be told from that perspective instead of the 'white American gaze'. Watch some HK martial arts films and you'll see what I mean. Dream Director for me would be Wong Kar-wai.

As others have said, I hope they are able to mobilize the big Chinese names in the industry to join the cast, ala Black Panther. Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, Chow Yun-fat, Sammo Hung should all have roles, even if just cameos/bit-parts.

I haven't seen him in anything.

Anyway, I agree that we should get all the big Chinese actors in this. It should be like Crazy Rich Asians with their all-Asian cast. Although I bet we would get a few Westerners still. As long as they aren't the POV characters or any kind of white saviour. No black saviours either. No black or white "sidekicks" like Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon. We don't need any of those to make it more palatable to western audiences.

It's a shame Marvel have already used up Gemma Chan in Captain Marvel, otherwise she could've been in this movie too.

Honestly, I don't think Marvel should look to CRA as a model for this film. The reason why CRA flopped in China is because the film did not represent Asia. There has been a lot of blowback against the film in Asia. Its been a massive success in America because its the first of its kind: Asian-American cast telling an Asian-American story. BUT there's a significant difference between Asian-American and Asian, and that did not translate well abroad in Asia. At the end of the day the film was perceived as a Hollywood movie told from American eyes. Thats why I hope Marvel has the foresight to bring on crew from the Asian film industry with experience in martial arts films to produce this movie. You can never represent a culture without living it.

I haven't seen him in anything.

Anyway, I agree that we should get all the big Chinese actors in this. It should be like Crazy Rich Asians with their all-Asian cast. Although I bet we would get a few Westerners still. As long as they aren't the POV characters or any kind of white saviour. No black saviours either. No black or white "sidekicks" like Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon. We don't need any of those to make it more palatable to western audiences.

It's a shame Marvel have already used up Gemma Chan in Captain Marvel, otherwise she could've been in this movie too.
I can't imagine they exclude any and all of his various white partners from this. If Ross made it into Black Panther, I guarantee you that we get one of Shang-Chi's "side kicks". It has nothing to do with being "palatable" and everything to do with just telling the story.

'Power Rangers' Star Ludi Lin Wants To Play Shang-Chi

According to new reports, Aquaman star Ludi Lin is an actor who wouldn't think twice about taking the role. Speaking with ScreenRant on the Aquaman press tour, Lin says it's "definitely something" he wants to do.

"It’s definitely something I want to do," Lin mentioned. "To do an Asian-centric superhero. To tell that story. I mean ideally, I’d like to design my own superhero, make my own creation. But I think the Marvel world is pretty incredible as well."

I could see him working well. He’s got buckets of charisma and a nice profile here and in the east

Honestly, I don't think Marvel should look to CRA as a model for this film. The reason why CRA flopped in China is because the film did not represent Asia. There has been a lot of blowback against the film in Asia. Its been a massive success in America because its the first of its kind: Asian-American cast telling an Asian-American story. BUT there's a significant difference between Asian-American and Asian, and that did not translate well abroad in Asia. At the end of the day the film was perceived as a Hollywood movie told from American eyes. Thats why I hope Marvel has the foresight to bring on crew from the Asian film industry with experience in martial arts films to produce this movie. You can never represent a culture without living it.
I think it was the subject matter that doomed the movie, prior to the release of the movie in China there were a number of high profile criminal cases of super rich Chinese celebrities getting caught evading taxes perhaps that had an impact.

I think it was the subject matter that doomed the movie, prior to the release of the movie in China there were a number of high profile criminal cases of super rich Chinese celebrities getting caught evading taxes perhaps that had an impact.

No idea if it had any impact or not , but I agree with what SyntaxError said. That movie was just kinda terrible in my opinion. Felt like watching how Chinese people are through the eyes of Americans and the rich in awe of even richer people. I don't know anything about African culture but at least to me Black Panther felt authentic, the actors behaved and sounded like they are from that region. This one had almost everyone talking like they were British or from the US or something. And if they are suppose to be a very traditional family in Singapore, then why are they Christians and not Buddhist? I think it bombed in China and other parts of Asia as well ( if I'm not mistaken? ) because the plot is just very shallow and just a bad and unauthentic representation of Chinese culture. And where are the Japanese , Koreans , Vietnamese etc ?

I hope they really get ambitious with the martial arts here so that it’s one of the best films of that type in a good while.

No idea if it had any impact or not , but I agree with what SyntaxError said. That movie was just kinda terrible in my opinion. Felt like watching how Chinese people are through the eyes of Americans and the rich in awe of even richer people. I don't know anything about African culture but at least to me Black Panther felt authentic, the actors behaved and sounded like they are from that region. This one had almost everyone talking like they were British or from the US or something. And if they are suppose to be a very traditional family in Singapore, then why are they Christians and not Buddhist? I think it bombed in China and other parts of Asia as well ( if I'm not mistaken? ) because the plot is just very shallow and just a bad and unauthentic representation of Chinese culture. And where are the Japanese , Koreans , Vietnamese etc ?

I don't think the title of that film was supposed to refer to absolutely every Asian. It was just called that, but perhaps set only in Singapore. I'm not sure what the book was like and how faithful it was to the source material.

The thing about the movie in China is that they already have plenty of Chinese dramas covering all kinds of subjects. They're not just martial arts movies. So CRA was not something new to them seeing an all Chinese cast. They get this every day. It's just that they don't get such a huge and lavish Hollywood budget.

As for being a traditional family in Singapore and why they are Christians rather than Buddhists, well that doesn't quite follow. They can be traditional in culture and values, because of their upbringing and heritage, but this family can easily have either been raised as Christians or become Christians at some point. Each individual family is different, and their personal experiences shape their lives and beliefs. Now the family didn't particularly behave as Christians, especially in the way the mother (Michelle Yeoh) was so unaccepting and judgmental of Constance Wu's character. But that's beside the point here. All I'm saying is that it is very possible for a Chinese family to be very traditional but not be Buddhists. I can tell you that from experience.

And as for everyone sounding like they were British or from the US, I can see what they were doing. They were trying to overcome typical stereotypes that Westerners have of Asians that they all speak with accents, are all a bit goofy, nerdy or subservient. They were trying to show that they are just as cool and acceptable as anyone else and can be considered attractive as well.

In fact, the reason that many spoke in this way was because they were brought up either in England or the US, according to the story. So a lot of this film was about cultural clashes. If you recall Awkwafina's line to Constance Wu about being a banana (yellow on the outside, white on the inside), that was something very significant here, and also significant for a lot of Chinese who are either born or raised elsewhere other than China itself. There is always that constant dilemma and struggle about not fitting in because they're too Asian-looking to be considered white, but too white in mentality, upbringing and culture to be considered Asian.

Now admittedly, many of those in CRA, particularly the older generation or those who were raised in China, should've sounded more Asian. But it wasn't completely out of place for there to also be Chinese who sounded Western. It's not quite the same as Black Panther and Wakanda, where they were an isolated and hidden nation that had barely had any exposure to the outside world. There, it was natural for them to all speak only with African accents.

Bringing this back on topic (although the above is not so much just a discussion of CRA but of Asian culture), when it comes to Shang Chi, it will all depend on whether he's been raised exclusively in China, or whether he was brought up (or even born) in America or even England. I'm sure there will be a mix of different types in the film.

I hope they really get ambitious with the martial arts here so that it’s one of the best films of that type in a good while.

Depends on what you mean by "ambitious". If you mean being more fantastical, well that's what Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did. And all of that wire work looks dated and unimpressive compared to classic Kung Fu films from the 1970s where they had to rely purely on fight choreography and pure skill. If someone did some fancy move, it was because they were doing it in real life as a practical stunt. There was none of this gravity-defying ridiculousness like in Crouching Tiger or House of Flying Daggers etc.

That's why the Bruce Lee films or earlier Jackie Chan films look far more impressive than anything recently. If you want to see sheer skill and fighting prowess, watch those. Marvel needs to go more practical with Shang Chi than going more fantastical. If the fights in Shang Chi were anything like Drunken Master (Jackie Chan's masterpiece), then that would be better than any Crouching Tiger type of film out there. It won't have the visual spectacle of flying through the air and never touching the ground, but it still ultimately looks way better and more breathtaking when you see all the actual skill involved.

Depends on what you mean by "ambitious". If you mean being more fantastical, well that's what Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did. And all of that wire work looks dated and unimpressive compared to classic Kung Fu films from the 1970s where they had to rely purely on fight choreography and pure skill. If someone did some fancy move, it was because they were doing it in real life as a practical stunt. There was none of this gravity-defying ridiculousness like in Crouching Tiger or House of Flying Daggers etc.

That's why the Bruce Lee films or earlier Jackie Chan films look far more impressive than anything recently. If you want to see sheer skill and fighting prowess, watch those. Marvel needs to go more practical with Shang Chi than going more fantastical. If the fights in Shang Chi were anything like Drunken Master (Jackie Chan's masterpiece), then that would be better than any Crouching Tiger type of film out there. It won't have the visual spectacle of flying through the air and never touching the ground, but it still ultimately looks way better and more breathtaking when you see all the actual skill involved.
I guess I mean both ambitious in terms of getting the very best martial arts practitioners/stuntmen working today and then also having something extra like having some sparks and glowing stuff come off when he uses his moves. :cwink:

Hey you know what would be great for this? Setting it in madripoor. They’ll own the rights to that soon

I hope they get a top martial arts co-ordinator for the action scenes. I think this guy could be good:

bear-twirling-a-stick.gif

I hope action scenes looks as good as in the Winter Soldier. I prefer to keep it quite realistic, no flying people please.

I hope action scenes looks as good as in the Winter Soldier. I prefer to keep it quite realistic, no flying people please.
That's probably the MCU film that has the best close quarters hand-to-hand action. :up:

I don't mind flying if it looks truly acrobatic and as if it can actually be done by someone in real life. So like when you see gymnasts or acrobats leaping about.

What I don't want is someone defying gravity, because even if someone thinks that looks wicked, it just looks silly and unrealistic. What's so impressive about seeing someone being suspended or walking in mid air? But if you see actual skill, even if they use a springboard to boost their jumps, that looks impressive.

The problem with the quasi wire fu flying martial arts is now we have the UFC and the my martial arts is better than yours questions have been largely answered so audiences are more likely to buy more real world looking take downs and fights as what the best would do.

Well, guess Iron Fist will never be rebooted with Marvel Studios now. There’s no way Marvel will ever bother with Danny Rand in the MCU when they have this character.

They aren't redundant though. Iron Fist has a bigger lore, with powers and dragons and such. Shang-Chi is more espionage and Bruce Lee stylized action.

I will say it boggles the mind what Marvel Television and Jeph Loeb were thinking choosing someone like Iron Fist for Netflix (probably knowing that TV couldn't be enough for a proper adaptation) while Shang-Chi would've fit that medium far better. It's like they set themselves for failure (samething with Inhumans on TV).

They aren't redundant though. Iron Fist has a bigger lore, with powers and dragons and such. Shang-Chi is more espionage and Bruce Lee stylized action.

I will say it boggles the mind what Marvel Television and Jeph Loeb were thinking choosing someone like Iron Fist for Netflix (probably knowing that TV couldn't be enough for a proper adaptation) while Shang-Chi would've fit that medium far better. It's like they set themselves for failure (samething with Inhumans on TV).
Yep, you can really feel the budget limitations in the Iron Fist show. I would have preferred him to appear in films. But these series should be fine if they want to try the character again.

I will be surprised if this ever makes it past the script stage tbh. its just so random and seems like that type of project to get stuck in development hell.

I will be surprised if this ever makes it past the script stage tbh. its just so random and seems like that type of project to get stuck in development hell.
I would be shocked. That would be completely unlike anything that has happened with the MCU before. They don't start work on something if they aren't sure they want it.

I reckon there’s a good chance. In fact, marvel tend to have a policy of waiting for a great script to come to them rather than going out and chasing people up. That’s how they got the script for guardians of the galaxy after all. I reckon if they’re seriously considering it, they probably have a script already that they like very much.

Plus there’s tons of interest from people who want to play the lead. The important bit will be finding the right director. I would love to know who the favourites are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"