Shang - Chi

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Blitzkrieg, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

Then if you get a half Chinese actor to play Shang Chi it doesn't really matter because the character is Chinese yes but the actor is Chinese just not full Chinese but it would be believable nonetheless because that actor in question has at least one Chinese parent; like does it really have to come down to being a full-bred Chinese?

Max Huang
    Lewis Tan
    Jon Foo

All Chinese or half Chinese actors who are biracial but who can still pull off the role

Or if you want a full on Chinese actor to play Shang Chi then:

Ashton Chen
    Daniel Wu
    Wallace Huo
    Harry Shum Jr
    Ludi Lin
    Wesley Wong
    Godfrey Gao
    Kris Wu

2. Damkac

Damkac Well-Known Member

I hope Marvel will hire German actors to play Magneto or Nightcrawler and Russian to play Colossus. Thinking that all white people looks the same is racism.

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  3. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

However, with Shang-Chi if he gets to meet the other heroes of the MCU then it should be interesting to see if Shang Chi becomes an Avenger? Or if one of the Avengers show up in his film as a cameo appearance considering that is pretty much the norm in MCU films now

4. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Well-Known Member

If you cast a biracial person in the role perhaps you explore some themes about biracial identity and that sense of confusion or identity crisis that a lot of mixed kids race kids go through.

Is Shang Chi Chinese-American or native born Chinese?

5. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

I mean if he is Chinese American he is still Chinese nevertheless so why should it matter

6. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Well-Known Member

It doesn’t matter, just asking.

7. Damkac

Damkac Well-Known Member

Bruce Lee fought Kareem Abdul Jabbar. How about bringing Yao Ming (ex NBA player) here? He is a huge star in China.

8. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Humanity was a mistake

Disney had no problem finding an English-speaking Chinese actor to play Mulan, I'm sure they'll be able to do the same for Shang-Chi.

No, it's reality. :o

[​IMG]

THORin likes this.
  9. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Does he look like he's intimidating at all? I don't know what he looks like. If he's just a skinny rake, then he won't really come across well.

10. Damkac

Damkac Well-Known Member

It would probably take you less time to google him yourself than writing this post.
    He is 7'6'' and I thing he could look quite intimidating.

[​IMG]

11. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I hope this is the best martial arts film we've had in a very long time.

12. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

If it gives us Bruce Lee type vibes like think Enter The Dragon meets superhero film then I say we will most likely be in for a treat

13. Dark Raven

Give us a theme like this

And not like many of the other generic Marvel themes.

It would be great if they could've gotten the great Lalo Schiffrin to score the movie. Don't know if he's still working. He's in his mid 80s now.

14. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will make Shang Chi similar to Iron Fist in the MCU? I mean nothing would surprise me at this point but then again if they make Shang Chi more like the Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan of the MCU then they could actually have a hit on their hands especially with Asian audiences

15. Dark Raven

Why would they make it like Iron Fist in the MCU? He was critically panned and considered the weakest of the Netflix heroes. He barely had a costume and didn't really embrace all the martial arts until a little bit more in the second season. And Finn Jones wasn't great at fighting at all.

If anything, they need to look at things like Enter the Dragon, Mortal Kombat and the older classic Jackie Chan Kung Fu films (not so much his newer ones).

Iceman likes this.
  16. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

If they make it similar to Enter The Dragon meets Mortal Kombat then I know I would definitely want to see Shang-Chi

Iceman likes this.
  17. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

The world needs another Enter the Dragon level high profile martial arts film. It is time.

18. Darkprime

Darkprime Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing. I doubt Iron Man 4 is happening anytime soon if at all. Even if it did having it feature the real Mandarin basically invalidates Iron Man 3's existence. Plus all hail the king kind of did that already. Using Shang-Chi as a launching pad for the real mandarin would be awesome. A return to the street level villain i think is required after an intergalactic threat like Thanos.

Tg11 and SPO2 Dalisay like this.
  19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

MCU martial arts movie. Sounds cool.

20. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if you have one of the many Avengers show up in this film either as a side character or as a cameo...I would go probably Widow

21. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Here Kitty Kitty Kriti

'Power Rangers' Star Ludi Lin Wants To Play Shang-Chi

According to new reports, Aquaman star Ludi Lin is an actor who wouldn't think twice about taking the role. Speaking with ScreenRant on the Aquaman press tour, Lin says it's "definitely something" he wants to do.

"It’s definitely something I want to do," Lin mentioned. "To do an Asian-centric superhero. To tell that story. I mean ideally, I’d like to design my own superhero, make my own creation. But I think the Marvel world is pretty incredible as well."

Silvermoth likes this.
  22. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I'm not really familiar with the character in the comics, but I'm really interested in seeing what Feige and co. do with this one.

And I would echo the sentiment that this would be a great opportunity for them to revisit the Mandarin, with him taking the place of Fu Manchu since they can't use that character apparently. Honestly, given their notoriety for long term planning, it wouldn't surprise if that was their plan.

23. Dark Raven

Even if they had the rights to Fu Manchu, they'd be mad to use him. If people complained that the Mandarin was a racist stereotype, then Fu Manchu is even more of one.

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  24. Dark Raven

If Gemma Chan hadn't already been in Captain Marvel, she could've played in Shang Chi as someone.

25. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

Interesting but I wonder why they'll go for the street level hero. Are they green lighting this movie because of representation alone or because they find him a compelling enough character to bring to the big screen instead of a TV series on Disney+.This kind of reminds me of that Daredevil movie starring Ben Affleck, also a street level hero with martial arts ability. But I think we all can agree that Daredevil is much better as a TV series than a movie. .

Anyhow, I hope they go with a combination of more grounded stuff + a bit of fantastical elements to it. Like in the comics, following exposure to the cosmic radiation (maybe he came back from Thanos snap ?), Shang-Chi was able to create an unlimited number of duplicates of himself. That adds more of an interesting element to the character instead of just having chi. Also, I hope they don't make him weak minded like in the Iron Fist series.

One of my dream casting for the role of Shang Chi is Donnie Yen.

Too bad Donnie Yen has too much of a strong voice to kowtow to Marvel. Oh well