The Batman Box Office Super Early Predictions

I still think DCEU could've been salvaged if they didn't plan everything so poorly and double down on all the elements people hated about the first film. But what's done is done. Even MCU had its growing pains in Phase 1.
i still laugh at that when everyone's big criticism about MOS was superman shouldn't kill

very 1st superman scene in BVS LOL
KidiOs.gif

This film has possibly sold more tickets than BB (definitely overseas). But I remember a lot more enduring conversation about that film than this.
2005 was a very different landscape for CBMs and still relatively early in the CBM resurgence. The scale of other CBMs wasn't on quite the same level back then.

I remember Batman Begins (probably my favorite Batman movie) being pretty invisible pop culturally. The only thing of note was that MTV Awards parody skit. On the other hand, The Batman has been a source of steady mainstream online conversation and fascination.

Sure but the MCU didn't have the dude who did Incredible Hulk also penned to do The Avengers. Having Snyder direct everything in terms of the main stuff rather than having a Feige style overseer was a bad call. Might have worked if you got a director known for reliable bangers but

it's Zack Snyder.
Except that is what happened (at least initially). Not sure how much of Zak Penn's draft made it into the film, but he still received a story credit.

Except that is what happened (at least initially). Not sure how much of Zak Penn's draft made it into the film, but he still received a story credit.

I'm less talking about the script and more the director.

And even then, Penn's good projects have almost always been when he collaborated with others. X2 had David Hayter and Brian Singer, Avengers had Whedon (who exclusively made the screenplay), Ready Player One had Ernest Cline.

Bar some meddling from Norton, Penn was the sole writer for Incredible Hulk. And...that kinda speaks for itself

I remember Batman Begins (probably my favorite Batman movie) being pretty invisible pop culturally. The only thing of note was that MTV Awards parody skit. On the other hand, The Batman has been a source of steady mainstream online conversation and fascination.

That's not exactly a level playing field.

The internet was not even remotely the same in 2005 as it is now.

It was entirely on computers.

No smartphones, no social media, no YouTube dominance (it was only 4 months old), no trending topics, no Reddit, no tablets, etc.

Saying The Batman is getting more mainstream online conversation than Batman Begins did is like saying that a song in 1950 is getting more airplay than something pre-radio.

That's not exactly a level playing field.

The internet was not even remotely the same in 2005 as it is now.

It was entirely on computers.

No smartphones, no social media, no YouTube dominance (it was only 4 months old), no trending topics, no Reddit, no tablets, etc.

Saying The Batman is getting more mainstream online conversation than Batman Begins did is like saying that a song in 1950 is getting more airplay than something pre-radio.

Yeah I remember, thanks. But I wasn't comparing BB's online reaction to The Batman's online reaction; I was comparing BB's general pop culture saturation to The Batman's mainstream online reaction. Precisely because it's not a level playing field, so today's general online discourse would be the closest thing comparable to pop culture of yesterday when legacy media ruled the discourse.

i still laugh at that when everyone's big criticism about MOS was superman shouldn't kill

very 1st superman scene in BVS LOL
KidiOs.gif

If you’re going to use that as reasoning that Superman killed then most certainly Batman has killed in all of his movies too.

Yeah I remember, thanks. But I wasn't comparing BB's online reaction to The Batman's online reaction; I was comparing BB's general pop culture saturation to The Batman's mainstream online reaction. Precisely because it's not a level playing field, so today's general online discourse would be the closest thing comparable to pop culture of yesterday when legacy media ruled the discourse.

Still don't think it's a level playing field.

Superhero films were not the talk of the town in 2005 that they are now.

There was Spider-Man doing great. But even X-Men was doing just okay.

I also don't think The Batman has really been that talked about past its first week or two at the BO.

Even this forum has slowed down monumentally after the first few weeks.

And we're in a bubble.

Mainly because I think this Batman franchise will end up more niche specifically for the reasons many here love it = it's less mainstream in its appeal.

In 2005, what I recall is that some people didn't even know if Batman Begins was a prequel or a remake. Like some moviegoers thought it was a prequel to Michael Keaton's Batman.

Also, the marketing campaign for the film just wasn't that good. The Joker's inclusion in Dark Knight is what really pushed that franchise and series over the top and that's what got people excited about The Dark Knight. They also did all that weird viral marketing for Harvey Dent that coincided with Obama's presidential campaign. So they kind of paralleled each other.

Back to The Batman, putting the movie on HBO Max is stupid. Let big films have their theatrical windows.

The HBO Max plan in 2021 was a costly disaster. I don't think they learned anything from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"