Shazam Shazam General Discussion and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very curious to see what they do with Metal Men. It's a definite ensemble cast that they can do with either mocap or makeup fx, probably the latter mixed with CG to save budget.

That's another property with big potential, imho!

I've always felt that Captain Marvel worked best separate from the rest of the DC Universe. I also feel that way about the X-Men and the Marvel Universe so maybe it's just me

These characters just make more sense without the restrictions of a greater universe

I've always felt that Captain Marvel worked best separate from the rest of the DC Universe. I also feel that way about the X-Men and the Marvel Universe so maybe it's just me

These characters just make more sense without the restrictions of a greater universe

I hate when people say that. There are no restrictions. The restrictions and bounderies only exist with in the mind of negitive people. Any and all precived boundires are all Physiological and are only invented by the limited mind set of some people. (Writers, Directors, and some fans) You can do anything you want to when writing and/or driecting a movie.

Shazam and Metal Men can exist in the same universe without tying directly into the Justice League films. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy or the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot.

I hate when people say that. There are no restrictions. The restrictions and bounderies only exist with in the mind of negitive people. Any and all precived boundires are all Physiological and are only invented by the limited mind set of some people. (Writers, Directors, and some fans) You can do anything you want to when writing and/or driecting a movie.

Yup.

I'm surprised this film is still alive. I thought it was dead, especially after MOS.

I'll wait until the trailers to see if WB/DC lives up to the promise. I'm a bit skeptical that we'll even see a Shazam movie.

Keep Shazam in a separate universe with other properties with Doom Patrol.

Shazam and Metal Men can exist in the same universe without tying directly into the Justice League films. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy or the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot.

Agreed. And that's what I hope they do. Have Shazam be part of the greater DCCU, but have him be separated from the JL.

Marvel has put legal restriction on the use of the name "Captain Marvel" on DC, WB cannot call him Captain Marvel...unless they want to hand over the character to Marvel Studios.

Where is this from?

I think Shazam can totally work in the JL universe, precisely because his world is so light hearted. He was damn great in JLI.

Keep Shazam in a separate universe with other properties with Doom Patrol.
Add Metal Men to that... and that sounds ok to me. I can take or leave Shazam. Idgaf if hes in the universe or out of it. I'll see the movie but i really don't have much interest in it at all

Marvel has put legal restriction on the use of the name "Captain Marvel" on DC, WB cannot call him Captain Marvel...unless they want to hand over the character to Marvel Studios.
Where is this from?

From around the 1967....

After DC helped force Fawcett out of business by suing them, the Captain Marvel brand and trade mark went out of business and unpublished for years.

The last Fawcett "Marvel" family appearances 1953(yeah their sad not so ironic cover)...http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb.../5/53/Captain_Marvel_Adventures_Vol_1_150.jpg
Marvel_Family_Vol_1_89.jpg

By the late 60s Marvel seeing this, secured the trademark to "Captain Marvel" by putting out a title called "Captain Marvel"

729423.jpg

To this day they own and defend the right to the trade mark "Captain Marvel" - http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/5/30/4ff1bdbf36ebc/background.jpg

By the time DC licensed(and eventually bought outright) the now years unpublished and defunct Fawcett character, they realized they no longer had the trade mark and could not brand the character as such.

Hence ever since 1967 look up any DC branded Captain Marvel product (comic, toy, merchandise, TV show, cartoon, and now any movie), and you will see they are forced to market it as "SHAZAM" or as they cleverly did: The power of "SHAZAM!" or With one Magic word ... "SHAZAM!"

DC's first Captain Marvel...
shazam1.jpg

Merch 606- 70s...
shazcollect.jpg

80s - 90s
lrg-packaged-front.jpg
2c9dc567-9a68-4453-bf1b-e86c6ceb0556.jpg

j0h0dd.jpg

00s
dcuass.jpg

They can't use "Captain Marvel" on their product: He's branded as SHAZAM, they are ...Captain Jr. ? ....... Mary? Mary who?

This isn't something new, it's been that way since 1967:funny:

And yes it says Captain Marvel on the cover (and even inside the book), this is not the name of the book or product ie -Trade Mark-,
The TV show was also called SHAZAM but they refer to him as Captain Marvel in the episodes themselves, and in cartoons, but not on the title or any product.
And while they got away with it at first as later product was released it became more difficult, and now with movies and more powerful Disney involved, who will defend the name even more, DC has surrendered to just calling him SHAZAM.

SHAZAMv1_Presale_CV_htoms8guyb_.jpg

Last edited:
Um, I know all that but Bruce Begins claimed that DC can't call him Captain Marvel not that they can't use Captain Marvel as the title. Considering they have been calling him Captain Marvel for years with no legal trouble, I'm unsure why they would be incapable of doing so now. It certainly was not one of the reasons for the name change that Geoff Johns mentioned.

Um, I know all that but Bruce Begins claimed that DC can't call him Captain Marvel
My guess- The potential movie$ was the game changer . They can't call him that in the title of the movie, in the poster of the movie, in the promos for the movie, in the merchandise for the movie.
I imagine no producer is going to bankroll a movie franchise ( not talking comics) that they can't use the name of the character in the tittle, to promote it, or sell merchandise with.

Marvel/Disney has the trade mark for a "Captain Marvel" movie, and they will defend it at all co$ts. Game over.

Meet Shazam!

President of Warner’s New Line Cinema - “Shazam” in development - http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...ls-plans-for-justice-league-movie-exclusive//

Not Captain Marvel.

The Wall Street Journal said:
Warner Bros. has several other movies in development unconnected to the Justice League[/U][/B] that are based on DC superheroes and fantasy and crime titles from its Vertigo line of genre comics, said Mr. Silverman and Toby Emmerich, president of Warner’s New Line Cinema label. They include “Shazam,” “Metal Men,” “100 Bullets,” and “Fables.”

Last edited:
I hope this gets made simply so, when I mention Shazam to people, they don't think I'm referring to some POS movie where Shaquille O'Neal played a genie.

Ok, let's add Bugs Bunny to the roster in Batman vs Superman. Anyone who disagrees is weak minded and negative.

No offense, but I hate when people have their head in their butt.

Hey guys for me Shazam is not the project of The Rock, could be, but not in my book.
With all the secrecy around with the Rock's role, wouldn't make sense to have announced right now the movie, cause the best plan is to announce the project in SDCC.

I want a more serious take on Shazam. Wouldn't mind a family friendly version though, as long as it's not too childish and campy.

Who should play Billy Batson? The ever suggested flavor of the month Asa Butterfield? Or Zachary Gordon?
What about the hero itself? And Black Adam? For the latter there's only one choice, and it's The Rock. Can you even think of another actor for the super villain?
No? Well, I thought so!

There are other DC solo films I'd prefer to get before this but I'll definitely look forward to it regardless. Even better if it has The Rock although I think there are a number of roles The Rock could play in the DCCU.

I want a more serious take on Shazam. Wouldn't mind a family friendly version though, as long as it's not too childish and campy.

Who should play Billy Batson? The ever suggested flavor of the month Asa Butterfield? Or Zachary Gordon?
What about the hero itself? And Black Adam? For the latter there's only one choice, and it's The Rock. Can you even think of another actor for the super villain?
No? Well, I thought so!

Agreed on everything. The Rock as Black Adam would be perfect, obviously.

Meh. Not really sure I want The Rock playing anyone, let alone a beloved DC character.

Who would you cast as Mary Batson / Mary Marvel?

Last edited:
Meh. Not really sure I want The Rock playing anyone, let alone a beloved DC character.

I wasn't aware Black Adam was beloved. Even the most hardcore "I only want thespians playing comic characters" nerd likes the Rock casting choice from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"