Civil War She'll put a hex on you! The official Scarlet Witch thread - Part 1

tumblr_ocsxezVF1F1uutgwwo1_500.gif

tumblr_ocsxezVF1F1uutgwwo2_500.gif

Wanda needs to make a surprise cameo in Doctor Strange. But I think she's in Wakanda.

A new interview with Elizabeth Olsen:
http://www.geektown.co.uk/2016/09/07/interview-mcus-scarlet-witch-elizabeth-olsen/

When Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War lands on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD on 5th September, fans can experience more than 60 minutes of thrilling, exclusive bonus material. Take an up-close look at the evolution of lead characters Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, enjoy a behind-the-scenes exclusive on the making of the movie, and revel in never-before-seen deleted scenes.

The superhero adventure finds Steve Rogers leading the newly formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. But after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps – one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.

To celebrate the in-home release, we catch up with Elizabeth Olsen [who plays Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch in the movie] to find out her thoughts on the Marvel blockbuster…

Anthony and Joe Russo are the directing duo behind Captain America: Civil War. What was it like to work with the brothers on set?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: The Russos are in charge on set. They know anything that I might ever question. Or even if I’m not questioning something, all of their ideas are very specific. Being able to be so specific and direct and quick is really helpful to me as an actor.

Let’s talk about your character, Elizabeth. How does Wanda Maximoff feel about becoming one of the Avengers?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: For Wanda, I think the Avengers replaced any form of home and family because she doesn’t have any of that after we left her in Avengers: Age Of Ultron. She doesn’t have Sokovia anymore. Also, I think that losing her brother makes her want to continue to help people and save people, so she knows that she can be put to good use. I think it’s nice to be part of a community of people that are similar to you. Everybody tries to find that, and I think she does find that within this team.

How did you feel about the evolution of Wanda in Captain America: Civil War?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: I remember reading it [the script] and being really excited about my character’s arc. I liked the idea of her being terrified of her own abilities and being unsure. She’s just as unsure as everyone is with her, but everyone’s acting like everything is cool. To be unsure of your own power that’s within you is not something I personally relate to, but it is something that I found interesting and fun to play.

Do you hope that audiences will soon get to see Wanda fully embrace her powers as Scarlet Witch?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: I don’t know what we’re going to do next, but I think of her as being an incredibly strong, powerful person. It’s also fun because she could flip either way. I think there are a lot of things that could possibly be played with, but I’m not in control of that. A lot of this film is about conflict in general; it’s about what’s right, how to use your abilities and whether you should or not. That was the consistent theme throughout the whole film as opposed to her being not confident.

Wanda has an interesting relationship with Vision in Captain America: Civil War. How does that evolve in the movie?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: The relationship between Vision and Wanda is a big plot point in the film. The Marvel Cinematic Universe often differs from the comic books, but I really liked how they intelligently and intimately linked the two characters in this film. Vision is so sensitive and sweet to her, and they have this great friendship and trust.

Vision is extremely protective of Wanda…

ELIZABETH OLSEN: I think this relationship is something that fans have wanted, but we tried to root it in something that’s about pure friendship or companionship. I’m not a mutant; I’m made from his stone, basically, so we have that in common. To use that as a thread that roots our relationship is very important and grounding.

Wanda Maximoff is also on Captain America’s side in Civil War. How does she pick which way to go?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: Basically, it ends up being this argument politically about whether or not the Avengers follow their own rules or if they should follow the government rules and become a government-regulated union. At that point of the film, Wanda’s more terrified of causing harm to people than choosing a political side, so she ends up fighting with Cap’s team – but it was more about being accepted and less about actual political beliefs.

Hawkeye also chooses to side with Captain America. Does Wanda’s history with Hawkeye help her decision?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: Wanda feels betrayed by everyone, but when Hawkeye returns, she follows his lead because their relationship in between films has grown. She trusts him. He has almost become like a surrogate brother to her, so she feels like he’s going to protect her and not mess with her.

Do you think Hawkeye and Wanda make a good team?

ELIZABETH OLSEN: Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch make a really good pair together. One of my most favorite things in this universe is when the characters use each other’s assets or abilities to better themselves. With Scarlet Witch, it’s Hawkeye’s leadership and big-brother attitude that she needs more than his abilities. Her abilities have also grown, and she is probably the most formidable on the team.

Wanda’s new status as an Avenger also means the character gets a new costume…

ELIZABETH OLSEN: I have a superhero costume in this movie and it’s a nice one! It’s pretty much all leather, and it’s badass. I have this really cool coat that looks great with the movement that I’m doing. We try to choreograph things so you can see how beautiful it is. It looks cool and I feel like a witch in it.

Last edited:
Has Wanda ever been called Scarlet Witch in the MCU? Does she have a code name yet?

Has Wanda ever been called Scarlet Witch in the MCU? Does she have a code name yet?
She is called Scarlet Witch in the credits and on the merchandise. She has yet to be referenced as Scarlet Witch on screen. The characters are casual with each other and call each other their first names.

I bet it's an enemy or civilians that will give Wanda the name Scarlet Witch when they see her work her red witchy powers.

Well they're taking long enough since enemies and civilans have done that.

Wanda is popular in the action figure market:

http://marveltoynews.com/marvel-lege...review-photos/

Of all the Hasbro Marvel Legends figures that were on display at New York Toy Fair 2016 in February, the one that I was most instantly infatuated with was the Marvel Legends Civil War Scarlet Witch figure. And evidently, I wasn’t the only one–Scarlet Witch is selling for $50+ on the aftermarket already, making this one-per-case figure the most difficult Marvel Legends 6″ figure of the year to acquire.

Overall: The Captain America Civil War Scarlet Witch Marvel Legends 6″ figure is easily the best non-Hot Toys Scarlet Witch toy ever made. The all-new sculpt is covered in fine details, the articulation is close to perfect, and the likeness is better than usual. I think there’s a bit too much blush on Wanda’s face and I’m surprisingly unhappy with the look of the magic effects pieces, but there’s no doubt that this is a lovely and well-made figure.

GRADE: A-

Wanda needs to make a surprise cameo in Doctor Strange. But I think she's in Wakanda.

Strange will have to travel to her. She can't travel to him.

The Darkhold is mentioned in The Zealot , a digital comic about Kaecilius. If Kaecilius uses that in any capacity he will fall under Chthon's influence (maybe during the battle with Strange at the climax he uses the Darkhold and survives, but...).

I just love the idea of Chthon training Wanda (apt as he called himself her mentor in the comics I think) and that being the reason for her power leap in Infinity War, and him hoping Vision's "death" will cause her to destroy the stones.

TBQH I don't understand how they are going to depict Wanda's power growth in a credible way especially given she has absolutely nowhere to train, and Strange living in New York makes him a total non-starter.

I bet it's an enemy or civilians that will give Wanda the name Scarlet Witch when they see her work her red witchy powers.

I think the best candidates are for giving the title are:
Agatha Harkness (Arch-Witch)
Chthon (Creator of Witches)
Thanos
Doctor Strange

IMHO Only the first two can give her the title with any authority or value.

But this all depends if she can use dark (chaos) magic, if not then she can't really be called Scarlet Witch.

Why can't the general public give her that? Or the Daily Bugle if they existed in the MCU? Or we could have Spider-Man giving some of the characters these names, because as a teenager maybe he likes to do this sort of thing. He could call her Scarlet Witch because he thinks it's cool.

The MCU could take a page out of the Flash TV series where Cisco Ramon names all the metahumans. It adds a sense of fun, and certainly would fit in with some of Spidey's villains.

What is next for Wanda?
http://moviepilot.com/p/captain-america-civil-war-ending-next-for-avengers/4091827

Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch is really going through the mill. She's the target of public fury over the deaths in Lagos, and has become the linchpin of the whole 'Avengers are dangerous' narrative. In Civil War, Vision mentioned that her presence triggers a primal, biological fear in humans, and Scarlet Witch's enemies are going to use that against her.

Although Steve Rogers will be General Ross's primary target, for the public at large, it's Scarlet Witch they fear most. The fact Steve has Scarlet Witch at his side will mean he faces an uphill struggle in changing the public perception of his Avengers.

I strongly suspect that Scarlet Witch will remain active as a vigilante, working alongside Steve as one of his team of 'first responders'. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if she seeks to master her powers at Kamar-Taj, becoming the Avengers' link to the Masters of the Mystic Arts. As such, it's possible there'll be an end-credits scene in Doctor Strange that shows her arrival there.

I see no problem whatsoever. "Death as stakes" is overrated. How characters react to and change in response to events? Much better source of drama.

I thought in AoU they called her "the witch" or "the little witch" or something like that... Banner or Stark, idk, maybe I'm just making that up in my head

But we'll probably never hear "The Scarlet Witch" spoken on screen in the MCU

I thought in AoU they called her "the witch" or "the little witch" or something like that... Banner or Stark, idk, maybe I'm just making that up in my head

But we'll probably never hear "The Scarlet Witch" spoken on screen in the MCU
No, you're right. She gets called (just) 'witch' in AOU. When Hulk is going berserk in South Africa Tony says "that little witch is messing with your mind"

Has anyone ever thought that Elizabeth Olsen looks a little bit like Olga Fonda?

Tony referred to her as a "witch" in AOU when he was trying to talk down Hulk on his rampage. "That little witch is messing with your mind."

What is next for Wanda?
http://moviepilot.com/p/captain-america-civil-war-ending-next-for-avengers/4091827

Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch is really going through the mill. She's the target of public fury over the deaths in Lagos, and has become the linchpin of the whole 'Avengers are dangerous' narrative. In Civil War, Vision mentioned that her presence triggers a primal, biological fear in humans, and Scarlet Witch's enemies are going to use that against her.

Although Steve Rogers will be General Ross's primary target, for the public at large, it's Scarlet Witch they fear most. The fact Steve has Scarlet Witch at his side will mean he faces an uphill struggle in changing the public perception of his Avengers.

I strongly suspect that Scarlet Witch will remain active as a vigilante, working alongside Steve as one of his team of 'first responders'. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if she seeks to master her powers at Kamar-Taj, becoming the Avengers' link to the Masters of the Mystic Arts. As such, it's possible there'll be an end-credits scene in Doctor Strange that shows her arrival there.
Hoping that she'll finally be named and called Scarlet Witch in the next movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"