BvS Should Batman v Superman end on a Cliffhanger?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
Given on how we somewhat know that Snyder will be tasked with directing the "Justice League" film after he finishes up with "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice", do you guys feel that the latter the film (Dawn of Justice) should end on a cliffhanger that'll take us into "Justice League"?

There have been quite a few films that have taken this route, ranging from the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Trilogy to the Pirates Franchise for example.

Or, would you guys prefer for Batman v Superman to have a conclusive/definitive ending to the narrative that it presents, while only planting seeds for the Justice League film?

I personally don't want a cliffhanger going into the Justice League. Tie all things up that occurs in this film while hinting at Justice League.

I personally don't want a cliffhanger going into the Justice League. Tie all things up that occurs in this film while hinting at Justice League.

Because he doesn't want to pay to see another sequel. Look, cliffhangers have been a part of comics and a part of cinema since the dawn of the silent movies, and a part of story telling since the Oddessy. It worked very well with films like "Star Wars, Episode V: the Empire Strikes Back" and should work well with Batman v Superman should they employ it.

Last edited:
Yes the cliffhanger would be obvious, but it could still be cool. :D

A cliffhanger would be awesome. If it turns out BvS isn't a true MOS sequel, it would be cool is the movie could end with Doomsday trying to break out of those cuffs while intense cliff hanger music is playing the background! :grin:

Because he doesn't want to pay to see another sequel. Look, cliffhangers have been a part of comics and a part of cinema since the dawn of the silent movies, and a part of story telling since the Oddessy. It worked very well with films like "Star Wars, Episode V: the Empire Strikes Back" and should work well with Batman v Superman should they employ it.

Yes but the cliffhanger at the end of Empire isnt the same as say the cliffhanger at the end of Hobbit 2: The Search For More Money. The narrative story of Empire was over but obviously still lead into Jedi.

If you are talking about a cliffhanger as a tease then yes. If you are talking about a cliffhanger where you have to watch one of the movies to understand the others then no. If the Trinity defeat the foes in this movie but then someone teases something bigger on the horizon (like Geoff Johns does in every one of his big storylines) then it will work to perfection. If it is something like Darkseid shows up and his minions take Superman during the battle and then they leave then no. That is where Hobbit 2 failed epicly. You have this whole buildup to Smaug, you get 10 minutes of him taunting Bilbo and the Dwarves and then he flies off and fade to black. So lame...

BvS should be a standalone movie, something that has a complete narrative while still leading into JL. Maybe have them defeat whoever Lex has ready to fight but then have Lex afterwards licking his wounds in front of a computer talking to Brainiac. Maybe have someone tease Apokolips or the rise of Atlantis...tease further adventures after the completion of this adventure.

If it does, I hope it's not a cliffhanger like the end of the last Hobbit movie, where it feels like they just cut the movie off prematurely.

Maybe that's not a totally fair comparison since it's technically the second part of one story and not a sequel, but ever since that, I'm wary whenever I hear the term cliffhanger.

Did you guys like TAS2 battle at end with Rhino used as a semi-cliffhanger?

Don't keep us in suspense!

:woot: Nicely done.

Jon-Lovitz-ACTING.jpg.380x380_q85.jpg

I want each film to be a complete story. Now complete stories don't need end there.

Yes but the cliffhanger at the end of Empire isnt the same as say the cliffhanger at the end of Hobbit 2: The Search For More Money. The narrative story of Empire was over but obviously still lead into Jedi.

If you are talking about a cliffhanger as a tease then yes. If you are talking about a cliffhanger where you have to watch one of the movies to understand the others then no. If the Trinity defeat the foes in this movie but then someone teases something bigger on the horizon (like Geoff Johns does in every one of his big storylines) then it will work to perfection. If it is something like Darkseid shows up and his minions take Superman during the battle and then they leave then no. That is where Hobbit 2 failed epicly. You have this whole buildup to Smaug, you get 10 minutes of him taunting Bilbo and the Dwarves and then he flies off and fade to black. So lame...

BvS should be a standalone movie, something that has a complete narrative while still leading into JL. Maybe have them defeat whoever Lex has ready to fight but then have Lex afterwards licking his wounds in front of a computer talking to Brainiac. Maybe have someone tease Apokolips or the rise of Atlantis...tease further adventures after the completion of this adventure.

First of all, the cliffhanger at the end of "Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" led everyone to believe that there had to be a resolution to the story. We found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father, and that there was another (whom was revealed to be Laura, but was not certain). We (the moviegoers at the time, which I was a part of) also wanted to know what the fate of Han Solo would be. Would he forever be trapped in carbonite, or would he eventually get rescued? Secondly, there are different types of cliffhangers. They can get a way with what they did in "The Hobbit 2" because most of the audience watching the film have probably read the book and know what comes next. Ending the film abruptly in the middle of a climactic scene was done to bait them into coming to the next film. It still works in the same way. I never said that there was only one preferred way to make a cliffhanger. My opinion, though is that if they want to use the cliffhanger in BvSDOJ, it would be better to cameo the different heroes in cliffhanging scenes. That way it could potentially spawn interest in these characters solo or subsequent team-up film. Yes, I am talking about using the cliffhanger as a tease. I always was.

End BvS with the Death of Superman and the formation of the Justice League. plant some seeds for Darkseid in JL too

Could they skip the Death of Superman storyline as they know fans are expecting it?

End BvS with the Death of Superman and the formation of the Justice League. plant some seeds for Darkseid in JL too

No, end BvS with the formation of the Justice League, but put this scene in as one of the cliffhangers:

doomsday1.jpg

We'll get the message. You also want to place cameo/cliffhanger scenes like these at the end of the film:

blogger-image--1821020717.jpg

Joker__s_Calling_Card___Desktop_by_No_Sign_of_Sanity.jpg

73625859-f5f7-4b2d-9835-6e23d2553a54.Large.jpg

JL2d.jpg

2u5xee1.jpg

SivanaColored.jpg

Shazam_Monster0001.jpg

blackadam-dc.jpg

action+annual+13-02.jpg

Last edited:
No, end BvS with the formation of the Justice League, but put this scene in as one of the cliffhangers:

doomsday1.jpg

We'll get the message. You also want to place cameo/cliffhanger scenes like these at the end of the film:

Yup...dont waste the DOS on BvS is is contrived and lame. It will literally have no resonance.

Plus a Justice League without Superman as a founding member is no Justice League I want to see.

FYI I wasnt attacking you before just explaining my position deeper. People seem hung up on the idea of cutting the story off (especially DOS) to bait people in to see Justice League. They will see it anyways they dont need baiting. Your posts mirror my thinking :)

It's fine as long as the story is complete and then something happens at the very end to set up the next movie. Superman dying at the end of BvS setting up his return to form the Justice League is a pretty good cliffhanger.

Batman, Wonder Woman and whoever else involved, creating the JL in Superman's honour would be pretty beautiful actually.

Batman, Wonder Woman and whoever else involved, creating the JL in Superman's honour would be pretty beautiful actually.

I don't think Superman dying (permanently) is going to help the franchise any (least not at this point in time when they just rebooted it).

Not, permanently dead.

Heck, the cliffhanger could be showing Supes' grave empty :wow:

No.

Historically, cliffhangers in films are markers to bad quality. The exception to the rule is Empire Strikes Back, and I highly doubt that we will ever have a comic book film on the same level of quality, so no.

No.

Historically, cliffhangers in films are markers to bad quality. The exception to the rule is Empire Strikes Back, and I highly doubt that we will ever have a comic book film on the same level of quality, so no.

6a00d83451b52369e2019b03296647970d-550wi

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"