BvS Should Batman vs Superman end on a cliffhanger?

I'd like for the movie to finish with Bats over superman, batman has superman in submission, alfred or robin is in the cave putting the final pieces of the puzzle together - superman is really against the ropes - a bomb goes off nearby, troops all come in, there is martial law - lex is now running the show - batman hears on his ear piece that lex was infact the puppeteer, pulling the strings, as much of an alien clark is, he is not the enemy and bats at that moment realises he needs superman's help and lets go.. actually come to think of it i like this scene, just not as a cliff hanger...i dunno there is just too much we can do/be pleased with

Man of Steel didn't even tell all of its own story. It never explored when Clark left Smallville, it had contradicting themes and ideas, as well as leaving too many things for the sequel (eg the creation of "Clark Kent"), the flashbacks were seemingly randomly placed.

I didn't get any of that from the movie. It was obvious he left Smallville when Jonathan died, I didn't notice any contradicting themes and I don't see how they left the "creation of Clark Kent" for the sequel.

Clark Kent is who his father created, the guy who lives a normal life and keeps his powers a secret. This was actually one of the things I applauded the movie for in my review, how they fleshed out both characters of Superman and Clark Kent. Jonathan essentially molded the Clark Kent persona while Jor-El help mold the Superman persona, he filled the void. The dynamic of the two fathers essentially molding the dual sides of Clark/Superman is what I loved about the movie.

Imagine if Batman Begins didn't have the scenes were Bruce wants to kill Joe Chill, is reprimanded by Rachel, confronts Falcone and then leaves Gotham, and then fails to reintroduce Bruce Wayne to the world until after he defeats Ra's.

MOS instead had the scene in the car where he's arguing with Jonathan about what he wants to do with his life. "I just want to do something useful with my life". Jonathan responds with "maybe our best isn't good enough for you anymore". In a normal world, this is you telling your parents that the life they created for you isn't enough, and you want to go out there and be someone else. In this world, this is Clark telling his parents that Clark Kent the farmer isn't enough for him, and he wants to go out there and be himself, use his powers, save people.

The flashbacks weren't random. I didn't think this movie was subtle in the message it was trying to convey in terms of Clark's life, but I guess some people didn't get it. The flashbacks were showing you Clark's inherent need to save people and stand up, while also showing Jonathan's point of Clark needing to put secrecy above everything else.

While Jonathan did everything he could to suppress Clark's "other side", it created a void inside Clark that would eventually lead him away from home. This is why the car scene and the tornado scene are key. Jonathan tells Clark that their best isn't good enough for him anymore, and then stops Clark from exposing himself by saving him.

Clark was already a goner before the tornado happened, Jonathan sacrificing himself was his way of telling Clark "remember what I taught you". Obviously he thought the message was greater than his own life.

So Clark left home after Jonathan's death. I didn't think they literally needed to show him running away like Bruce did in Begins. The dialogue itself made it obvious to me, he was gone.

We see him as a grown man, clearly searching for answers, trying to fill the void inside himself. He's a traveler, moving town to town, doesn't seem like a happy person at all.

He finds the ship, Jor-el tells him who he really is, why he sent him here, what his destiny is, gives him the suit. Void filled.

Then he returns home with the biggest smile on his face and tells his mother "I found them, my parents, my people, I know where I come from". Take note of how he doesn't smile at all before he finds Jor-El. Then he comes home with the biggest smile on his face. He's finally complete.

Honestly, this was one of the best CB movie origin stories I've ever seen. I suppose it wasn't in your face like some wanted it to be, but I definitely got what they did. It was a very complete story to me.

Batman and Superman are in the cave congratulating each other on a job well done. Wonder Woman enters.
WW: I need your help
Coming Soon: Justice League

Batman and Superman are in the cave congratulating each other on a job well done. Wonder Woman enters.
WW: I need your help
Coming Soon: Justice League

Do you think you'd need a solo WW movie in that scenario? Maybe to explain how she ended up in that cave and what the hell she needs help with?

Do you think you'd need a solo WW movie in that scenario? Maybe to explain how she ended up in that cave and what the hell she needs help with?

Not really. If I was to do it JL would intro WW. The big bad would be Ares. WW would be our viewpoint character in JL. That way you generate buzz for her and the JL will lead into her solo movies.

Sorry but I hate the idea of Superman dying being the reason the JL is formed. Superman should only die after the JL is formed, just like the comics. And i also hate the idea of ending the movie with a fight between Batman and superman, I think their conflict should happen early on so they can be partners by the end like they're supposed to be

Lex Luthor becoming the US president and declaring a war on superheroes and vigilantes. :yay:

Lex Luthor becoming the US president and declaring a war on superheroes and vigilantes. :yay:

i like the idea but there arent enough heroes at this point to justify it

i like the idea but there arent enough heroes at this point to justify it

Actually, he should just turn Superman into an enemy of the state. "Anyone working with Superman will be punished".

In the end of the third act, we find out Brainiac gave the kryptonite to Luthor so he could get rid of Superman and invade the planet (Lex obviously doesn't know that). Martian Manhunter shows up and tells everything to Bats. Justice League.

Just some fanfic.

I'd like it to be revealed in this movie that there was a villain behind the villain. Perhaps Metallo's body gets taken over for a brief moment, sending a threat/warning ("I am coming. It will be quick. You will not comprehend. Mark my words.", etc).

Then the after-credits sequence taking place one year later. Bruce, in his cave, picks up something on his radar/sonar scanners (Brainiac's ship heading toward Earth), he contacts Clark, "It's true. It's happening". Clark, at the Daily Planet, makes his way on to the roof, and flies up into the sky.

Displaying a sense of caution or unwillingness, Bruce pulls out several dossiers on his screen showing the symbols of all the other members, pondering if this is a good idea.

Computer asks for the password to open the files. Bruce answers, "Justice League".

Last edited:
How to do cliffhangers in cinema:
-Empire Strikes Back
-The Dark Knight

How not to do them:
-Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
-The Matrix Reloaded

"Will Batman and Superman escape Luthor's deadly trap? Find out next bat-year, at the same bat-theatre!"

How to do cliffhangers in cinema:
-Empire Strikes Back
-The Dark Knight

How not to do them:
-Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
-The Matrix Reloaded

Yup, you need to end at some sort of temporary equilibrium condition.

I didn't get any of that from the movie. It was obvious he left Smallville when Jonathan died, I didn't notice any contradicting themes and I don't see how they left the "creation of Clark Kent" for the sequel.

As, hopefuldreamer said, (I'll paraphrase) One of the big things about Lois and Clark's meetings is that he wouldn't reveal himself to the world until the world was ready, like his father wanted. However, Clark does not reveal himself to the world because the world is ready, this moment of stepping into the light is a hollow moment because his hand is forced by Zod, it is a problem of circumstance. This can be furthered where the fact that the world didn't implode (though we didn't really see much of the world's continued reaction) with this knowledge, so why exactly did Jonathan Kent die?

Also by "Clark Kent" I mean the man who will be working in the Daily Planet, wears glasses etc Goyer himself said he left this for the sequel, and that it would be difficult to write. So it would be like taking out all of the "Bruce Wayne- eccentric billionaire" scenes out of Batman Begins and ending the film with him being brought back from legal death.

Clark Kent is who his father created, the guy who lives a normal life and keeps his powers a secret. This was actually one of the things I applauded the movie for in my review, how they fleshed out both characters of Superman and Clark Kent. Jonathan essentially molded the Clark Kent persona while Jor-El help mold the Superman persona, he filled the void. The dynamic of the two fathers essentially molding the dual sides of Clark/Superman is what I loved about the movie.

Nopenopenope. Clark Kent- as per David Goyer- has not been explored. Until the end of the film, there was no dual identity. "Clark Kent" was created by Clark at the end of the film when he was talking to his mother at the end of the film. We never really saw how Superman was created either, what is Clark's motivation to want to help people? We're supposed to accept that he just does.

MOS instead had the scene in the car where he's arguing with Jonathan about what he wants to do with his life. "I just want to do something useful with my life". Jonathan responds with "maybe our best isn't good enough for you anymore". In a normal world, this is you telling your parents that the life they created for you isn't enough, and you want to go out there and be someone else. In this world, this is Clark telling his parents that Clark Kent the farmer isn't enough for him, and he wants to go out there and be himself, use his powers, save people.

Yeah, that's a good example of a scene where the film shines. But it seems like the tornado scene is payoff to only a poorly represented scene before it- the bus sequence. We don't see why Clark wants to help people, there's no explanation to it, and that is then furthered by Jonathan saying he should have maybe let those children die in order to protect yourself.

The flashbacks weren't random. I didn't think this movie was subtle in the message it was trying to convey in terms of Clark's life, but I guess some people didn't get it. The flashbacks were showing you Clark's inherent need to save people and stand up, while also showing Jonathan's point of Clark needing to put secrecy above everything else.

Tony Stark in Iron Man gained a need to save and help people too. However, we are shown why- his weapons destroy lives. Bruce Wayne gains a need to save people in Batman Begins- he saw his parents murdered. Thor gained a need to help people when he learned humility on Earth. Spider-Man gained it when he learned with great power comes great responsibility and Ben's death. Steve Rogers gained a sense of duty to his fellow man when one of the greatest most magnificent evils the world had ever seen was destroying Europe and had a sense of greater duty instilled in him by the SSSerum.

Clark just does.

While Jonathan did everything he could to suppress Clark's "other side", it created a void inside Clark that would eventually lead him away from home. This is why the car scene and the tornado scene are key. Jonathan tells Clark that their best isn't good enough for him anymore, and then stops Clark from exposing himself by saving him.

So, let me get this sorted: Clark wants to become a guardian for humanity, Jonathan accepts this, Clark has the perfect chance to reveal that all the people he saved over the years in Smallville were not flukes, but that he has the abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and the Jonathan says "psych!" and makes Clark let him die, because "my father believed if the world found out who I truly was, they'd reject me out of fear".

Clark was already a goner before the tornado happened, Jonathan sacrificing himself was his way of telling Clark "remember what I taught you". Obviously he thought the message was greater than his own life.

But the message is disregarded anyhow, the message being "my father believed if the world found out who I truly was, they'd reject me out of fear".

Well, looks like I have to do it anyhow, and you were wrong dad.

So Clark left home after Jonathan's death. I didn't think they literally needed to show him running away like Bruce did in Begins. The dialogue itself made it obvious to me, he was gone.

But we don't see the motivation for Clark's methods. Jonathan tells him to find out who he is. Is he hunting the ship, did he stumble upon that person at the bar by chance? The film doesn't show what he is doing, just the results.

We see him as a grown man, clearly searching for answers, trying to fill the void inside himself. He's a traveler, moving town to town, doesn't seem like a happy person at all.

He finds the ship, Jor-el tells him who he really is, why he sent him here, what his destiny is, gives him the suit. Void filled.

Then he returns home with the biggest smile on his face and tells his mother "I found them, my parents, my people, I know where I come from". Take note of how he doesn't smile at all before he finds Jor-El. Then he comes home with the biggest smile on his face. He's finally complete.

Honestly, this was one of the best CB movie origin stories I've ever seen. I suppose it wasn't in your face like some wanted it to be, but I definitely got what they did. It was a very complete story to me.

This is just a broad summary of the film, with no substance to the rest of the previous conversation. I know what happened, I just don't think it was all that great.

Whatever the cliffhanger is, you know its going to make Superman look great and Batman look secondary, as this film is only to introduce the new Batman. Its a Superman film first and foremost.

Well this movie is supposed to lead into a new Batman movie right? So just have the next Bat villain in shadows reacting to the public reveal of Batman.

As, hopefuldreamer said, (I'll paraphrase) One of the big things about Lois and Clark's meetings is that he wouldn't reveal himself to the world until the world was ready, like his father wanted. However, Clark does not reveal himself to the world because the world is ready, this moment of stepping into the light is a hollow moment because his hand is forced by Zod, it is a problem of circumstance. This can be furthered where the fact that the world didn't implode (though we didn't really see much of the world's continued reaction) with this knowledge, so why exactly did Jonathan Kent die?

A super being stepping out from the shadows and revealing himself to have god like powers and alien origins is a much different circumstance than one stepping out of the shadows and saving the world from certain destruction. Like I said, Jonathan death was his way of telling Clark to "remember what I taught you". If no Zod, Clark likely comes out in a much different manner, one that is gradual and not in the grand fashion type of way that was forced with Zod's arrival.

I like to relate what happened in the movie to a real world what-if scenario, which I'm sure they wanted you to do. Clark doesn't take Jonathan's advice and comes out about his origins and his powers, we'd all fear him and what his intentions were, no matter what he said.

Clark comes out as a symbol of hope, a savior from the stars. The way Jor-El intended him to come out. I'd like to think the world would be a lot more accepting to this individual.

Zod provided the means for Clark to come out. The means were not as he intended, but it actually all worked out. The world will be much more accepting to someone that just saved their asses from certain destruction. This is actually highlighted in the film when the military initially fires on him despite him telling him that he's not an enemy of theirs, but puts their guns down and labels him their friend after he saves them. Actions speak louder than words.

Also by "Clark Kent" I mean the man who will be working in the Daily Planet, wears glasses etc Goyer himself said he left this for the sequel, and that it would be difficult to write. So it would be like taking out all of the "Bruce Wayne- eccentric billionaire" scenes out of Batman Begins and ending the film with him being brought back from legal death.

I know what you meant, and there's nothing to be said about this character that already hasn't been said. Bruce Wayne, playboy billionaire is a facade, much like the Clark Kent that wears glasses. What else is there to tell?

There was what, 1 scene with that Bruce Wayne in Begins? Literally 1 scene. Well, actually 2 because of the party scene. Only 1 was necessary to show the audience who the fake Bruce Wayne was, the other was plot related. Point being, we already knew who the fake Bruce Wayne was and why he put on the act, that's what we got from MOS. MOS had 1 scene with glasses wearing Clark Kent, and it was explained in the film, "what are you going to do when you're not saving the world?" "I gotta find a job where I can keep my hear to the ground, where people wont look twice when I want to go somewhere dangerous, start asking questions".

There's nothing else to be said about this character.

Nopenopenope. Clark Kent- as per David Goyer- has not been explored. Until the end of the film, there was no dual identity. "Clark Kent" was created by Clark at the end of the film when he was talking to his mother at the end of the film. We never really saw how Superman was created either, what is Clark's motivation to want to help people? We're supposed to accept that he just does.

Like I said, we know everything we need to know about this character. Just like Goyer and Nolan didn't need multiple scenes to show the audience who the facade Bruce Wayne was.

Clark has an inherent need to want to save people, why does there need to be any explanation further than that? You seem to want another Batman type character. That's not Superman. Clark doesn't need to see his parents get killed, or his uncle get killed. Some people are born with that need and some people develop it. Clark was born with it, and it was pretty obvious by the flashbacks that he had the call from the outset. Your problem seems to stem from not knowing the Superman character. We're supposed to accept that he just does because he just does. He was born with it. Not all super heroes are created the same.

In the same way Bruce developed his crime fighting abilities(his "powers"), Clark was born with them.

Yeah, that's a good example of a scene where the film shines. But it seems like the tornado scene is payoff to only a poorly represented scene before it- the bus sequence. We don't see why Clark wants to help people, there's no explanation to it, and that is then furthered by Jonathan saying he should have maybe let those children die in order to protect yourself.

Why does there need to be an explanation to it? You see a car crash and people need help, you go and help. You're later interviewed and asked why you decided to help, what are you going to say? "My parents died in a car crash, that was why I helped"? No. Because that didn't happen. You helped because not only do you have the means to help, but you have the inherent need to help people in trouble.

This is what we're shown throughout the movie. The bus scene, the oil rig, Lois being hurt, Zod, etc...

Going back to the scene where Jonathan is talking to Clark after the bus scene. He tells Jonathan "I just wanted to help", "what was I supposed to do, just let them die?" That's someone who knows nothing else than to save people. That's what you're not getting. That need doesn't need to be born from an event, it just needs to be born. It was there with Clark from the outset.

Tony Stark in Iron Man gained a need to save and help people too. However, we are shown why- his weapons destroy lives. Bruce Wayne gains a need to save people in Batman Begins- he saw his parents murdered. Thor gained a need to help people when he learned humility on Earth. Spider-Man gained it when he learned with great power comes great responsibility and Ben's death. Steve Rogers gained a sense of duty to his fellow man when one of the greatest most magnificent evils the world had ever seen was destroying Europe and had a sense of greater duty instilled in him by the SSSerum.

Clark just does.

First of all, you have Steve Rogers all wrong. He too, like Clark, was born with that need. If you think any kind of serum gave him that sense of duty, you don't know the character. All the serum gave him were the means to save people, that duty was already there.

You don't even need the comics to tell you that. The movie outlined this pretty well when he wanted to join the military despite his shortcomings, diving on the grenade, etc...

Secondly, what's the problem? Clark just does. So what? Heroes can't have an inherent need but must have something bad happen to them for them to actually want to help people? You must have a very sinister view of the world if you think people only want to help people if something bad happened to them. So what, every firefighter that is willing to put their life on the line and run into a burning building is only doing it because their parents died in a fire?

Excuse me if I'm just misunderstanding you, but that is just ridiculous. Iron Man and Batman had different origins that Superman, why is that a problem?

So, let me get this sorted: Clark wants to become a guardian for humanity, Jonathan accepts this, Clark has the perfect chance to reveal that all the people he saved over the years in Smallville were not flukes, but that he has the abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and the Jonathan says "psych!" and makes Clark let him die, because "my father believed if the world found out who I truly was, they'd reject me out of fear".

I thought you got that scene, but you obviously didn't. Jonathan sacrificed himself because he knew Clark had an inherent need to save people, but wanted him to protect his identity over everything.

"You have to keep this side of yourself a secret"

Firstly, how is saving his own father in front of like 20 people going to convince the world of anything? Secondly, Jonathan's point was to keep his Clark Kent side a secret, there was no "sike" moment involved in that scene, he'd been telling him his whole life that he needed to keep his powers a secret, even telling him that maybe he should have let those kids die on the bus. Would have been mightily selfish and hypocritical of him to then allow Clark to save him in front of all those people. He thought his message was greater than his own life, that's why he sacrificed himself.

But the message is disregarded anyhow, the message being "my father believed if the world found out who I truly was, they'd reject me out of fear".

Well, looks like I have to do it anyhow, and you were wrong dad.

Like I said before, saving the entire planet from certain destruction is much different than just coming out and revealing yourself to be an alien with godlike powers.

Was he wrong? Clark comes out to the military, telling them that he's not their enemy, that he's a friend, that he grew up a human and for all intents and purposes, is one of them. Then they FIRE ON HIM the first chance they get. He then saves them from getting killed, walks out, and they put their weapons down. "This MAN is not out enemy". They later work together.

This is a representation of how the world would feel. He reveals himself, and no matter what he says to them, they will not see him the way he wants them to see him. But let him personally save YOUR life, that will certainly change the way you feel. That's what happened in the movie. He saved those military guys' lives and changed the way they felt. "This man is not our enemy". He had already told them that, but they needed to have their lives hang in the balance and for him to save them to change their opinion of him.

The lives of every human just hung in the balance, and he saved them. I think they'll be a lot more accepting now. Jonathan was not wrong. The soldiers are not robots, they are humans. The fact that they didn't trust him despite all of his talk shows how humans feel. They were not ready, they didn't trust him, and they tried to kill him.

But we don't see the motivation for Clark's methods. Jonathan tells him to find out who he is. Is he hunting the ship, did he stumble upon that person at the bar by chance? The film doesn't show what he is doing, just the results.

Actually it does. Why would he leave home in the first place? If he was content on being who he was, he would have just stayed. "I just want to do something useful with my life", he's obviously not saying he wants to be a banker, he's certainly not saying he wants to be a busboy. He wants to go out there and use his powers and save people.

Lois takes note that he's a traveler, moving place to place, saving people in need. He took his father's advice to heart and kept his identity a secret. Notice how he doesn't use his real name. He didn't move away from the farm life to pour drinks in a pub. If you bring it all together it's pretty obvious what he was doing. Searching. He didn't know about the ship until he happened upon it in the pub. But no doubt he was always keeping his ears open for such events.

And most importantly when trying to figure out what exactly he was doing, he returned home once he found about his origins.

This is just a broad summary of the film, with no substance to the rest of the previous conversation.

It's Clark's journey to fill the void, very much relevant to the previous conversation. I just don't think you understand the film or the character at all.

Last edited:
Nope .
They meet.
They fight.
They get together and defeat whatever threat they are facing.
Simple.

If this is a TRUE sequel, yes. Batman's a minor character, Luthor gets away with it, and the implication is that Bruce will do investigative work anytime he gets to visit Metropolis. The sequel starts with Batman exposing Luthor, and Luthor makes a deal with Brainiac to isolate and kill Superman, while he sends his drones after Batman.

Yeah, I overtink things ;)

If this is a TRUE sequel, yes. Batman's a minor character, Luthor gets away with it, and the implication is that Bruce will do investigative work anytime he gets to visit Metropolis. The sequel starts with Batman exposing Luthor, and Luthor makes a deal with Brainiac to isolate and kill Superman, while he sends his drones after Batman.

Yeah, I overtink things ;)
Luthor is getting away with what exactly?

Hahaha.

But no, Luthor's plan should to be to run for office and use his leverage against Superman. Or something like that ;)

He should be secretly be using Metallo to silence those who oppose him :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"