Days of Future Past Should/Could a "NEW" Timeline be created under Vaughn's helm?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
Considering on how well received FC was, along with how it ignored the events of X3 and even Origins, if there was any possibility of this happening, would you guys prefer for a "new" (or alternate) timeline to be created where the events of X3 and even origins no longer exist for good in Vaughn's franchise, thus sparing the characters that were written horribly in the past?

Thoughts?

I guess I'd want to see how they do it first. I don't care how they treat X3 or Origins, really. Heck, time travel could've intervened to change the little inconsistencies found between XMFC and the first two movies.

I say YES!

If attempts to stop a critical event are going to be successful, then there isn't much suspense in that. Knowing that everything gets corrected isn't very exciting because we already know the future (X1 to X3) that results from it.

It only takes a few inconsistencies to make changes - the butterfly effect.

So, I think that if the plan to stop the event happens but doesn't go exactly in the way that the future suggests, then there could be a splinter timeline created - Timeline 3.

That would also allow for an X4 that didn't have to take The Last Stand into account.

But, if the filmmakers don't go down that route, i'm not going to have a meltdown. It all depends on the storytelling and the execution of ideas.

As long as X-men and X2 are mostly still part of timeline I say yes.

As long as X-men and X2 are mostly still part of timeline I say yes.

That doesn't matter, though. Vaughn already chose to contradict some elements of those films - and perhaps Singer agreed all those changes.

Better to create a clean slate, I think. So that Vaughn can do what he wants in future films, without worrying about lining up with X1-X3 and without fans complaining like hell if he doesn't.

But, as I said, that's just my view.

Again X-Men first Class Is prequel Is more connected to X-Men and X2 than It
contradicts.It's The Last Stand and Wolverine It more blanetly Contradicts.

For a Star Trek 2009 sceniro to work the original version of events leads to sentinles eather post X2 or Last Stand the time travel element prevents the event freeing them up for future films.It allowes the Star Trek thing where the films people like are still valid but now history has been altered.

I vote yes, so that way the more interesting mutants (Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Colossus, etc.) could be introduced without having to worry about the previous films.

Again X-Men first Class Is prequel Is more connected to X-Men and X2 than It
contradicts.It's The Last Stand and Wolverine It more blanetly Contradicts.

For a Star Trek 2009 sceniro to work the original version of events leads to sentinles eather post X2 or Last Stand the time travel element prevents the event freeing them up for future films.It allowes the Star Trek thing where the films people like are still valid but now history has been altered.

Or the way the event is prevented could be different in some major way, so that a third timeline is created.

That allows - for instance - for the introduction of Gambit, Juggernaut and Multiple Man in different ways, and for Nightcrawler to become an X-Men member - without having to fit in with the X1-X3 continuity.

It also gives more suspense to the story so we don't know exactly how it will all turn out.

It would be 1 time line of first Class+at least X-men and X2+Sentinle future untill event Is changed so then In future you can do films without having to fit.But,people better be prepared for possibly If this happens for wolverine to join In future.They have no reason not to use him If they don't have to fit with contunity.

You also don't want characters that were teenagers In X1-3 to suddenly start showing up In 1960's or 1970's.That will just make a mess of things.You have to create rules that It doesn't become a complete mess.

I say do whatever you want to Origins and X3. But if possible make ti so X1 and 2 seem to be part of the same continuity.

I say do whatever you want to Origins and X3. But if possible make ti so X1 and 2 seem to be part of the same continuity.

I am with you.I already only view First Class,X-men,and X2 when I view
the films now anyway.from back to 2010 my postion has been keep X-Men
and X2 In cannon as much as possibly.Do away with everythinh In Origins and Last Stand If you want.

Inconsistencies aside, First Class IS meant to be a prequel to the first two X-Men films. Both Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn went on record stating this numerous times.

As it currently stands, Origins: Wolverine has been rendered out-of-continuity, but X3's status is still up in the air. The intent of the X franchise's producers has always been to establish a single universe and continuity for their films, but they've had varying degrees of success in accomplishing that goal thus far.

There are both pros and cons to keeping The Last Stand in continuity and pros and cons to rendering it out-of-continuity. I personally think the best option is for Singer and Vaughn to pull a Superman Returns, trying to bring back TLS actors like Ellen Page and Kelsey Grammar and saying that something analogous to the events of TLS happened; that way, they can set the future portions of DoFP in the time period of the original films and have themselves covered if they can't get actors to come back, but don't have to tie themselves to the non-Singer parts of the X franchise. IOW, they can have their cake and eat it too.

I know I'm in the HUGE minority when it comes to liking TLS and Origins.
I'm very biased because I like the X-Men so much. Hopefully, it doesn't discount my opinion.
So, I take all the films as the same universe and hope that DOFP continues to use what was there before.
Not a big fan of reboots.
I know that fans were disappointed in both TLS and Origins (personally, I like Origins a lot more than TLS. The Phoenix Saga could've been so unbelievable if Singer finished what he had set up) and there is this feeling that they are very bad continuity-wise (I don't believe they are that big of a problem).

So, I guess I'd like to keep having connections between all the films. It's much more interesting to me.

^ Nothing's been rebooted, though. As the new 'top gun' in charge of the overall production of the X franchise, Bryan Singer chose to help Matthew Vaughn create a story in First Class that disregarded the events of Origins: Wolverine; it didn't suddenly create a new continuity, but simply chose to behave as if the events of Origins: Wolverine didn't happen. This is also being done by The Wolverine, I believe.

The Last Stand is by no means a bad movie, and can very easily fit with First Class and the first two X-Men films. However, if Bryan Singer - who, as noted, is now the person nominally in charge of the X franchise as a producer - chooses to render the events of that movie as being out-of-continuity with the rest of the franchise using the events of Days of Future Past, it is within his perogative, power, and purview to do so.

I liked The Last stand myself, but the primary reason I think Singer and Vaughn ought to render its events out-of-continuity and pull a 'Superman Returns' with Days of Future Past is so that, in the event Singer opts to direct another X-Men film (which could very well happen at some point) and said film is a sequel to his first two films, he is not beholden to events that happened in a film in which he had no involvement.

I understand what your saying, but I'm not quite sure that Singer and Vaughn are saying that Origins doesn't exist.
And even if they did it's not like they can totally erase it from the X-Men film canon. It was made and it exists.
Of course, I believe what happened with Superman Returns is why that series never continued.
I understand there is the Xavier walk at the end of Origins, another Emma Frost, and the opening sequence to TLS with X and Magneto.
Are they huge holes? Maybe.
But a huge deal breaker to discount whole films. If you dislike them? Sure. But if you like watching them? Not too big of a deal.

You really don't get what the terms in-continuity and out-of-continuity mean, do you? Yes, Origins: Wolverine was made and exists, but it is no longer considered to have any bearing on the story that plays itself out in the first two X-Men films.

Let me give you an equivalent example: the first Power Rangers movie featured the same group of actors and characters who were being featured in the Power Rangers television series at the time, but, as far as said television series is concerned, its events never happened. Despite having the same names and being played by the same actors, the individuals who appeared in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie are not the same people who appeared in the second and third seasons of MMPR and several of its sequel series.

In the same vein, First Class establishes that, despite having the same names and being played by the same actors, the individuals who appear in Origins: Wolverine are no longer considered to be the same people who appeared in the other X-Men films.

It has nothing to do with whether or not people liked or disliked Origins: Wolverine. It no longer exists in the same continuity as First Class and the first two X films. Its events still happened, but they happened to different incarnations of the characters we are familiar with from other films in the franchise.

They Could create a new timeline, they already have. Should they? No. Hell No.

Not this Universe/Timeline this one is complete garbage there is nothing good about it, they got almost everything wrong, its a gurgling abomination and should have been aborted in the second trimester.

They Could create a new timeline, they already have. Should they? No. Hell No.

No, they haven't created a new timeline. They've rendered Origins: Wolverine out-of-continuity (as I've said at least three times already), but there is still only a single timeline and continuity for the X franchise thus far. It starts with First Class, continues with X-Men and X2, and ends with The Last Stand.

Days of Future Past will be added to that timeline and may or may not end up rendering TLS out-of-continuity; if it does, the timeline and continuity of the X franchise will start with First Class, continue with Days of Future Past and X-Men, and end with X2.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Actully I would watch Days of future Past after Singer's films since It will start In future.The X-men films should be viewed this way
X-Men First Class
The Wolverine(which Is distraning Itself from X-Men Origins:Wolverine)
X-Men
X2
X-Men Days Of future Past(Just like with Star Trek the 2009 film should be viewed after Star Trek Nemesis)

It still unclear how or If X-men:The Last Stand fits.Are they reconning a few things or are they pulling a SUperman returns to It.

The future scenes In Days of futre Past should be viewed as possable future for characters from Singer's films.If Cyclops Is a part of future scenes that would be big clue Singer wants to remove The Last Stand from Contunity.

Remember Singer has strongly hinted Days of futre Class will connect First Class with his films.And Singer may also be leaving door open for sequel he could direct after first Class
trilogy Is done.

^ We don't know in what time period Days of Future Past will start, because we don't know how much of the storyline of the eponomous comic the film will or will not be adapting.

At any rate, DoFP is a direct sequel to First Class and, as such, is likely to be primarily focused on the FC cast of characters regardless of how much its storyline does or does not end up resembling the DoFP comic.

One final thing: First Class is ALREADY CONNECTED to the first two X-Men films despite a few inconsistencies. Both Singer and Vaughn went on record a number of times in the lead-up to the release of First Class unequivocally stating this fact.

What I took from recent comments from Singer is that they want to use DoFP to make up for the decision to excise Origins: Wolverine from the franchise continuity and finally and unequivically create a single concise universe for the X films the same way that Marvel Comics has with the MCU... which, incidentally, has been the stated goal from the beginning, but hasn't yet quite succeeded.

I would hope this to happen, if it could leave the door open for Bryan Singer to make his version of X3

Nope! They can ignore X3/Wolverine all they want but if this is an attempt to recreate X3 like Last Stand didn't exist and they can have the older Jean/Cyclops/ProfessorX again like they didn't die on Last Stand just seems wrong to me.

I would hope this to happen, if it could leave the door open for Bryan Singer to make his version of X3

Not gonna happen. They will not remake X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"