Should Hollywood bring these type of characters to the movies instead...

Batmans Spirit

Civilian
Reaction score
Ok, I got to ask this question.

I hear that Hollywood are planning on bringing characters like = Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash etc to the screen.

Does anyone else think they should really be bringing characters like = Spawn & Guyver - etc - instead??

I know if done correctly I (and others I would hope) would get more of a kick out of those characters than characters like "Flash" and "Green Lantern".

a remake of the guyver could be good

^ Well yeah they could but they seem to be more bothered with things like Wonderwoman and green lantern.
Even the SHH poll on the front page that asked something like: "Should they have carried on the JL movie despite the strike" and the largest recieved answer was: "They should stop it all together".

So i would think people dont want the classic colorful characters like 'Wonder woman' but prefer characters like = Guyver, Spawn etc, i think people would rather have Hollywood spend their money at trying to bring those to the screen again in live action ala "Batman Begins" & "Hulk".

This is why i asked 'Should they change the type of movies" and not "should they bring them both to the screen".

Instead of bringing the colorful campy characters like 'Flash' to the screen, they could bring the darker characters like 'Spawn' to the screen.

??

^ Well yeah they could but they seem to be more bothered with things like Wonderwoman and green lantern.
Even the SHH poll on the front page that asked something like: "Should they have carried on the JL movie despite the strike" and the largest recieved answer was: "They should stop it all together".

So i would think people dont want the classic colorful characters like 'Wonder woman' but prefer characters like = Guyver, Spawn etc, i think people would rather have Hollywood spend their money at trying to bring those to the screen again in live action ala "Batman Begins" & "Hulk".

This is why i asked 'Should they change the type of movies" and not "should they bring them both to the screen".

Instead of bringing the colorful campy characters like 'Flash' to the screen, they could bring the darker characters like 'Spawn' to the screen.

??

Yeah, the darker and more brooding a character is, the better. It's a well-known fact that 'dark' means more mature and better quality. If only Hollywood would listen to the real fans, we would tell them how to make the comicbook movies. i.e. as dark and violent as possible, nothing camp or colourful. That's why the first Spawn movie is so good, they just made it as dark and badass as possible, and didn't worry about pandering to family audiences with things like a coherent script or a proper director.

Calm the hell down man. You don't have to go on a big sarcastic ramble. And i don't mean dark & violent. It is a simple question that i asked. You could clearly have voted yes or no and stated why.

If you want things like Flash then more power to you.

And i don't want VIOLENCE i would prefer a more interesting badass character done correctly on screen than someone like "The green lantern"

That's why the first Spawn movie is so good, they just made it as dark and badass as possible, and didn't worry about pandering to family audiences with things like a coherent script or a proper director.

:whatever: - Why do you think i said "If done correctly"!!??!!

The word 'dark' gets thrown around a lot; I find it annoying. If it means something that's not cheesy or popcorn, I'm all for it.

It's perfectly possible to make movies of Flash, Wonder Woman, etc that are serious (with some humour in there somewhere!), mature and respectful of the comics and the fans.

They managed it with Batman Begins, they managed it pretty well with the X-Men franchise (despite the third movie upping the cheese and popcorn factor in a few places), they didn't really manage it with Superman Returns (it was a realistic setting but they made Superman too unlikable and too much of a loser, you wouldn't want to be like Superman therefore you don't empathise or care), they didn't do enough of it with Fantastic Four (for instance, Ben Grimm's initial transformation should have been terrifying and emotional - imagine how you'd feel if you turned to orange rock), they didn't manage it with Ghost Rider (which should have had a stronger, edgier horror element to it).

The word 'dark' gets thrown around a lot; I find it annoying. If it means something that's not cheesy or popcorn, I'm all for it.

It's perfectly possible to make movies of Flash, Wonder Woman, etc that are serious (with some humour in there somewhere!), mature and respectful of the comics and the fans.

They managed it with Batman Begins, they managed it pretty well with the X-Men franchise (despite the third movie upping the cheese and popcorn factor in a few places), they didn't really manage it with Superman Returns (it was a realistic setting but they made Superman too unlikable and too much of a loser, you wouldn't want to be like Superman therefore you don't empathise or care), they didn't do enough of it with Fantastic Four (for instance, Ben Grimm's initial transformation should have been terrifying and emotional - imagine how you'd feel if you turned to orange rock), they didn't manage it with Ghost Rider (which should have had a stronger, edgier horror element to it).
Hit the nail on the head again, X-Maniac.

"Dark" and mature with some humor and a bit of fantasy/horror...If done well, sounds like Preacher.

The reason why there is such a clamor for Flash & Co is because they have never graced the silver screen.

As much as I would like to see new versions, both Spawn and Guyver both had their chances already, so it's only natural that people are more interested in characters that have yet to be explored at all, like Green Lantern and Flash.

When you run down the list of comic heroes, it's pretty insane that Green Lantern, Flash, and Wonder Woman have never had movies of their own. Just think about all the characters who are comparatively below them on the food chain that already have their own movies (even if some of them blew) - Steel, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Constantine, etc, etc. WW and them are seriously heavy hitters and it's pretty amazing that they haven't yet had their own pictures. (Just think about that one for a minute - there is no Flash movie, but there's a Steel movie. Actually, don't think about it; your mind will explode.)

That's what drives me crazy about this JL debacle. It's like WB is trying to compensate for twenty years of having their heads up their asses, focusing exclusively on Batman and Superman, finally realizing "wait a tic...we have a whole damn universe of other hugely popular characters we should use!" But instead of calming down from this revelation and slowly and carefully giving them all the justice they've deserved for the past 20 years, they want to cram them all into one little package right out the door.

That's what drives me crazy about this JL debacle. It's like WB is trying to compensate for twenty years of having their heads up their asses, focusing exclusively on Batman and Superman, finally realizing "wait a tic...we have a whole damn universe of other hugely popular characters we should use!" But instead of calming down from this revelation and slowly and carefully giving them all the justice they've deserved for the past 20 years, they want to cram them all into one little package right out the door.

But it makes perfect sense from a purely financial POV. Superheroes are in vogue right now. If we cram loads of big superheroes in one movie, it might be a really big success.

I actually think GL and Flash movies could be fantastic, so i hope they try for those in the future, saying that, i hope we get a proper adaptation of Spawn someday as well.

Yes and no. I like it when they make movies of lesser known characters, but i also want a solo movie for WW,GL,Flash etc

It looks to me like you're making a mistake by assuming that the reason for the front page poll result, "They should stop it altogether," is because people don't want to see JLA. But if you read through the threads on JLA, you'll find that most people DO want to see a JLA movie, but they want it to be done well, and they fear that it's not going in the right direction.

You also have to consider that JLA at least has it's own forum for movie talk, hype and rumors, and it gets a LOT of traffic...while almost nobody ever discusses characters like Spawn or Guyver, except in very obscure and occasional or random threads.

??

For a long time, the characters you mentioned above, Batman and the Hulk, were also viewed as colorful and campy characters by most. And they still are widely perceived in that way. You might think that it's impossible to make live-action GL and Flash movies that won't be too campy for you to enjoy...I don't know. But if everyone felt that way, then we'd never know for sure, because the movies would never get made!

But it makes perfect sense from a purely financial POV. Superheroes are in vogue right now. If we cram loads of big superheroes in one movie, it might be a really big success.

Oh, no doubt it's very smart business; doesn't mean I like that direction.

My biggest argument about the whole scenario is this -

You save the biggest for "last". If JLA: The Movie is the ridiculously epic extravaganza it should be, then it should serve as the capstone to DC's current run of movies. Reason being, I can't see how something like a third Batman movie (with their comparatively tiny, down to earth scale) could ever follow the wild adventures of the JLA. It would be like following up Transformers with a solo Ironhide movie that tells a very personal story and his one-on-one struggle with Starscream.

iwould love to see DC bring some B character to the screen in the same vain as Blade, and to see marvel to continue that trend. And something other than a origin story for the major player.GL and FLash have great potential. I just want to see more quality storylines instead of an excuse to make a 100 mill+ popcorn flick.,

I think the marquee characters should be brought to the silver screen first.

I think the reason characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, and so on, are being made into movies is that they have been around longer.
They are classic characters that have stood the test of time, but have never made it to the big screen due to things like the FX wouldn't have been as good or comics weren't a big thing in movies at the time.

I'd say make both, but I'd rather see characters like Green Lantern made first, and done very well too.

Plus Spawn and Guyver have had a few movies, it would be nice if their movies were treated like a big budget film like Batman Begins or Superman or Spider-Man, but GL, WW, Flash, those characters have never been in a movie at all.

flash WAS in a movie artistsean, a tv pilot movie yes but thats still a movie

He was also in a tv show too, as was Wonder Woman.
But neither of them got the big budget big movie treatment that Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, or Iron Man have gotten.

flash WAS in a movie artistsean, a tv pilot movie yes but thats still a movie

The costume was certainly worthy of a big-budget movie.

flashTV.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"