Should Marvel Cancel Ant-Man?

The movie should've never been made in the first place.
The whole issue here is that Wright was taking an ensemble cast member(s) and isolating them into a standalone movie with no connective tissue to the team they've canonically been attached to for the past 50 years. That kind of nonsense would have flown in 2006 when standalone CBMs were the norm; but after 2008, the interconnected MCU --- anchored firmly by The Avengers flagship, the raison-d'etre for the existence of Marvel Studios in the first place --- took precedence, and Wright stubbornly refused to play ball with "the bigger picture" until the bitter end.

Guardians is a relatively isolated movie. There's no reason Ant-Man couldn't be as well. If anything, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 cautions against too much interconnectivity. There's a fine balancing act, imo. My preference would have been to use the flashback scenes to throw in a bunch of Easter Eggs, similar to Captain America: The First Avenger having Howard Stark, etc., but that's hardly necessary, it's just fan service.

If this movies script is a dud, they should either cancel it or push it back and have some new writers start fresh.

What happened to Marvels huge interconnected film map at the office that outlined how it all was going to be set up? Why was Ant Man the only movie to be this screwed up? If anything this film shouldve been the easiest to place in the MCU since they had all these years to follow whats been going on. Really weird.

Last edited:
Guardians is a relatively isolated movie. There's no reason Ant-Man couldn't be as well. If anything, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 cautions against too much interconnectivity. There's a fine balancing act, imo. My preference would have been to use the flashback scenes to throw in a bunch of Easter Eggs, similar to Captain America: The First Avenger having Howard Stark, etc., but that's hardly necessary, it's just fan service.

Guardians is isolated because it's isolated in the comics as well. GOTG has never been intimately connected to the larger (i.e., 616 Earth) Marvel Universe.

Ant-Man is a horse of an entirely different color. These characters have ALWAYS been *intimately* connected to the Avengers, because they're, you know, founders and all, and have been in every single iteration of the Avengers for the past 50 years. In fact, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Giant-Man have ALWAYS been known exclusively as Avengers, never as standalone/solo characters.

If this movies script is a dud, they should either cancel it or push it back and have some new writers start fresh.

What happened to Marvels huge interconnected film map at the office that outlined how it all was going to be set up? Why was Ant Man the only movie to be this screwed up? If anything this film shouldve been the easiest to place in the MCU since they had all these years to follow whats been going on. Really weird.

There's no mystery about it. It's simply that Wright took ensemble characters out of their element and tried to make them standalone characters. That would have worked in the era of standalone CBMs, but fails completely in the shared-universe era. Especially when, again, the primary characters here are *Avengers,* not standalone characters.

What happened to Marvels huge interconnected film map at the office that outlined how it all was going to be set up? Why was Ant Man the only movie to be this screwed up?

What happened is they let that prima donna do whatever he wanted, probably because they thought they didn't have another option and because he came into the picture before the MCU was solidified. But then someone took a step back and said, wait a minute, letting these bozos do whatever they want has gotten us in trouble before, let's set some boundaries... and the rest is recent history.

Orrrrrr

finding a director with a schedule opening only a month before shooting, for a movie that comes out in barely over a year, is a tall order. maybe.

We shouldnt even listen to anymore rumors until its officially announced that the film is going fwd or not. Just ignore it all.

Last edited:
I'd rather they just went with Dr Strange or someone.

The movie should've never been made in the first place.
The whole issue here is that Wright was taking an ensemble cast member(s) and isolating them into a standalone movie with no connective tissue to the team they've canonically been attached to for the past 50 years. That kind of nonsense would have flown in 2006 when standalone CBMs were the norm; but after 2008, the interconnected MCU --- anchored firmly by The Avengers flagship, the raison-d'etre for the existence of Marvel Studios in the first place --- took precedence, and Wright stubbornly refused to play ball with "the bigger picture" until the bitter end.

The simple fact of the matter is that Hank and Janet (and even Scott Lang) never required a separate movie to introduce them into their canonical home in The Avengers, any more than Wanda or Pietro did. Now, Marvel is stuck with this anomaly of a film that they're trying to fit back into place within an Avengers canon that's already been shredded by Wright's epic procrastination.

I see three options, none of them even remotely viable:
a) give Wright his movie back, and let him make his standalone piece.

Fanboys will revolt at the wholesale assassination of comic-book canon, but maybe the movie will find a cult audience for yet another quirky but fun Edgar Wright genre parody.

b) give it to a journeyman director/scab, and try to justify Old Ant-Man and his Padawan Protege requiring a $150-mil budget for a superhero that no general audience member has heard of or cares about. (Chants of "John Carter, John Carter" begin, ominously, in the distance.) Then, when the movie tanks in epic fashion, try to justify shoving those same superheroes that nobody wanted to watch into The Avengers proper.
Again: fanboys revolt.

c) Scrap the Ant-Man film altogether, and quietly introduce the core characters (Hank and Janet for sure, Scott maybe) into Avengers 3, and make them quirky and interesting enough to gain new fanbases (i.e., use the same strategy they're using on Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Avengers 2).
It's a crapshoot. Hit or miss. But it's not a $150 million gamble, and is a much safer bet within the most profitable franchise in movie history.

d) Just scrap the film altogether, and the characters along with it. Quietly accept your losses, learn your lessons, move on. An Avengers without Hank and Janet isn't the end of the world. Let fanboys weep for what might have been.

Imho, C is the best option, and the least costly gamble for the studio, and the one most likely to make fanboys happy since it's a helluva lot closer to a canonical approach than anything that had been reported in Wright's INO version of the Ant-M(e)n story.

So....C is the *least* likely option that the studio will take. Seems inevitable now that they're going with option B.

Say hello to the ghost of John Carter, Disney. Haven't we trod this ground already...?

C is what they should've done in the first place.I think a solo film could still work though,providing they push the film back a few months for a serious script retooling.

Ant Man got the shaft because of Wright,pure and simple.If not for him,Pym and Janet would've been phase 1 characters.The least the could do now is go through with a solo movie.

And I'm sure some people will be up in arms "I want Doc Strange,Black Panther,Ms Marvel,etc" but after the royal shafting Ant Man has gotten,he deserves prominence.

Yes. Not just because of Wright leaving, but because they can't get anybody else of value to direct either. If this many people are turning the project down, there is something seriously wrong with it.

They could also delay it and start over from scratch, but I think they've already sunk too much time and too many resources into this thing. At some point you have to know when to fold 'em. If it was me, I would forget Ant-Man for now. Focus on Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc. and then get back to Ant-Man at a later date if I came up with something. But for now, it just isn't working out.

What's wrong with it is that it's got Wright's pheromones all over it and no self respecting director wants to come in to do somebody else's dirty work on a rushed schedule.
That, and Marvel probably doesn't want to settle for a hack like Ratner to do it.

I wouldnt mind them shelving AM for now but introducing Hank Pym etc in future MCU films first. That's if the script is too unworkable/or Edgarized. If they can still make him fit into current affairs and have it be a really good film, thats cool too.

I say scrap the 70s communism crap.
Make Douglas-Van Dyne and Rudd-Pym.
You still want communists? We've still got Cuba fitting that bill in present day and they've added a couple of buddies in South America to boot.
There's no reason to make someone stick to Wright's plans now that he's walked.

Yes. Not just because of Wright leaving, but because they can't get anybody else of value to direct either. If this many people are turning the project down, there is something seriously wrong with it.

They could also delay it and start over from scratch, but I think they've already sunk too much time and too many resources into this thing. At some point you have to know when to fold 'em. If it was me, I would forget Ant-Man for now. Focus on Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc. and then get back to Ant-Man at a later date if I came up with something. But for now, it just isn't working out.

You have a st date for the film, and Marvel does two a year. You cancel it, and nothing is ready to jump into it's shoes yet to start the 3rd phase, which throws EVERYTHING out of whack.

It's more than just ONE movie.

Oh Man ANOTHER Director bails out. The script must be that bad

Or you know, Marvel wants to stick with its original time table, and Thuber doesn't feel it enough time to do the film justice and/or have other projects.

You have a st date for the film, and Marvel does two a year. You cancel it, and nothing is ready to jump into it's shoes yet to start the 3rd phase, which throws EVERYTHING out of whack.

It's more than just ONE movie.

If it can't be done well in the timeframe they have, then don't do it. Don't release a piece of junk just because there is nothing else for them to put into that slot.

Just start Phase 3 the following spring.

Marvel knows they need great movies before anything else. I doubt theyll risk making a bad AM just to stay on schedule.

Yeah,this is Marvel we're talking about.It's not like they need to rush Ant Man out when AOU is going to make a billion next year.It seems to me they have already made the script changes to their satisfaction (to fan's satisfaction,remains to be seen) and are just waiting on a director willing to take it on in a short time.

What I would do is delay it and hire a new director to take what is already there, and tweak it to his sensibilites. The problem currently is they're too close to shooting to let a director do something like this. If it was delayed, then I think this would have more interest. Also, we have to remember, this is Ant-Man. He already isn't a popular choice for directing a dream superhero movie. If say, Iron Man 4 had this happen, we'd have a new director in like 5 minutes. Same for any major Avenger. But Ant-Man, no one wants to be part of a troubled Ant-Man project. Let someone come in, fix it, and then film it.

What I would do is delay it and hire a new director to take what is already there, and tweak it to his sensibilites. The problem currently is they're too close to shooting to let a director do something like this. If it was delayed, then I think this would have more interest. Also, we have to remember, this is Ant-Man. He already isn't a popular choice for directing a dream superhero movie. If say, Iron Man 4 had this happen, we'd have a new director in like 5 minutes. Same for any major Avenger. But Ant-Man, no one wants to be part of a troubled Ant-Man project. Let someone come in, fix it, and then film it.

Yep. Agreed 100%. This film's release date should be pushed back to November 2015. Then Marvel can lock down a fine director who can add his or her ideas and thoughts to the script. Filming can start around October.

I'm thinking that maybe Marvel should look at a few of the director's they have had for Agents of SHIELD. Maybe someone like Jonathan Frakes could be a good fit.

I'd be very happy with Frakes. First Contact was a great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"