• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Marvel's animation division be better than it is right now?

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
I think even hardcore Marvel fans would admit that when it comes to animation, DC has been doing it better than Marvel over the years. After Disney purchased Marvel, I thought that with Disney Animation and Pixar as sister companies, Marvel's animation division would receive a boost. But since Marvel is operated as its own entity, it doesn't seemed like anything has changed since the merging of Disney and Marvel.

So, do you guys think Marvel should find ways to improve its animation division? If so, what can they do to make it better? Or do you think what they're doing is fine?

Yeah they need to step it up for sure.

Spider Man TAS, X Men TAS, X Men Evolution, Spectacular Spider-Man, all great shows, there hasn't been anything on that level of quality for a long time

The 90s cartoons are still the peak of Marvel Animation right? The thing is live-action films are more in-demand now. Even if they come out with great new cartoons, more people would still prefer to see live-action the films. So I think making films are their main priority right now and they are making cartoons to promote their characters that will appear in their future films.

Also, Big Hero 6 is coming out in theaters, so that one, might be Big Hero 6 in name only.

You know what would be super intriguing? A captain America animated series. I'm not sure if it'll ever happen though because it may not play out as well internationally as it did for the movies.

Plus the other heroes will probably get prioritised. I just think it would be genius to fill out caps wartime years a bit better plus the moment he gets found etc.

A Captain America animated series and even a Thor TAS would be intriguing. I'm surprised why they haven't done one.

Normally I wouldn't care because I haven't watched kids cartoons in years, but the 90s Marvel cartoons (specifically Spider-Man, X-Men, and, to a lesser extent, Silver Surfer) were spectacular (X-Men Evolution was quite good too). There was a level of sophistication that didn't treat kids like idiots, which worked. Its a shame that they've completely abandoned that.

Particularly with a Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon coming out, they have a chance to do something that audiences of all ages could enjoy. So, yeah, they need to once again step up their game.

Yes, yes they do

both in terms of animated shows and dtv animated movies
DC's output on the animated film front is really something I wish Marvel would look at; these heroes united movies ain't cuttin it, nor is Avengers Assemble on the tv front

Avengers EMH, was awesome..why they decided to scrap that show boggles my mind. Wolverine and the Xmen was also pretty good.

Their DTV animated movies have been trash in the last 2 yrs, though the Punisher/Black Widow Anime was pretty solid. There are so many classic stories they can adapt. Why they decide to go with nonsense like Iron man & Hulk heroes United is beyond me.

Marvel's live action movies are, almost indisputably, some of the best genre films being made today. I don't think they're as solid in the animation department, but I personally don't really care as
A) I watch very little cartoons and
B) I'm getting my dose of Marvel at least three times a year in a two hour live action movie, which 10 out of 10 times is more satisfying than any cartoon could ever be in my opinion.
I liked the Spider-man series when I was a kid, but I don't have any desire to start watching animated shows again.

Last edited:
I think the Marvel's peak were Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers EMH. Both are up there with DC's best work IMO.

The thing is we won't see many good superhero shows - Marvel or DC - for a while. At least not as long as Quesada, Loeb, Wacker and Man of Action are at Marvel Animation. I'll just quote one of my previous posts from another thread:

People seriously need to get over Avengers EMH. It's never coming back, neither is Spectacular Spider-Man.

Marvel has essentially declared war on intelligent and mature cartoons. There's no other way to put it. They've been open about it for a good while now and as long as Loeb/Quesada/Wacker/Man of Action are at Marvel Animation, things won't change. Same thing is true over at Cartoon Network and the way it views its DC shows.

Much like how there was a movement in the 90's to make these shows darker and more sophisticated starting with BTAS, now there is a movement in the 2010's to dumb these shows down. That's just the way things will be for a while. EMH and Young Justice were the last of its kind for a while.

I know I sound pessimistic, but I'm far more ok with the idea than I was one or two years ago. This is because many live-action comic book shows are on the rise. We're still having/getting a lot of potentially good shows, they're just not animated.

It kinda makes sense when compared to the times. The 90's was the Golden Era of animated television, and we saw superheroes reflect that through the likes of Batman TAS and everything that followed. The 2010's are the Golden Era of cable television, particularly Netflix-streamed shows, and we are seeing superheroes reflect that through Marvel's Netflix series and everything DC is cooking (Arrow/Flash/Gotham/etc).

Though to be fair, even 90's Marvel's best work still isn't on par with DC's best IMO. DC always had an advantage in that department for the same reason they have a disadvantage with movies: Warner Bros. Spielberg's work with them in the 80's and 90's raised the animation bar at WB as a whole, which lead to Batman TAS as we know it and everything that followed.

^ Agreed on all points. There was a noticeable decline in quality from the Spectacular Spider-man to the flaming turd that is Ultimate Spider-man.
One of several reasons why I think Jeph Loeb and Steve Wacker are both complete hacks.

Wasn't Spectacular Spider-Man from Sony and not Marvels animation division?

^^
Yes.

I believed once Disney bought Marvel that we'd get WB/DC level animation, but sadly we've gotten much worse. As much as Marvel Studios is successful because of the great vision they have, the animation department seems to have zero. The shows are horrible and the DTV's since the buy out are mediocre on average. Other then the fantastic EMH, the rest are a waste of time.

Last edited:
So Sony made Spectacular Spiderman huh. The awesomeness of that show more than makes up for any bad or average live action Spiderman films thay make

^^
Yes.

I believed once Disney bought Marvel that we'd get WB/DC level animation, but sadly we've gotten much worse. As much as Marvel Studios is successful because of the great vision they have, the animation department seems to have zero. The shows are horrible and the DTV's since the buy out are mediocre on average. Other then the fantastic EMH, the rest are a waste of time.

Marvel really needs to hire a competent overseer like Kevin Feige, and not Loeb or Wacker to take a hands-on approach in their animation dept. They may not have the creative eureka to make something as monumental as BTAS, but that doesn't mean they can't create another EMH or set a high standard for their animated series or DTV. They must have the same standard for their MS movies as with their animated counterpart, and sadly right now the bar is set much lower for Marvel animation. I kind of wish Disney would make John Lassenter from Pixar and Disney Animation to be the person who takes care of all present and future projects for Marvel series and DTV.

Get Bryan and Michael of AVATAR/KORRA fame to do a Spider-Man show in the wheel house of MARVEL TEAM-UP with Spidey going round robin for one season with guest stars, and then an Avengers toon that is actually engaging and well written. The seasons of A:TLA and TLoK prove that these guys can bring it as show runners. And right now ANYTHING would be better than the three shows that they put time and effort into which stink to high heaven.

I'd prefer something other than a Spider-Man or Avengers show tbh. The reason being we already had a great modern Spider-Man and Avengers show in recent years, so I'd prefer something different like a Guardians show (a good Guardians show).

I don't think we've seen the definitive avengers show yet but I agree we've had a few in recent years and it's time to try other properties. That's why I suggested captain america

If you guys don't want Mike and Bryan on Spidey or Avengers I get it. I just feel that there should be better quality animated product for both of them.

If anything, MARVEL should try it's hands at giving us a definitive FANTASTIC FOUR toon or trying something bold... How about trying to put out a series based on Marvels by Ross and Busiek? As much as I've liked alot of the DTVs that DCE has put out through WB, I think that too many are kind of low balled, both in resources and in the ambitiousness of what can and can't be done with animated adaptations.Marvel, if they did something like Ross/Busiek's MARVELS or EARTH X would get my money and respect damned fast.

X-Men evolution was a great animated series, Marvel hasn't produced anything close to that level of quality since then.

I mean, in terms of story telling, animated designs, animation quality.

Marvel really needs to hire a competent overseer like Kevin Feige, and not Loeb or Wacker to take a hands-on approach in their animation dept. They may not have the creative eureka to make something as monumental as BTAS, but that doesn't mean they can't create another EMH or set a high standard for their animated series or DTV. They must have the same standard for their MS movies as with their animated counterpart, and sadly right now the bar is set much lower for Marvel animation. I kind of wish Disney would make John Lassenter from Pixar and Disney Animation to be the person who takes care of all present and future projects for Marvel series and DTV.

Agreed. That would be to good to be true.

Even if it were announced that Kyle and Yost are overseeing the animation division I'd be real happy. Those two did great stuff with EMH and WATXM. They were also responsible for some of the Marvel/Lionsgate DTV's, particularily Hulk vs., which as far as DTV's go, I'm calling great. You just have to listen to the commentary track on it and you'll understand the passion these guys have for the characters.

Last edited:
I was expecting the Marvel/Disney merger to result in a lot more animated Marvel properties by now. All we've really got coming down the pipeline is Big Hero Six, which is cool and all, I was just expecting a lot more.

I guess animated movies take a long time to make so they're probably waiting to see how big hero 6 goes before they announce more

I guess animated movies take a long time to make so they're probably waiting to see how big hero 6 goes before they announce more

True.

But they haven't been making any big pushed on TV of direct-to-DVD either. I mean, yeah, they've come out with some shows, but none of them have been much different or more publicized than the stuff they did before the merger. And there's been a dramatic decrease in direct-to-DVD films since the merger.

I saw my first episode of hulk agents of smash today and I thought it was very bad. It was way to dudebroish and I hated the reality tv style cutting away to give interviews type thing.

I also saw another ep of ultimate spiderman and although I admit I might be the only one who thinks this, I think that series is going really well

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"