Should studios spread out blockbusters over a whole year?

couple years back january was when you put all the horror movies and comedies. Now they're putting more action and dramas.

January is used to expand Oscar bait (hello American Sniper) and as you say release terrible horror movies and comedies.

Expect 50 Shades to probably break records next month.

January is used to expand Oscar bait (hello American Sniper) and as you say release terrible horror movies and comedies.

True, however, I've never a Oscar bait pic expand this well upon nationwide release on its first weekend prior to American Sniper. Oscar bait usually post healthy and steady weekend holds until the week after the Oscars.

American Sniper is definitely the first expansion to explode like it has. The numbers are beyond amazing and my movie theater was hella crowded when I left Nightcrawler.

I was talking with FilmNerdJamie on Twitter, and he says American Sniper is definitely on course for a $300M domestic gross (if not a bit below). Thanks to the glowing word-of-mouth, Oscar push, and reviews of course.

I'm still shocked.

Ya there is like literally no competition next weekend

It could honestly not only have the biggest weekend in January but the 2 biggest weekends in January.

I agree with Jamie, it definitely could hit 300 million if things continue to go as well as they have.

I think this is a real turning point in Bradley Cooper's career. Sniper netted him his third consecutive Oscar nomination and it's a huge hit. Actually he has four nominations now because he produced the film as well.

Jamie now thinks Paramount will move Mission Impossible 5 from Christmas 2015 to January 2016, thanks to American Sniper's big opening.

American Sniper is definitely the first expansion to explode like it has. The numbers are beyond amazing and my movie theater was hella crowded when I left Nightcrawler.

Friday night's 8:15 show was completely sold out, and today we almost sold out the 5:10 showing. People are turning out in force all over the country.

The thing is American Sniper being box office gold in January shouldn't be a surprise at all. The only people who have made January a dumping ground for films are the studios themselves. This is one of those 'no s%!# Sherlock' moments for studios - a good film can make money no matter when it's released.

Agreed.
I think American Sniper would've been a hit no matter when it was going to be released especially since WB promoted it was a patriotic movie. THe same tactic worked for Lone Survivor.

I'm thinking WB will use the profits from American Sniper to offset the losses from Jupiter Ascending when it hits next month.

Of course, Jupiter could just defy expectations like AS did.

It's funny I'm not interested in seeing American Sniper in theaters but it's nice to see the box office come to life. Hopefully 2015 isn't as dull as 2014, box office wise I mean.

I'm thinking WB will use the profits from American Sniper to offset the losses from Jupiter Ascending when it hits next month.

Of course, Jupiter could just defy expectations like AS did.
. Considering bradley cooper also produced sniper i wouldnt be surprised if he winds up getting a massive paycheck for this movie at the end of its run. As for compensating the ( potential) loss of Jupiter Ascending.... to be honest wb really doesnt have movies coming out this year where it is almost certain that they will have a sure fire blockbuster.

I'm still surprised studios haven't move one or two films around accordingly. AS hasn't lost much steam, it's added another $9M from yesterday.

A lot of people are starting to go see this thing on principle now after all the debacle about it being so controversial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"