Should the CGI in the Prequels be updated?

We all know the negative reception these films have gotten, and what used to be very advanced special effects badly used, is now CGI that has aged quite badly, this is expecialy true in Episode I and II.

The Prequels will always be part of the main canon, there is no changing that, however, if any film needs a "special edition" it's the Prequels, the creatures now look like unfinished effects, but i'm quite sure Disney has more than enough resources to "fix" that.

They do not oun the full rights of Episode IV from what i understand, but they oun all of the Prequels, considering we'll most likely see spin-offs in this time period too, i think Disney should try remastering these films. They're still part of the saga Episode VII is continuing after all, so it's in everyone's best interest to make the look of the movies be more cohesive.

I'm not sure Episode III necessarily needs this, maybe a few tweaks here and there, but II is the one that needs the most retouches due to its overreliance on CGI, while Episode I had effects that worked most of the time with the exception of the Gugans, with how much effects have improved, i think their look needs to be finished.

Agree? Disagree? Is it more trouble than it's worth? I vote for specialized editions supervised by the Sequel Trilogy team for Episodes I and II.

Man you are an prequel hater, are you going to attack people who like the prequels

I can definitely see where a touch-up on the effects in TPM and AOTC would help make the films not look so dated or cartoony.

Man you are an prequel hater, are you going to attack people who like the prequels

Why should i? What originaly got me into Star Wars was Episode III. While i no longer find the Prequels as good as i did when i was younger, i found them to have some very creative planets and am still hoping Disney will eventualy try being more creative with the planets and creatures too.

I would love special editions with improved visuals including cgi quality for the prequels! Really hope Disney does it

No. Updating the SFX feels insulting to the people who worked hard on it at the time. There's always going to be improvements, so why go back and "fix" the others that were fine for their time?

Why should i? What originaly got me into Star Wars was Episode III. While i no longer find the Prequels as good as i did when i was younger, i found them to have some very creative planets and am still hoping Disney will eventualy try being more creative with the planets and creatures too.

From a dude who have a dumb Will smith avatar

I wouldn't mind it. There's some scenes in AotC that are really distracting because of poor CGI.

No, just leave the CGI as it is. I actually think that the effects in The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith are passable if not even pretty good at times (I actually think Revenge of the Sith's CGI - especially the effects on Grievous - is massively better than the CGI in the first Transformers film which was made two full years later). There's really very little (in terms of CGI) in those films that throw me out, and even the worse effects are still tolerable, at least for me.

Attack of the Clones is a different story, I'd be lying if I said it didn't look like a cartoon half the time, and sometimes the excessive green/bluescreening affects the actors' ability to preform. That said, I don't really care for the idea of changing movies that have been completed and released (I really don't even like the idea of directors/extended cuts of movies), if it's aged too poorly for me to enjoy, I just won't watch it. If special editions are ever done, I'd actually rather the effort be spent re-editing the Prequels, cutting and re-ordering scenes to make the story more focused and coherent. Overall I say just leave them as they are.

It's kinda pointless because even the updates will look dated in a few years. Though there are some cases where going back and improving effects would be alright with me, mainly fixing something that was viewed as inferior when the movie came out. Some of the improvements to the OT worked, like removing the black outlines in the Hoth battle and making the cockpits totally solid rather than transparent as they originally were.

The CGI generally holds up ... and I think negativity toward it has generally decreased over time.

The negativity towards the prequels in general has decreased over time. It seems to have a bigger following now than when they were first released. That being said, I still think that the CGI in Attack of the Clones hasn't really aged well for the most part but since that was the first film to really go all in with completely digital environments I can't really fault it too hard for that. They seemed to have worked out some of the kinks in Revenge of the Sith. The actors in particular seemed more used to the bluescreen at that point.

More observant eyes than mine have complained that AOTC softens a lot of edges in an attempt to disguise hard lines and make things look less 'digital'. HD and beyond has not been too kind to that. Correcting this wouldn't 'technically' be updating the effects, but might improve image quality.

Updating effects is problematic. Where do you stop with it? I'd want the CG Tarkin, Leia and Luke from recent Disney things fixed first tbh.

There have been a few positives to come from updating visual effects in the Star Wars series but they're few and far between. Some examples are fixing the lightsaber effects in the Vader/Kenobi ANH duel, a few of the added CGI Falcon and X-Wing shots from the ANH Special Edition to make them stand out more, the added Cloud City visuals in the ESB special edition to make it look like more of a sprawling city, and replacing the very questionably designed puppet Yoda from TPM with the ROTS CGI model.

But as of now, there's no point to keep going back and tinkering with the effects of past films. I think Disney and Lucasfilm's intention is to let them be. Now extended cuts of at least some of the films on the other hand, I wouldn't be opposed to. Namely ROTS since all the scenes where Padme essentially starts the Rebellion shouldn't have been cut since they both provide a certain plot point and give her something to do other than be pregnant and worried. But that'll never happen without Lucas's blessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"