The Amazing Spider-Man The Lizard: CGI or Practical

Believability of THE LIZARD could easily be done with some a skilled make-up and prosthesis team. I am confident most of the eye and tongue effects for that character would be CGI.

I think it will be a combo of both, but mostly practical, because on their tiny budget they don't have the money to do it right...

Given The Lizard will almost certainly be the main nemesis in the Spider-Man reboot, the question remains: CGI or Practical... or both?

With the seemingly lower budget of which has been hinted at, I can see them going the route of practical over CGI in most cases.

For me, if it were ALL CGI I would hope for something along the lines of Golum in Lord of the Rings or even King Kong, those effects were spectacularly blended with the live footage around it.

I would have to say both practical and CGI. I just don't know if the Lizard would look funny in a practical suit? I mean Aliens and Predator use practical designs, right?

I'm still wondering how they will do it, but you can't beat that tangible physical quality of practical effects especially given todays standards of puppet / monster making. The CGI would almost certainly add / enhance the Lizard when appropiate.

Your thoughts?:liz:

Definitely both CGI and practicals, but leaning more towards practicals.

But it's not likely the Lizard will be the main villian. Because this is focusing on Spidey's origin, my guess is that the main source of conflict is Peter's struggle with his new powers, the burglar, and his guilt over Uncle Ben's death... I think Doc Conners/ Lizard is going to be set up, and probably we'll see the Lizard in the last act of the movie.

I think they could do The Lizard very well in this movie. I think it would be cool if throughout the movie he was shedding his skin, so not only did he look scaly but like he was a rather sickly, freakish creature. A slimy, terrifying thing.

Looking at what the WETA workshop did in the movie Black Sheep, I think a mixture of practical and computer effects is the way to go. Hell, why not try and top An American Werewolf In London when it comes to the transformation? The Lizard is a rather shallow villain but is great in terms of the overall concept. They can really disturb people even without going overboard.

Just thinking about the VFX company who did Venom, now doing The Lizard scares the hell out of me. What do you do when you're horrible at both? I'm convince that they need to go outside of Sony if they want to make The Lizard look great on screen. Even when you hand pick the movies that you think they should learn from (Alien, The Fly, Predator, Aliens, District 9, Jurassic Park) in how to accomplish their goals for The Lizard. I just can't help but think, Sony Imagworks simply doesn't know how create great looking Practical/CGI combination.

But it's not likely the Lizard will be the main villian. Because this is focusing on Spidey's origin, my guess is that the main source of conflict is Peter's struggle with his new powers, the burglar, and his guilt over Uncle Ben's death... I think Doc Conners/ Lizard is going to be set up, and probably we'll see the Lizard in the last act of the movie.
That's a possibility, but I think we'll be seeing 2 fights between the two in the film. An introduction sort of fight, and then a final fight. Obivously, in the first fight, peter Would probably have already figured out it's Doc Connors.

Believability of THE LIZARD could easily be done with some a skilled make-up and prosthesis team. I am confident most of the eye and tongue effects for that character would be CGI.

yup. leave it to the knowitall nobodies of the internet to decide whats easy. you dont know what the lizard design is, so how could even begin to fathom about the difficulty of the prosthetics?

It's possible, but highly unlikely. Something like that would require at least 5 hours of make up, daily, and would be a huge issue during fight scenes when Spidey beats the Lizard up... and having to redo the prosthetics between each take. That's way too time consuming for any film.

The Lizard will be CGI. This film will be in 3D, yeah?!

It would have to be more than just the eyes and tongue to be CGI. I still think as a cominbation is th best idea, as I said. Have it practical in certain closeups and things like that, and in most fight scenes, have him be CGI.

Well, Legacy is doing the Lizard, so it will be practical - when practical - and digital when that is called for.

Kurt Wagner - do you have experience with creature make-ups and suits? I ask because of your comment about the 5 hour time frame you gave. The Thing in the FF took less than two hours a day, and I would think the Lizard would be more of a suit, thus taking even less time to dress the actor, so I think that approach would be very workable - as they have been doing so for decades.

No, Legacy is the company made up of Stan Winston's crew - formed after he died. They did Iron Man 2, Thor, etc. I assume Sony is dealing with the digital aspects.

Well, Legacy is doing the Lizard, so it will be practical - when practical - and digital when that is called for.
How do you know this, do you have a LINK?
No, Legacy is the company made up of Stan Winston's crew - formed after he died.
Stan Winston was top of the line talent, I'm glad to see the talents within his company forming their own. And I'd be damn happy if they're apart of bringing The Lizard to life. Provided that this is true.

Kurt Wagner - do you have experience with creature make-ups and suits? I ask because of your comment about the 5 hour time frame you gave. The Thing in the FF took less than two hours a day, and I would think the Lizard would be more of a suit, thus taking even less time to dress the actor, so I think that approach would be very workable - as they have been doing so for decades.

True, I suspect chest, extremities, and so on...the face depends on what type snout they are going for. Humanoid like the original, which could use a combination of prothetics and cgi. Or if they go the reptilian/dinosaur long snout I expect Lizard to be fully cgi...to keep it from looking ridiculas. That's not to say a prothetic suit won't be used for close up and slo-moving scenes.

I think if they went with the reptilian/dinosaur head, it would primarily be cgi, they could possibly put markers on the actors face so it could give Lizard different expressions and stuff. His tail could either be practical or cgi depending on the situation, I would assume fight scenes would call for it to be cgi seeing as he could use it as a weapon.

I think if they went with the reptilian/dinosaur head, it would primarily be cgi, they could possibly put markers on the actors face so it could give Lizard different expressions and stuff. His tail could either be practical or cgi depending on the situation, I would assume fight scenes would call for it to be cgi seeing as he could use it as a weapon.

Shouldn't the tail be CG, because a practical tail is pretty heavy and stiff, and would probably hinder the actor more than help him. Like the suits in Godzilla movies.

i like this Lizard

Spidey4-76189.jpg

Shouldn't the tail be CG, because a practical tail is pretty heavy and stiff, and would probably hinder the actor more than help him. Like the suits in Godzilla movies.

They may use the same method that they used with Dock Ocks tentacles, it can be a mix of practical and cgi.

I personally don't, but I've been on sets that had heavy make-up so I have an idea. If they took the suit route, that would definitely be less time consuming. But prosthetics is different than a suit which is what the other poster suggested. I know when they did Mystique for the X-Men films, that took a while.

The thing is with the Lizard, it would be more detailed than Mystique. The fangs and entire mouth would need to be moulded. The snout and reptilian skin would take time to put on each day. And they would need to move with the creature... not feel like it's glued on.

They are more likely to go with motion capture.

Motion capture would possibly work best for his face, he may be reptilian but I don't think they want him to come across as being a miniature T-Rex or something to that degree. He'll have facial expressions that may lean a little more towards that of a human being. As far as practical effects, I can see the hands and feet being prosthetics, depending on the type of shot, the tail could be practical as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"